CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007 ANNOUNCES DATES, NEW VENUE & FIRST CONFIRMED BANDS

I hope to be 60 and still be going and thinking about how great the 2008 show was with Elvenking and Freedom Call headlining was.

And then we'll all be sitting around all sad that 2008 was the final year of the fest, since like 200 people would show up.

I'm as big a power metal nut as Jason and Vito, too, but I don't know that we really need ProgPower Junior. It was great fun the last two years, but it just wasn't working. I'm looking forward to seeing bands who are at the top of their game, and bands I've never heard of before. The latter is one of the points of having a fest like this, I think. Regardless of your personal reaction, if you talk to people who are fans of the technical death genre, you'll find out that Martyr is near the top of that pile. Having them on the bill is a feather in CRJ's cap. I'm not a big fan of Martyr, but I'll take the word of other fans of that genre as to who is "good" over my own tastes which don't go that way. And given a chance to see someone known to be one of the best at what they do, I'll take it.

I'd love to see a true power metal headliner one of the two nights, but if we don't get one, I won't lose any sleep over it. If I was in charge, I would have made this years' event with one Prog & Power Metal night and one Thrash & Death Night to see which did better. Of course, then what would you do with a band that has growly vox but more power metal music, like Mercenary?

I'm going, and I'll have fun because of

(1) My friends I'll see there and new friends I'll meet
(2) A chance to see some bands I would not otherwise be able to see, or might not make the effort to see if they played on their own
(3) This thing is happening in our own back yard, how can you not go?
(4) I can have White Castle before and after the show :)

Ken

In previous years, I really wasn't too familiar with the primarily local bands who played the fest.

That'y why the Chicago Metal Anthem thing last year was so cool. I don't think I'd go to a show to see one local band I didn't know, but when someone brings together several bands I don't know in the same place at the same time, then that makes the choice to go very easy. It's like a smorgasboard of metal!

Ken

I think the night of Power and the Night of Death/Thrash is a great thing. BWBK was going to do that for thier current fest but Helloween backed out and they cancelled the one night due to them not getting a headliner. I would rather see a mix each day though. That was the one cool thing about Milwaulkee Metalfest...one minute you are watching Vio-Lence, then Cage, then Windir, and then Exodus. It was great to have a mix.

My only grip with Martyr was that when I said I didnt like them...was the comment that "you just dont get it", it is the same issue I have with tons of Prog and Power fans...they go nuts over hearing certain chords or notes played or if a singer can hit a certain note....me, I just love a well written song. I hate when people say "you dont get it". I understand everyone has different taste. That is great.

Seriously....Elvenking has a cult rabid fanbase. That is the kind of band that people would fly in for.

But if they are not going to get Elvenking...how about Ensiferium or Wintersun?????

(3) This thing is happening in our own back yard, how can you not go?

That's kind of how I see it, though I will admit that I don't necessarily go to every local show just for the hell of it.

I do see both sides of the story.

There are fans like Bob who simply will only go if there are bands he likes playing, and doesn't look at it as supporting the fest. The moajority of fans who will attend are not the rah-rah supporters of the fest who post here on the forum who will support no matter what. I think this is Bob's primary point, right?

I am in the middle. I have come more and more to appreciate what goes on in putting this thing together. I want to see it continue, so I will support it anyway I can.

Thanks to all you guys for the support and kind words, we
sincerely appreciate it.

Bob, we're certainly glad you voice your opinion, we certainly
DO NOT want ass-kissers and worshippers here, we want to
hear what people honestly think and feel.....minus stupid whiny
bullshit. I think it was a case of your initial reaction just kinda
coming off the wrong way so let's just forget about it and see
if the entire package floats your boat!

We needed to make some kind of announcement prior to year-end
and while we wished we could have had at least one headliner in
there, it just didn't work so it's hard to see the entire picture from
just a small glimpse of the earlier slots. We never said that there
will absolutely be NO power metal, we simply stated that this is
NOT a power metal specific show and that we are going to put
together a very diverse package that will hopefully appeal to a lot
more fans so the fest can grow and actually survive.

