My third video: Featuring Nikon Primes on a Canon 60d

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys, check it out:
http://youtu.be/M4w_0lxE2XE?hd=1

My third music video, "Kill or Be Killed" by Aquila.

As the title says, it's shot on Nikon primes with a Canon 60d body.

Comments & questions are always welcome.

Enjoy,
-0z-

*edit* The player doesn't seem to be embedding. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good to me, i like the track also!
i'd try a black and white filter or something like that,
could look cool/better in this setting!

cheers
S.

Glenn - the video is really nice, but that guitar tone is beyond amazing. Did you engineer this?

Bobby

Pretty nice !

The image framerate doesn't seem high, is there a limitation from your camera, or did you lower it as a decision, or is it the youtube compression you used ?

Pretty nice !

The image framerate doesn't seem high, is there a limitation from your camera, or did you lower it as a decision, or is it the youtube compression you used ?

i'm guessing it's a 20-30fps full frame mode to emulate film instead of that nasty interlaced bullshit that is common on video.

The video is 24p. Some of the shots were done at 30p with a high shutter speed, then slowed down to 24. This created the
"string warping"effect on the bass, and the "strobing effect" on the drums.

No software magic required :)

More details to follow.

Looks great and hell I even like the snare this time :D

Use the long link for embedding:

Last edited by a moderator:
The video is 24p. Some of the shots were done at 30p with a high shutter speed, then slowed down to 24. This created the

More details to follow.

sweet. I would like more novice info on shooting vids with DSLR cameras. I used to be big in to video/film making when i was in jr high school etc, but things have changed so much since then.

I was contemplating picking up one of those canon hv20 digital cameras, but i also like shooting photos of live bands and it seems DSLR's are being used for everything nowadays and you wouldn't have to dish out extra shit for the vid cam to be able to change lenses etc...

Glenn - the video is really nice, but that guitar tone is beyond amazing. Did you engineer this?

Bobby

Yes. It's a 5150 into an ENGL Pro cab. It's voiced differently than the ever-so-popular Mesa cabs & is probably the main reason why I score so low in the Reamp competitions! :)

Regarding the glass:

I was looking into some Canon L series lenses for video work, but I remember Nikon lenses being very popular back in my college days. I was trained to shoot completely manual anyway, so the AI series started looking pretty good. Especially when comparing prices.

Optically, they're good as, or better than the L series. I've got a 20, 24, 28, 50, 85, and 135, all for about the price of one L series lens.
A couple of them are Pre-AI, and don't rack focus too well, but the 50 was put to good use in this video. It's used for the most of the tripod shots at f1.8, including the guitar & bass closeups & the "z axis group shot" where focus is racked back & forth from the guitar in the foreground to the drummer in the back.

I didn't get my 85 until a week or two after this video was shot, but it looks totally unreal. The Bokeh is unbelievable. I'll have to post a sample.... it'll be on my next music video for sure.

More details to follow.

I was actually meaning it was saccaded, like playing a videogame with too high settings. Now with what I'm reading, I'm guessing it's a codec/flash issue. Or maybe there is none, and I just don't like the effect you used :) It gives my eyes a sense of "there are missing frames and it makes it fatiguing to watch".

Now that I'm watching the video again, I don't see this issue anymore, but still my eyes are telling me it's not 24i/s, but I guess it's me being picky cause I've started editing video a few weeks ago, and I'm being paranoid :) I'm maybe too used to 30i/s (the native iphone 4 framerate) now. I wouldn't have trusted my eyes would make a difference (24 is supposed to be the human eyes "framerate") but it does.

I like the bass string warping effect. I would have thought it to be a problem to watch, as it's usually horrible to watch something off-sync or faked in a music video, but this is short enough to make it sound cool :)

You're lucky to be able to shoot full manual. I shoot 100% in manual mode, but I wear contacts/glasses, and even with them I can't trust my eyes enough to take good pics without the help of autofocus. My eyes are still sharper than the autofocus, but it requires me a lot of concentration. Unless I'm using a f=10 or something like that and from a distance.

PS : BTW, for info, if I'm right, youtube HD is 24i/s, but Vimeo HD is 30i/s. I believe it accepts a higher resolution too, if needed, but I'm not 100% sure. May be nice to know when capturing pretty sweet videos and when you want to show it in full quality.

BTW, since you've edited this, how did you sync and then choose every take ? Did you just shoot the part you were needing, chronogically, or did you shoot several times the whole song ? Cause I'm considering taking funny music video clips with my iphone4, by taking like 30 videos from different angles of me lipsyncing/guitarsyncing/whatever to the song, adjust their starting point together, and then, editing it as a live performance, with a chronology. As if I had a track in a DAW with 30 takes and I chose the best part of all them every few seconds. Is there a way to do it quickly excepted by cutting all tracks at the cursor and deleting every other take as the one I want (which is totally not efficient, and if you wanna change a choice, you're screwed or it needs a lot of time to get back the deleted part of the other 29 tracks) ?

I know there are multitrack (eg : having all X tracks broadcasting live but always choosing one of them on the fly to edit them real time as they do in TV shows or sport events etc) abilities in some softwares, but I think it's only available on pro softwares, and usually only propose 4 or 9 tracks since TV live editors find it more than their brain can manage at the same time. Also, I don't wanna do this sort of things on the fly.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, maybe I should send you a PM ?

I like the bass string warping effect. I would have thought it to be a problem to watch, as it's usually horrible to watch something off-sync or faked in a music video, but this is short enough to make it sound cool :)

Actually, I sped the song up & had the band play the song faster. Then slowed it down again in post. If you do the math right, you'll get perfect sync.

As for manual focus, I wear glasses as well. The 60d will let you digitally zoom in on a subject, even with a prime lens, to focus up. Makes life much easier.

For the focus racking shots, I was using a diopter viewfinder on the LCD.