My top 5 prog metalbands! What are yours?

Im just gonna give you all a band to check out since the average favorite band list is about the same as mine exept this band , CHECK EM OUT!!!
Sphyric Universe Experience the latest cd is Anima ( Best of the Two Cd's )
There 1st is mental tormants
Amazing band, although I prefered Mental Torments over Anima.
Still a great album though

ok...........
i'll go for
1_ PORCUPINE TREE prog psychedelic metal .......Steven wilson is amazing i can easily say he's the most important musician in the whole world..awesome band
2_ CIRCUS MAXIMUS prog metal... amazing vocal and drumer,very powrful band and full of nice and vivid progressive melodies
3_am not really sure to say seventh wonder or dream theater but i guess if i want to respect the long discography and history of the band and for what they gave to the progressive music in general i believe i'll say 3_DREAM THEATER
4_ SEVENTH WONDER of course i dont need anything to say about those awesome guys
5_ ANDROMEDA progressive metal also from the great Sweaden a very sophisticated band, and they manage for many times to make me open my mouth as an idiot when listining to the progressive melodies of them

I couldn't possibly name 5 top favourites out of the myriad progressive bands I listen to, although I do have a first and foremost favourite - Dream Theater.
Other top progressive metal bands for me are (not in any order):
- Mindflow (surprised no-one has already mentioned them)
- Jordan Rudess (not a band and not solely progressive metal but he's done a lot of progressive metal material)
- Circus Maximus
- Seventh Wonder (of course)
- Myrath
- Ayreon
- Liquid Tension Experiment
- Andromeda
- Tomorrow's Eve
- Redemption
- Threshold
- Adagio
- Darkwater
- To-Mera
- Spheric Universe Experience
- Porcupine Tree
- Symphony X
- Pagan's Mind

The list goes on, it would be ridiculous to list all of them, but those are alot of my favourites roughly in the progressive metal genre. I don't see much point in comparing them as they all have their own styles, signatures, and techniques.

1.) Ayreon
Even though it doesn't really count as a "band", Ayreon still is one of the most brilliant experiences a Prog Metal fan can have. The other projects by Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Star One, Ambeon, Stream Of Passion, ...) are also really great!

2.) Fates Warning
Even though I prefer their first three albums ("Night On Bröcken", "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken The Guardian" - all with vocalist John Arch) are my favourites, I really like the later stuff they created, too. The band-project Redemption with vocalist Ray Alder is great, too!

3.) Steel Prophet
I didn't really know if it counts because while their first albums sound similar to early Fates Warning albums, nowadays they create music that sounds like a mixture between Iron Maiden and Fates Warning. But nevertheless they were my first prog metal band and I adore them!

4.) Threshold
I liked the first albums, too, as I love Damian Wilson's voice but their absolutely best albums in my opinion are "Critical Mass" and "Subsurface" - absolute masterpieces of catchy melodies embedded in quite straight forward prog metal songs.

5.) Porcupine Tree
"In Absentia" totally got me. I've been listening to PT a lot lately! Great atmosphere, great lyrics and some funny twists in the songs!

I could actually mention a LOT other bands. Like Riverside, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Adagio, Causemos, Into Eternity, KenZiner, Requiem, Harmony or Darkwater. I also like the two Circus Maximus albums and some Dream Theater albums. Then there's Tomorrow's Eve but I prefer their 2003 release "Mirror Of Creation" because then they still had their old vocalist. The one they have now doesn't sound that good. But still a matter of taste. Then there are several bands from which I only like one certain album. Like Enchant and their "Blink Of An Eye" album or... Spock's Beard and their "Snow". Oh, and if bands like Opeth count, too, I'd like to mention that I collect every album of them, too! :)

I hadn't heard about Seventh Wonder before "Mercy Falls", so I didn't include them in this list.

Spock's Beard and their "Snow".

Hey, cool that you mention that album. That is actually an album I am having a heard time getting into. I really love "V" and I also like most of "Day for night" but for some reason I find Snow less accessible. I get a feeling of "noise" or something when I listen to it, perhaps not melodic enough for me. Ah, I don't know, perhaps I should just give it some more spins -usually Neals stuff need some spins to really grow on me.

Let me know if you have any pointers as to how to attack the album.

All three are masterpieces
Yep.
icon10.gif
It's too bad that after his big comeback-EP "A Twist Of Fate" in 2003 John Arch didn't do anything further. Because that one was really great! Well, it's been 5 years now, so... :Smug::erk:

Hey, cool that you mention that album. That is actually an album I am having a heard time getting into. I really love "V" and I also like most of "Day for night" but for some reason I find Snow less accessible. I get a feeling of "noise" or something when I listen to it, perhaps not melodic enough for me. Ah, I don't know, perhaps I should just give it some more spins -usually Neals stuff need some spins to really grow on me.

Let me know if you have any pointers as to how to attack the album.
Yeah, you're right - Neal's stuff always takes a few more "rounds" than others in my player, too! And I can really identify with that "noise"-thing you say. I think that's because of the really big amount of "loud blues rock"-parts on that album. That's why I tend to skip tracks like "Welcome To NYC" and only listen halfway through tracks like "Devil's Got My Throat". In my opinion the piano-driven, more quiet tracks like "Love Beyond Words" and the keyboard-driven, somewhat funny songs like "All Is Vanity" and "Long Time Suffering" are the songs that motivate most and make the album more accessible. And of course the proggy overtures!
icon12.gif

1. Seventh Wonder
2. Circus Maximus
3. Pagan's Mind
4. A.c.t (not really metal but had to put them in anyway :) )
5. Symphony X

A sucker for scandinavian Music as you can see ^^

1)Dream Theater
2)Shadow Gallery
3)Pain Of Salvation
4) Savatage (based on the last few Albums)
5) Orenda

can I say just my favourite bands?? I mean, they are not all progressive....:heh:

1. Led Zeppelin:OMG:
2. Dream Theater:headbang:
3. Seventh wonder:OMG::worship:
4. Rush:worship:
5. Pink Floyd:worship:

and well, just another 2 because I think they are important too:

6. SymX:headbang:
7. The Mars Voltao_O

2 more??

8.....no just kidding:loco:

and my favourite prog albums:

1. Octavarium(DT)