In the end, I think things are going to work out quite nicely! :)

are you trying to tell me Elvenking is Playing??? or even Ensiferium??

I am really excited about the show...even ask Jason...we have spent many of nights staying up late talking about the fest!!!:OMG:

Glad too hear that there is vendors and food. that will be nice...too bad about the in's and out's, it is going to stink to have to hold all the stuff I might buy. Oh well.

Glad you see where I am coming from. I am not trying to bring down the fest or be a troll, just dont want to see the fest go down in flames. I want it to be a huge hit so we can have it every year. Cant go to ProgPower due to some felonies and cant travel. So any fest in our area is a great thing.

Just lil ole me's two cents here......

We HAVE been to every single Chicago Powerfest (even the one in 2000 when it was only one night), and the reason was simple, the bands and the people. My hubby and I have supported the fest because of Rob and Chris. That doesn't mean that we haven't been to them because of the music though. We NEED to support the metal scene here in Chicago!!
Every year, no matter who comes, or who plays, we have enjoyed ourselves tremendously!! We have not only listened to great music, but have met some pretty great people (in bands, and out). Where else can you get a band like Morgana LeFay, or Tad Morose, and not only watch them on stage, but get to actually hang out with them and party with them after the show?
To me, this fest is a gathering of great friends and great music. I have always felt at home there.....always felt welcomed, no matter what kind of music I lean towards. I hate that this whole thing has become such a "spitting" contest. Who is going to play really doesn't matter.....I have such faith in Chris and Rob, I know that they won't disappoint anyone. From what I understand there is a place in the Pearl Room where you can go to "get away" from the music you prefer not to listen to, why not just pay the small fee (and it IS a small fee compared to ProgPower), and have a great time! Support the local metal scene, and while you're at it, have a few drinks with a few friends? Who knows, some of these bands you may actually "like" after the fest? And with the show being all ages, and over so quickly, let's all party afterwards!! I know a few of you who are up for that challenge eh?
Like I said, just my two cents......if your from the Chicago area......go go go!!! Support Rob and Chris, and ALL the metal here!!!:headbang:
~Annie

Cool .. there's still hope for Mystic Prophecy (hint, hint) !! That is the one power metal band that I really, really want to see. I think they could pull off a performance similar to what Nocturnal Rites did last year, and Tad Morose & Morgana Lefay did the previous year. The negative I think is that these types of bands are not huge draws, but not many bands are.

Britt

I am really excited about the show...even ask Jason...we have spent many of nights staying up late talking about the fest!!!:OMG:

That sounds REALLY bad dude.

I agree with Chris. Let's stop all the BS!!!!

I am really looking forward to the fest. Can't wait for the other 7 bands to be confirmed.

Hey Diabolik!

I'm willing to agree that my "you must not get it" comment was like-minded to your "they're really bad" comment, if you are.

I was merely being defensive against your initial comment.

I/we certainly don't want ass-kissers...I think ass-kissing is the mirror imagine of always finding the negative in the situation (in this case Powerfest). We definitely appreciate your opinions...as long as they're yours & not generalizations. Criticisms are good, and we do give them merit as long as they deserve merit...but saying something or some band sucks just because you don't like them, doesn't deserve it...which was the reason behind my little outburst.

Thanks for your clarifications, and I'd like to think that we're cool now that we've both had a chance to explain ourselves.

Hope to see you at the fest...but if not, I'll accept that you decided not to go because, in "your opinion" ;), there just weren't enough bands to justify the price of the ticket (which, btw will be quite discounted this time).

However, like you said, the key is indeed success & longevity...and if we are successful in 2007, which we were NOT in 2006, I promise you that the likelihood of seeing bands like Carpathian Forest, Sabaton and yes, even Elvenking go up substantially! So actually, it might be in your own best interest to come to the fest. ;)

How's that for a sales pitch? :p

Hey Diabolik!

