SATURNUS CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

Just checking out Veronica Decides to Die. Sounds pretty good. I'll have to listen to a lot more to decide if they are my cup of tea. I live on a fine line when it comes to doom. Either it bores me with false inspiration and/or crappy musicianship, or it excites me with slow yet careful and interesting depth/musicanship.

I am not unhappy with the selection, just surprised from a logistics point of view.

Well, to be perfectly honest...it's all about the Benjamins & the enthusiasm/drive on the part of the bands to play.

EVERY SINGLE band on our roster so far is so excited to be playing, that they're making almost as much of a sacrifice to play as we are to organize the fest...it's really the biggest reason why we haven't just shit-canned the whole fest at this point.

Of course we greatly appreciate all the fans' support, and that's a big reason as well. However, there hasn't been enough support in past years for us to consider what everyone else wants to see or "thinks" would be a better draw. Right now, we're still doing this fest mostly for ourselves & for the fans of the bands we do invite...but also a great deal for the bands themselves who are willing to take a risk with us as opposed to declining because either they or their agents "think" they're worth more. :Smug: :rolleyes:

So, if you might be asking yourself why we wouldn't choose Band X over Band Y...let me tell you that it's because of this overestimation of popularity, and the undoubted ProgPower comparisons (regarding exposure & fest drawing ability) that these agents "think" of while demanding unreasonably inflated fees for the bands that they represent...well, cuz you know, the more a band makes for a gig, the more the agent makes...ah hah. ;) :err:

Trust me, we do realize that agents play a huge role in helping a band & their career, but some have unrealistic goals...and truly hurt the band more than help. :err: :rolleyes:

Although, every agent we had to go through for some of our bands have been incredibly cool & they actually do know the reality of what's involved. It's just a shame that more bands don't have cool people working for them as these bands do.

Oh well, maybe once our fest's reputation gets even better, things may change...BUT, that still won't mean we'll be able to make everyone happy...that will never happen!! Now that being said, we still have a couple bands/agents we're talking to that will hopefully pan out & will make many quite happy. ;)

And no, there won't be any more "doom" "or "doom-ish" bands. :p

Ouch...I was hoping for something a little more exciting. I said early on that I would be there no matter what...I've checked out all the soundclips I could find from all of these bands and it's just not my thing. I have my room reserved, but if there's not a solid headliner, I may have to back out and look to some of the other festivals.

*fingers crossed for big headliner*

Rob - That's cool. I totally can see where you guys had come from.
You were the one though who said that band's drawing power was more of a concern than ever. I think that's where some people are coming from when questioning the choices. I don't think anyone is in full criticism of the choices by any means.

The cool thing is that aside from Novembers Doom, the majority of us have never seen the bands on the bill.

There's so much that goes on behind the scenes on making a show like this happen. People always have their opinions on how to do it better. Maybe they should put on their own fest then?

I for one thank Rob and Chris for having the balls to do something a little different, and get a wide array of bands. This is FAR from a doom fest, and not all the bands have been announced yet. And for those of you who think the budget was spent on Saturnus, and not one of your suggestions, you're wrong. Saturnus and Thurisaz are travelling on their own, just to play here because of the impression Rob made on them when he joined us in Europe.

Saturnus, stepping foot on American soil for the first time in their careers? I find this to be amazing, and there are enough people out there who will be equally as excited about it. I'd rather see a European band I wouldn't normally get the chance to see, then several local bands I can see anytime.

Reactions: Pate
I guess the biggest reason why I wouldn't consider SA doom as much, is because I link doom metal these days more to the doom death genre...like My Dying Bride, Saturnus, etc...than the doomy traditional metal vein.

OK...I guess we can all agree that all of the bands in question have one sort of doom flavor or another & therefore would indeed fall under a doom catagory. So, at least they're all different flavors of doom as opposed to sounding like the same type of doom. :p

Either way, it's still definitely not an overabundance of doom. Not nearly like the overabundance of power metal last year.

I finally have time to voice "MY" opinion. I really hope that the headliners are from a different genre. So far there is too many bands in the doom/death genre which will definetly cut some people off from going. I am going either way. People said last year was a low turnout becuase of Power Metal bands are not a big draw. Too get the largest crowd...there needs to be a better mix of genres. If not, it will be like last year, unless there is a huge drawing band as the headliner.

that is my 2 cents.

Rob - That's cool. I totally can see where you guys had come from.
You were the one though who said that band's drawing power was more of a concern than ever. I think that's where some people are coming from when questioning the choices. I don't think anyone is in full criticism of the choices by any means.

The cool thing is that aside from Novembers Doom, the majority of us have never seen the bands on the bill.

Thanks...and it has always been drawing power vs financial investment...and EVERY band on our roster will definitely justify our investment through their realistic drawing power. Plus, you have to keep in mind that our choices so far have been business decisions to help free up budget money for more popular headliners.

