SATURNUS CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

I dont think that people are criticizing the annoucements or coming down on the fest directly. I think I can speak for almost everyone here. I want to see the fest do well so it continues. There has been some animosity brewing since the postings about a change in the direction and style of the fest itself. Everyone has thier own opinions of how it should be. I just really hope that the headliners are capable of drawing a large and diverse audience.
With out that is seems it will be simular to last years fest with getting one type of crowd. The best parts of fest is seeing the many different style. For a great example...laugh if you want...but at the Milwaukee Metalfest you would go from seeing Vio-lence, to Seven Witches, to Windr, to Anal Blast. You would have a very diverse amount of bands playing. It was great because you were able to get a small sample of bands you may never have seen or listened to.

So far this fest has a bunch of bands I would not check out on thier own but in a fesival package, it should be fun. Who knows..maybe I will come out liking a new band out of the deal.

I know most people see me as Negative and trouble brewer or a internet neer do well or even a raspscallion. I basically want to see the fest do great. I hope to be on this board year after year asking to see bands that they wont book. I think what it boils down to is that people want to see the headliners and any announcement that doesnt include them is a disappointment. Not that it is a bad announcement, it is just that they want to make plans and get ready for the show.

Sure I am not happy with all the bands announced. I hope that the last few make me happy. If not I will still be there.

I think also to try to compare the turnout with Power Metal vs Doom/Death is impossible unless the same size bands are booked at the same location. There are lots of other factors that went into last years not being so well attended. not just the bands fault.

so hopefully things go well and we get the headliners announced soon.

Without a doubt, probably the best post I have ever seen you make on this forum! :kickass:

You hit the nail on the head...the ultimate goal is of course longevity...and in the long run, we hope to make everyone of you original fest supporters happy by inviting at least one of your favorite bands. Sorry Bob, I really can't promise that ElevenKing will ever play...although, stranger things have happened. :p

Thanks brutha!! ;)

I'm going to guess, that to those who don't enjoy Power Metal, all the bands you mentioned probably have elements they would consider "cheesy".

While I doubt Nevermore is a possibility, Panzer would be a nice addition. You'd have to think, that given budgetary restraints, they can't be flying too many more bands over.

Zod

Yeah, you could call those bands "cheesy" I guess :) I think Mystic Prophecy is pretty ripping though, and pretty much no frills stuff. Machine Men is pretty much like Bruce Dickinson solo stuff. Sabaton is probably the cheesiest of the three.

Britt

Without a doubt, probably the best post I have ever seen you make on this forum! :kickass:

You hit the nail on the head...the ultimate goal is of course longevity...and in the long run, we hope to make everyone of you original fest supporters happy by inviting at least one of your favorite bands. Sorry John, I really can't promise that ElevenKing will ever play...although, stranger things have happened. :p

Thanks brutha!! ;)

JOHN.....I have been posting here for months and you cant get my name right!!!! It is BOB!!!!!!

Yeah, you could call those bands "cheesy" I guess :) I think Mystic Prophecy is pretty ripping though, and pretty much no frills stuff. Machine Men is pretty much like Bruce Dickinson solo stuff. Sabaton is probably the cheesiest of the three.

Britt

I dont know if I could call Sabaton cheesey. They are not Rhapsody or Running Wild. But they write some catchy songs.

JOHN.....I have been posting here for months and you cant get my name right!!!! It is BOB!!!!!!

Sorry brutha...I was totally thinking BOB!! :p I just got done replying to John's post earlier & between all this stuff & my full-time job, my brain's kinda been mush today.

I meant no offense & I do know your name...how can I not, really? ;)

See earlier I was almost thinking that you were drawing form a similar crowd as Maryland Deathfest. Till I realized that you are drawing from a combined ProgPower esque crowd and Deathfest type crowd. I really hope this works out for you guys.

I'm still considering going, as there is lots of shit at my parents place that is mine that I'm not sure if I want thrown away. So its a good time for me to sift through it. Affording the flight out to do it though is another issue ;)

Damn. Suidakra would be great.

I listened to some Saturnus. They are amazing. Good pick, guys.
I also just checked out some of their tunes ... not bad at all. I think I might be able to take to their music okay. I might wind up a Doom fan yet ... I really dig SA's latest .. Alone. Robert Lowe is an excellent singer.

Britt

You hit the nail on the head...the ultimate goal is of course longevity...and in the long run, we hope to make everyone of you original fest supporters happy by inviting at least one of your favorite bands. Sorry Bob, I really can't promise that ElevenKing will ever play...although, stranger things have happened. :p

Thanks brutha!! ;)
We laugh and joke about Elvenking quite a bit on here, but they are actually a high quality act from Italy in the folk/powermetal genre. They aren't a personal favorite of mine, but they do seem to be generating more and more of a buzz the past year. You wouldn't be hurting your fest by adding a band like that in the future. Some of the dungeon and dragon dweebs would plop down their dough to come out and see them play in the states .. led ofcourse by Bob !!

Britt

We laugh and joke about Elvenking quite a bit on here, but they are actually a high quality act from Italy in the folk/powermetal genre. They aren't a personal favorite of mine, but they do seem to be generating more and more of a buzz the past year. You wouldn't be hurting your fest by adding a band like that in the future. Some of the dungeon and dragon dweebs would plop down their dough to come out and see them play in the states .. led ofcourse by Bob !!

Britt

Yeah, Elvenking are really generating a good buzz, they have put out three solid disc and keep improving. I think people hear the name and instantly think Rhapsody style music about dragons and knights. The only main problem with them is the line up changes. Each year they have someone leave, then come back and then adding new guys and some leaving. I think now they finally have a solid lineup. They are a band that would surprise many if given the chance.

See earlier I was almost thinking that you were drawing form a similar crowd as Maryland Deathfest. Till I realized that you are drawing from a combined ProgPower esque crowd and Deathfest type crowd. I really hope this works out for you guys.

Well, we are "trying" to do something that will set us apart...you have to remember that there are a bunch of other fests popping up all over (even around Chicago) & we need to take those rosters into account as well..and that certainly doesn't make things any easier.

Bottom line is...we're rolling the dice, keeping our balls crossed, and hoping that it all works out. :p

I knew that having bands such as Saturnus, ourselves, Solitude Aeturnus, etc., would cause some controversy amongst certain people because of it being more closely linked with the doom scene as opposed to the power metal scene. But I give Rob and co. alot of credit for taking a chance and trying to do something a bit different with a metal fest in this country. You have Maryland deathfest which is mainly brutal dm bands, you have the ProgPower fest down in GA., you have the Heathen Crusade which leans mostly towards folk/black metal, New England Metalfest which, while still varied to a degree, leans mostly towards the metalcore/hardcore scene.....now to have a show with a mix of bands like Powefest does, sets it apart from the rest. It may not have a massive turnout, time will tell, I hope it does well. But whether it's a huge success or a bust, either way I still give props to Rob and co. for taking the chance and trying something different. I know alot of people are waiting to see who the headliner will be (I'm curious too), but regardless I think this is going to be a pretty entertaining bill. Hopefully some people will be open-minded enough to come check it out and allow themselves to be possibly turned on to some new music they weren't previously aware of? It's a nice thought.

Well, taking a chance on bands seems to be working well for Heathen Crusade. Not sure how that does attendance wise, but the buzz is strong. The line-up (sans headliners) is looking pretty good as is.

I am curious to see if the headliners balance out the mix of genres a bit.