I'm willing to agree that my "you must not get it" comment was like-minded to your "they're really bad" comment, if you are.

I was merely being defensive against your initial comment.

I/we certainly don't want ass-kissers...I think ass-kissing is the mirror imagine of always finding the negative in the situation (in this case Powerfest). We definitely appreciate your opinions...as long as they're yours & not generalizations. Criticisms are good, and we do give them merit as long as they deserve merit...but saying something or some band sucks just because you don't like them, doesn't deserve it...which was the reason behind my little outburst.

Thanks for your clarifications, and I'd like to think that we're cool now that we've both had a chance to explain ourselves.

Hope to see you at the fest...but if not, I'll accept that you decided not to go because, in "your opinion" ;), there just weren't enough bands to justify the price of the ticket (which, btw will be quite discounted this time).

However, like you said, the key is indeed success & longevity...and if we are successful in 2007, which we were NOT in 2006, I promise you that the likelihood of seeing bands like Carpathian Forest, Sabaton and yes, even Elvenking go up substantially! So actually, it might be in your own best interest to come to the fest. ;)

How's that for a sales pitch? :p

I dont want you to think that we were never uncool. I wasnt trying to stir things up and cause fights. I am very very very vocal when it comes to metal. I have been into it since 84-85 and I have seen so many shows and suffered through so many lousy opening acts I cant take it anymore. I am very vocal like I said and wont beat around the bush and lie and say a band is good or I should listen to more of thier stuff to learn to like it. I have a really good ear for music...most things I recommend for people...they usually end up liking it...I introduced Jason to Dragonforce (before they broke out), Power Quest, and many other bands. I ususally buy like 3 to 4 CD's a week. I am not a casual fan. Once I hear a band and it doesnt click....I usually dont waste anymore time with them since there is so many bands out there...I know what I like, dont need a reason to hate it....why do people hate certain foods...they just do..it is like that with music for me....I truely hate "NuMetal" and Mallcore. It makes me sick. Does it mean its bad...no, but I dont like it....so I say I hate it. I guess I am a very hateful person...People usually love to hear me rant because I pull no punches. I just dont want to come off as if I was taking personal shots. I respect everything that you guys are doing. Ask Jason...we bring up Powerfest every other week when we email or talk...recently more since it is getting closer.

Odds are I will be there one day...if there are band I like I will be there for sure. I am interested in checking out Novembers Doom. Jason raves about them so I will check them out.

Ticket price is not an issue with me. I will pay 100 bucks to see a band I like. It stinks but i will do it. I am a very very dedicated person with things I like. I really want this fest to sell out so you can continue doing this every year and hopefully see Elvenking here in Chicago or even Sabaton or Ensiferum.

I was just scared that the attitude of "just book bands" and people will come.
I didnt want to see a generic fest filled with no names or generic bands.

I really hope for the best. cant wait to see who else is playing. If someone backs out...go for Elvenking.

Oh man....you would think that my kiss ass comment would get SOME kind of response....But Noooooo.....gotta reserve those for people who care eh? Fine...Fine....hehehehe see if I buy you guys a drink this year huh?
Oh...BTW....Rob....get in touch with either Rick or myself......we have some contributions for the afterparty this year ok? And don't go losin' no alcohol this time....was almost sad last year ;)
PM me....or Rick and we can figure something out.....(you KNOW I love those after parties lol)
~Annie
PS....love the new avie......fits quite well.....

Great to hear, guys! And GREAT CALL on Martyr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And :puke: on anyone who says they're a bad choice.) I'm not sure I can make it yet, but I'll see what I can do. It's a nice way to see everyone twice a year instead of just once at ProgPower. :)

~C

Well I received my christmas present of a plane ticket anywhere in the US, so I get to pick Powerfest or Madfest. SO LETS ANNOUNCE SOME MORE BANDS!!!