We're just hoping that our decisions so far will indeed result in headliners who will suppliment the whole fest's appeal for a lot of fans & therefore help make this fest a complete success.

Reactions: Pate
I'd rather see a European band I wouldn't normally get the chance to see, then several local bands I can see anytime.
Paul... whose kidding who? If you Novembers Doom guys want to catch a European band, you just fly over to Europe and catch the show. You call your pilot from your limo and have him gas up the jet. The limo pulls up to the runway, hop on the plane, fall back into your plush leather seats, toss your diamond-encrusted walking cane aside, place your top hat on the seat beside you and off you go. You rock stars kill me.

Zod

We're just hoping that our decisions so far will indeed result in headliners who will suppliment the whole fest's appeal for a lot of fans & therefore help make this fest a complete success.

Well, that's a good point to make.
We haven't been presented with the actual headliners.
At one point, you and Chris almost hinted at the possibility that you might build around some of the already booked bands as possible headliners.
I think that's what some might already have on their mind.

Keep up the good work!!!!
You can tell the interest is definitely there guys.

Throughout the day, ever since you announced the possibility of an announcement, there have been between 5 to 10 at any given time browsing the forum.

I totally agree about seeing a out of country band over any local anytime. SInce I can and probably will end up seeing the local act sooner or later(most of the time..hopefully later). I am really excited to see the headliner announced.

Again...my biggest complaint!!!!!!!

Everyone's choices have been picked and booked. Where is Elvenking, Ensiferium, Suidakra, Sabaton, Carpatian Forest, and Freedom Call??????

This is Complete Insanity!!!!!!!!!

That is enough of my rambling.

Cant wait to see who else gets announced.

To Rob, Chris, Paul, and others involved in putting on the fest:

It seems as though you were disappointed with some of the comments about this latest announcement. I can only speak for myself, but I was not criticizing your efforts. I thought I would generate some discussion on the drawing power of doom vs. power in general or more specific dialogue on the actual bands themselves.

I wanted to put on a fest of my own. I looked into it, got investors to pledge money, and contacted some bands. I needed more help, however, and it did not work out. This was all exploratory work only, and it was very stressful and depressing. I can only imagine all the emotional energy that must go into executing the real thing. I applaud you for your efforts.

I've been at the past three Powerfests, and I look forward to attending this one.

I dont think that people are criticizing the annoucements or coming down on the fest directly. I think I can speak for almost everyone here. I want to see the fest do well so it continues. There has been some animosity brewing since the postings about a change in the direction and style of the fest itself. Everyone has thier own opinions of how it should be. I just really hope that the headliners are capable of drawing a large and diverse audience.
With out that is seems it will be simular to last years fest with getting one type of crowd. The best parts of fest is seeing the many different style. For a great example...laugh if you want...but at the Milwaukee Metalfest you would go from seeing Vio-lence, to Seven Witches, to Windr, to Anal Blast. You would have a very diverse amount of bands playing. It was great because you were able to get a small sample of bands you may never have seen or listened to.

So far this fest has a bunch of bands I would not check out on thier own but in a fesival package, it should be fun. Who knows..maybe I will come out liking a new band out of the deal.

I know most people see me as Negative and trouble brewer or a internet neer do well or even a raspscallion. I basically want to see the fest do great. I hope to be on this board year after year asking to see bands that they wont book. I think what it boils down to is that people want to see the headliners and any announcement that doesnt include them is a disappointment. Not that it is a bad announcement, it is just that they want to make plans and get ready for the show.

Sure I am not happy with all the bands announced. I hope that the last few make me happy. If not I will still be there.

I think also to try to compare the turnout with Power Metal vs Doom/Death is impossible unless the same size bands are booked at the same location. There are lots of other factors that went into last years not being so well attended. not just the bands fault.

so hopefully things go well and we get the headliners announced soon.

John, I know you were only stating your opinions & I certainly did not get disappointed by your or anyone else's comments. We knew some people might have these exact same comments/observations/opinions, and I just wanted to further explain our logic & why we made the choices we have so far.

We certainly don't feel like we need to justify anything...but merely shed a bit more light & understanding on where we're coming from this year.

And to be perfectly honest again, the way things are currently looking, we may have to resort to confirming one strong headliner for one night, & a second semi-strong band to share a co-headlining slot for the other night & hope feel that night's whole lineup is worth the price/effort.

Also, as I've mentioned before, the ticket price this year will be so cheap that anyone within driving distance will have to have their head examined if they don't think it's worth it. :p And in addition to the cheap ticket price, we will also be making single day tickets available right off the bat, with a discounted 2-day ticket price. For the lineup we're offering, the prices will be sick cheap. :puke: :kickass:

Unfortunately, the cheap ticket prices won't mean shit to everyone out of driving distance due to the other expenses like airfare, hotel, car rental, etc...but as we've also mentioned before, our main goal this year is to offer a kick ass show for the regional audience & any fans who come in from further away will be a very welcome added bonus. :kickass: