CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007 ANNOUNCES DATES, NEW VENUE & FIRST CONFIRMED BANDS

WOW!!!!! Martyr is really bad. I went to the MySpace page....listened to a few songs and laughed. I have no problem with Novembers Doom. I will check out SHatter Messiah. I REALLY hope there is some decent headliners. As it looks now...there really isnt a draw to make anyone come out to this, I know there are just the middle tear bands, but there should have been more of a bang for the first announcement. Let me know if you need to pull out the big guns and get you Elvenking!!!!

That's great man .... I couldn't stand him either. He wouldn't shut up. He kept yammering on and on. He must have prompted the crowd to give a round of applause 20 times. Funny stuff !!

Britt

I thought Swordlord was funny. Not that he was cracking jokes but just his presence made me laugh. He was so goofy and not trying to be funny, he was very genuine. Nothing is worse than someone trying to be funny and not. It is very uncomfortable and painful. Swordlord gets my vote to MC this year unless they get Elvenking and then I will introduce them...nothing will stop me!!!!

Well my parents are moving away from my childhood home (Arlington Heights, IL), in May or so... to move to Coloradp. So I might just have to have one last visit at that home. And I might just have to plan it when this is happening ;)

I thought Swordlord was funny. Not that he was cracking jokes but just his presence made me laugh. He was so goofy and not trying to be funny, he was very genuine. Nothing is worse than someone trying to be funny and not. It is very uncomfortable and painful. Swordlord gets my vote to MC this year unless they get Elvenking and then I will introduce them...nothing will stop me!!!!
Well we did get a good laugh out of it every time he hit the stage, so in a way he was unintentionally funny. I know the guy a little bit .. nice fella, but just a little bit over the top with the metal, metal, metal thing.

Britt

WOW!!!!! Martyr is really bad. I went to the MySpace page....listened to a few songs and laughed.

LMAO!!!! :lol:

Just because Martyr doesn't have cheese dripping from their music, doesn't mean they're bad...must just be over your head....oh well, we can't all "get it". :p

At least we'll have one less whiner at the fest next year...and that IS definitely one of our other goals...less whiners!!! :kickass:

Powerfest 1
Whiners 0

:lol: :heh:

LMAO!!!! :lol:

Just because Martyr doesn't have cheese dripping from their music, doesn't mean they're bad...must just be over your head....oh well, we can't all "get it". :p

At least we'll have one less whiner at the fest next year...and that IS definitely one of our other goals...less whiners!!! :kickass:

Powerfest 1
Whiners 0

:lol: :heh:

I "get" the music that Martyr is making....just isnt good. I like alot of death, black metal and even some hardcore bands. I just happen to like Power Metal more than that type of music. I hate when people say that "you just dont get the music" if you dont like a band. I am not scared to voice my opinion about not liking bands.

You want less whinners at the fest this year....that is brilliant that you dont want people to come to the fest. I will be there if you have some good headliners.

Powerfest:1
Whinners:0
Guy with great taste in music:1

looks like we are at a tie.

I "get" the music that Martyr is making....just isnt good. I like alot of death, black metal and even some hardcore bands. I just happen to like Power Metal more than that type of music. I hate when people say that "you just dont get the music" if you dont like a band. I am not scared to voice my opinion about not liking bands.

You want less whinners at the fest this year....that is brilliant that you dont want people to come to the fest. I will be there if you have some good headliners.

Powerfest:1
Whinners:0
Guy with great taste in music:1

looks like we are at a tie.

Then why didn't you say that...instead of just degrading the band & their fans by simply saying "they're really bad"!!

And I meant what I said...we DON'T want whiners at our fest! If anyone is going to whine about the fest or the bands, we would definitely prefer they stay home!! Leave room for those fans who appreciate various styles of metal, and who actually want to support the metal scene in Chicago, and who appreciate the efforts that we're putting into this fucker!

Congratulations! You struck a chord with someone who's very passionate about metal, the scene, the bands & the fest! :Smug:

And I'm not scared to voice my opinion either...at the risk of losing sales as you would think. It means more to us than just that!!!

I second Rob and I know John would "third" it.....we're tired of
people pissing and moaning (ie WHINING) about the dumbest shit
instead of just supporting something positive happening in
the metal community. Our goal is to provide a KICK-ASS metal
festival, plain and simple, with the hopes that people will just
come out to support great bands, great times, great fans, etc.
instead of bitching about how far the venue is, how they have
never heard of bands 1 and 2 or whatever.....and maybe, people
will even LIKE band x or y that they've never heard of, or quite
possibly get their ass kicked by band Z that didn't sound too
happening from their song clips!

We're still at a point where we have to gain the trust and prove
that we know what the hell we're doing, but hopefully, people
will have a little faith in our judgement and just come out to a
killer show to discover some new bands, get reacquainted with
old ones, see bands they love, or by golly, just have a fucking
good, unbiased time!

I am happy as hell that there is a fest in my hometown area that keeps getting bigger and better each year. That is why I support the hell out of Powerfest, and have been pimping it out for a while now.

The timing is perfect for the Midwest, esp with the demise of Milwaukee Metalfest (or at least one can assume so considering their site has been down for months!!)

I don't see why anyone is complaining. Only 30% of the festival has been announced, and one of those bands is the first slot on Friday.

Keep up the good work gents!! And if you need ELVENKING'S number, I am sure Bob can get it for you.....

did you say WHINERS or wieners???? it is a metal show so it will be filled to the rim with weiners....there are usually not many girls there.

Wasnt trying to strike a chord with you...just voicing my opinion. I think the Fest is a great thing but to turn away from PowerMetal saying it isnt a draw is totally wrong...it wasnt the bands that scared the fans away last year....it was the club and amount of unknown opening acts and price.

Time is a very valuable thing....just to toss bands on a bill and hope that people just come out and support it is insane...I knew this guy who had a club and it was geared towards the punk scene and he booked shows every night and thought that people would just show up to support it....he was dead wrong. 2 months later...it was gone. Too bad because it was a great idea , just gone terribly wrong.

I really hope that there are some great headliners there so I can bug you in person, even though we have already met in person Rob.

All I can say is that Rob, Chris, and John know how to put a good festival and lineup together. Every year that I have gone to the Chicago Powerfest, I have walked away with new favorite bands, and those new favorite bands were bands I had never heard of before going to the fest. I may not agree with totally getting rid of power metal bands for the festival, but adding bands from different genres of metal only makes the festival more enjoyable, and less boring. I love power metal like you wouldn't believe, but having 10 bands that play only power metal all weekend long can get tiring, even for die hard fans like myself and some of you guys. Every year whatever bands are booked have something that the other bands in the lineup don't, and that is what makes this festival an amazing experience. I can't wait to see who else is going to be added to the bill. I really hope you guys don't boycott the 2007 fest just because of these three bands that were just announced.

There is no boycott, I dont even want all Power Metal acts....I just dont want a Milwaukee Metalfest. I think the best thing is too have a variety of bands. From what has been said that basically power metal will not be seen this year. I am really hoping the next announcement will be some good ones. Sorry to sound negative but I am not going to be one of those guys who will be a total ass kisser and say "great choice" just to fit in.

Bob - This isn't the Prog Power board. I haven't seen an influx of people going, "Hell yea!! Martyr! I have never heard of them, but I am sure by the fest they will be my favorite band!!!" (ala RAINTIME for Prog Power 2007).

I think you are simply upset that the initial announcement didn't have bands with headliner status. There are still 7 bands to go!

With only having 10 bands, I don't think Powerfest could ever become a Milwaukee Metalfest (thank the lord).

Aren't you glad that there is a fest in your hometown area that had the ballz to book bands like Tad Morose, Lefay, and Nocturnal Rites (Even if you don't like them all?)

I agree that Chicago has never been a "book them and they will come town", but I think the fest is quickly making a name for itself. So call me a brown-noser, but I am planning on going and supporting, even if my favorite bands aren't booked.

Bob - This isn't the Prog Power board. I haven't seen an influx of people going, "Hell yea!! Martyr! I have never heard of them, but I am sure by the fest they will be my favorite band!!!" (ala RAINTIME for Prog Power 2007).

I think you are simply upset that the initial announcement didn't have bands with headliner status. There are still 7 bands to go!

With only having 10 bands, I don't think Powerfest could ever become a Milwaukee Metalfest (thank the lord).

Aren't you glad that there is a fest in your hometown area that had the ballz to book bands like Tad Morose, Lefay, and Nocturnal Rites (Even if you don't like them all?)

I agree that Chicago has never been a "book them and they will come town", but I think the fest is quickly making a name for itself. So call me a brown-noser, but I am planning on going and supporting, even if my favorite bands aren't booked.

I still have faith in the show. I really hope it does great so eventually we can get bands like Elvenking, Crystal Eyes, Carpathian Forest, and Sabaton to play the mid west. I am really glad there is a fest close by....but not to start a war....if you are such a big supporter??? why didnt you go other than last year to the previous fest??? I recall you saying you didnt like the bands playing.....if you are not a brown noser, why were you not at the other ones asides last years. hhhmmmmm.

I thought last years show was run incredibly good. I just went for Nocturnal Rites and to check out Morgana Lefay who I was really let down by, but I had a good time.

I think the fest is making a great name for itself....that is why I am so vocal about it....I just dont want it to become a Milwaukee Metalfest, I want it too last many many years. I hope to be 60 and still be going and thinking about how great the 2008 show was with Elvenking and Freedom Call headlining was.

In previous years, I really wasn't too familiar with the primarily local bands who played the fest. That is why I didn't go. I had also never been at JJ Kelleys in those days. The fest has gotten a lot more exposure, beginning in 05 with Tad Morose.

No need to try to keep calling me out on it.