SATURNUS CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

Great job guys-- I wasn't familiar with them, but in listening to them online they are killer!! Great addition to the lineup!!!

Ive read all the posts in this thread today, and let me be the first person to say that the Saturnus announcement is the one that pushed me over the edge to come to the show again. I love Novembers Doom, but being from the Chicago area, I've seen them several times and while they are awesome and I have the utmost respect for them, they can't entice me alone. Solitude Aeturnus has a couple albums that I love, and several I just could never get into, and I've never heard of the other bands.

I discovered Saturnus around the time Martyre came out and I fell in love. At the time I was just discovering what the doom metal world had to offer, and Saturnus quickly jumped to the top of my favorites list. It took me over a year to find a copy of their first album, 'Paradise Belongs to You', and even longer to find their 'For the Loveless Lonely Nights' EP. When I heard they had broken up, I was sad, but was happy to at least get what I had. Then when the new album came out, I was blown away not only that another album was coming out, but when I got my hands on a copy, at how amazing it was. I know they've gone through a big lineup change, but this album rules and I am SOOO excited to hear that I will have a chance to see them.

Great job Rob and Chris!!! I know others are excited, and some might not be, but at this point, I would at least come to the show just to see Saturnus!!!

Paul... whose kidding who? If you Novembers Doom guys want to catch a European band, you just fly over to Europe and catch the show. You call your pilot from your limo and have him gas up the jet. The limo pulls up to the runway, hop on the plane, fall back into your plush leather seats, toss your diamond-encrusted walking cane aside, place your top hat on the seat beside you and off you go. You rock stars kill me.

Zod

I'll make you lick my rock star taint when I see you in Chi-town. :lol:

Paul... whose kidding who? If you Novembers Doom guys want to catch a European band, you just fly over to Europe and catch the show. You call your pilot from your limo and have him gas up the jet. The limo pulls up to the runway, hop on the plane, fall back into your plush leather seats, toss your diamond-encrusted walking cane aside, place your top hat on the seat beside you and off you go. You rock stars kill me.

Zod

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Denmark's melodic doom metal masters SATURNUS have just been confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007. The 5th annual metal festival will take place on Friday, April 20th and Saturday, April 21st at The Pearl Room in Mokena, IL.

S%$# Muthaf%$#s!! :worship:
I already planned to be there to support the cause, but now you got me there as a fangirl too! Damnit! :p :lol:

I'd like to start by saying that I'm looking forward to my first Chicago Powerfest and checking out all the bands on the bill, even if they aren't the types of metal I typically prefer. Benedictum is the reason I'm going to CPF. I have been worshiping their album since it came out and they alone make it worth the trip for me. All the other bands are either totally new to me, or I've heard of them, but not actually heard them (yet).

That said, after reviewing what others on this thread have said and the ways they have classified the announced bands, as well as the explinations/insights from the festival's organizers, I am still kinda dissappointed not to see more Power metal bands on the Chicago Powerfest bill. I was also feeling a little dissapointed since many of the anounced bands seem to fall into the darker (doom/thrash/death) categories of metal, sub-genres from which I have only ever found a few bands that I care for, so I am happy to hear that there will not be any additional doom or doom-ish bands added to the bill. Hopefully when the complete line-up is announced, there will be a good variety of bands of multiple genres for everyone to sample.

I really hope that the headliners are from a different genre. So far there is too many bands in the doom/death genre which will definetly cut some people off from going. I am going either way. People said last year was a low turnout becuase of Power Metal bands are not a big draw. Too get the largest crowd...there needs to be a better mix of genres. If not, it will be like last year, unless there is a huge drawing band as the headliner.

that is my 2 cents.

I agree. I am hoping that either the headliner or co-headliner fits more solidly into the Power metal genre. I'll be attending either way, but it would be nice to have a good kick-ass Power metal band heading up the festival. Otherwise I'd have to ask myself, why even bother calling it the Chicago Powerfest? (I already know the answer, but the question would still be at the top of my mind.)

I know that it isn't easy putting on an event of this caliber, so please don't take what I'm saying as an insult to anyone's hard work or personal preference of music. I know those who are putting the festival together (and have done so in the past) are working their butts off. I understand that it's going to take the fans' support, even when we don't love every single band playing, to make this festival into what we want it to be. I'm just stating my thoughts as someone who was looking to attend the festival for the first time.

I am still kinda dissappointed not to see more Power metal bands on the Chicago Powerfest bill.
If you hadn't had a chance to do so already, check out the stickied thread, "Once and for all, what is Powerfest???".

Otherwise I'd have to ask myself, why even bother calling it the Chicago Powerfest? (I already know the answer, but the question would still be at the top of my mind.)
I suspect they don't want to give up the name recognition the festival has built.

Zod

Well, come on. Let's be realistic.
I do completely understand Rob's and Chris' explanation behind the festival name.

On the other hand........

You have two straight years with "power metal" headliners.
With "POWER" in the name, you can certainly understand how fans would consider it to be a power metal festival.

Anyhow, I am happy with the way the fest is shaping up.
Though, I agree that some good ole' power metal to mix things up a bit would be more than welcomed....

^^
What he said. I'm glad someone was able to simplify what I was getting at.

I understand what is meant by the "power" in powerfest (even clearer now, thanks to Zod's direction), and I'm all for diversity in the styles of bands on the bill. But with so many festivals out there using the sub-genre they showcase as part if the festival name, I was just trying to say that the name can be a little misleading to someone who is not as familiar with the festival. I don't expect the name to be changed. I was just giving my take on the situation, which I didn't realize at the time of my original post is a dead horse already beaten repeatedly by others before me.

Well, as you can see below...back when we were still in the early stages of the fest, we had Novembers Doom headline the Friday night of the fest...as well as Avidost to open, who were more of a proggy goth type band (from what I remember). So this non-powermetal idea is certainly nothing new for us. And to be perfectly honest, the overabundance of power metal was not our intention last year, but we got pushed into a corner again late last year, & had to go with a few back up plan bands, which just so happened to be power metal bands...

CPF2004.jpg

Rob - Well ,since the time has now passed, would you be willing to tell us who some of the original intended headliners for last year were?

I understand maybe you can't, if these bands are still possible festival headliners this year or in the future.

Rob - Well ,since the time has now passed, would you be willing to tell us who some of the original intended headliners for last year were?

I understand maybe you can't, if these bands are still possible festival headliners this year or in the future.

I honestly don't remember too many of them, but there is one band that we had on the hook last year that fell through, who is back on the hook right now. Keep your balls crossed that it works out. :p

After the lineup is complete this year, I'll be happy to share the list of bands we went after this year. Who knows, maybe if we can get enough people talking & bending enough ears, it might help to nail some of them down for next year. All we know for sure is that we'll be starting a LOT earlier this year for the fest in 2008 if we choose to continue.

Sounds good.
I figured that if there were bands on your wish list for last year, that chances are they would still be there. I can totally understand and appreciate it.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see all of our responses.
They could vary from:
1) Awesome, keep going after them!
2) I would sell my kidney to see them!
3) You were going to book who? They couldn't sell out the restroom.....
4) I knew you guys wanted Elvenking all along!! (Diabolik)