"My Twin"

Divatkreació said:
Maybe it'll be clearer after the whole song is released and we'll hear the C-part also?
Deliverance6: You have an interesting point there, how did you think it'd be his child? (I bet Jonas is laughing to us somewhere in the dark parts of Sweden and thinking we're all wrong.)

that is just how I am relating to it more than anything......I have a 7 year old son that I have not seen in over 4 years......I just imagine my son calling someone else Dad.....I was taken out of my sons life....and there is much shame in that situation for me....I was a junkie......and Im sure that his mother thinks its in my sons best interest to not have me in his life......because he has a new father......despite my efforts to be a part of my sons life it has been very discouraging to keep going....because nothing ever seems to get resolved....and I still am not able to see my son.....

Deliverance6 said:
because it could have different meanings....and its up to us how to relate with it in our own life.....brilliant...

That is actually so true, it's amazing how some Katatonia lyrics just suddenly hit you in the way that they're written.

"I remember one time when we were abroad
And I was laughing at a book I had bought
You were standing against the hotel wall
Frozen in an unknown thought"

They aren't insincere lyrics, it's not some corporate controlled bullshit, it's something that has happened. An experience, something that's happened to a lot of people but under different circumstances, when you're meant to be happy together, yet there is a big emotional difference between you and your partner. Those lyrics are written so more realistically then typical Emo "I was happy, you were sad, something's wrong between us".

I was kind of disappointed when I realized that the first two lines of Help Me Disappear were not "Feel completly disowned but not that disused" because that was exactly how I felt after a recent break up.

"When i was thinking this
Was something permanent
You were already thinking
Of going away"

Jonas' lyrics sometimes hit a bit too close too home. They're hard to listen to sometimes.

Yeah, the lyrics hit a little too close to home for me too and remind me of how pathetic and lonely I am. Thanks Jonas! The chorus of the new song has had me thinking lately about how depressed I am because of something that happened years ago. I didn't even realize! Thanks Katatonia, I must go slit my wrists now.

-Vince

What about Quiet World's "I'm wasting my days, waiting for rain"? How many times have you woken up feeling like shit and opened the curtains to be greeted with sunny skies and just wished for the weather to suit your mood?

Well after my long hiatus thanks to my University, I've managed to find my way back to this site. After hearing the new single all I have to say is that Katatonia's done it again! I LOVE the new single and now I can't fucking wait for the whole album

Once again guys, excellent stuff, I'm so proud of you! Please come to Canada :worship:

ok coming back to the lyrics...this is what i understand

THE NECK, THEN THE CHAIN (THIS ONE SOUNDS VERY CLEAR)
MY HEAD IS HUNG IN SHAME
THE NECK, THEN CHAIN
MY HEAD IS HUNG IN SHAME

I THOUGHT, AS YOU WENT COLD
THAT YOU WOULD CARRY ON
BUT NOW THAT IM GONE
WHAT ELSE BEEN WITHDRAWN

CHORUS (EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS ONE)

AND AT THE END I THINK IT SAYS

VOICES COMING THROUGH
IM UNWILLING TO GO ON
YOU HACE LOST
NO ONE HAS WON

Hi,new to the boards but thought id sign up seen as Katatonia are my most consistant favourite band....love the new sample,reminds me of Last fair deal gone down a bit in terms of sound....but its fucking great and as with something that always seem to happen with Katatonia,this songs and its lyrics are extremly relevant to me at the moment...

epiphany said:
Absolutely fucking amazing. And I hate swearing. But this song is one of their best.

I simply CANNOT wait until this album is out!!!

:headbang: FUCKING RIGHT!

30+ playthroughs since I first heard it yesterday. I'm finding myself addicted to this song. I love the sound and production, the DAMN lyrics give me the chills and i'm shockingly finding out they can relate to me as well (as sweetness dies mentioned) and I love the rocking and chilling mood of it. It's these kind of songs I can NEVER get sick of and only Katatonia can create fairly short songs that captivate you instantly.

Man, why do I like depressive music so much? It's those depressive themes that always bring chills down my spine.

This band seriously MUST come to Canada or the U.S.

Alcapoth said:
:headbang: FUCKING RIGHT!

30+ playthroughs since I first heard it yesterday. I'm finding myself addicted to this song. I love the sound and production, the DAMN lyrics give me the chills and i'm shockingly finding out they can relate to me as well (as sweetness dies mentioned) and I love the rocking and chilling mood of it. It's these kind of songs I can NEVER get sick of and only Katatonia can create fairly short songs that captivate you instantly.

Man, why do I like depressive music so much? It's those depressive themes that always bring chills down my spine.

This band seriously MUST come to Canada or the U.S.

Dude, totally fucking agree! What a fantastic fucking track. Think the only other band who has ever managed to get me to listen to a song like this over and over is Mew with their She came home for xmas... The only problem, this makes me not so true in terms of church burning deathly black metal... Should I care anyway?

:OMG:

Ok I know lots of people have already put down there versions, but thee is a key part i think we're all missing...

The neck, then the shame
The hair is hung in shame
The neck, then the shame
The hair is hung in shame

I thought that you went cold
The truth carry on
But now that I am gone
What else been withdrawn

You used to be like my twin
And all that's been
Was it all for nothin’

Are you strong? You’re with him!
The one that’s placed you, above us all

I think our love, I let it pass
It feels like fire, but it won't last

And all that's been
Was it all for nothin’

Are you strong when you're with him
Who once placed you, above us all?

And all that's been
Was it all for nothin’

Are you strong when you're with him
Do what has placed you, above us all.

What is it coming to
I am alone to go on
You have lost
Noone has won

The key change being the progression of "the one that's placed you above us all", to "who once placed you above us all", then "do what has placed you above us all". This subtlety seems much more akin to jonas's stylke of writing, I'm not sure about the rest of the lyrics but I'm pretty sure the content of this version nails the inteded meaning closer to what Katatonia were planning.

Anyway let me know what you guys think, I would be very interested to hear.

Peace and love to all you with the good (or should i say similiar) taste in music, for those who find Katatonia depressing, can I suggest you take comfort in knowing that the feelings you have are not excusive to you, that they are prominent enough in all our lives to be worth singing about. I am filled with faith that there are so many people out there capable of connecting to there emotions and I expect are subsequently capable of living a life of enlightenment and happiness.

God I love this song! I can't stop playing it! I can't wait for the new album. katabonia, I don't think it's saying "The hair is hung in shame", but the "the one that's placed you above us all" idea is cool. thanks.

You guys forgot some lyrics, here's my take on them:

You're listening to the song "My Twin" from the forthcoming Katatonia album, "The Great Cold Distance" :loco:

That part almost sounds like a young James Earl Jones.

It's true :p

When I used to watch VH1 a lot and they were advertising boxsets, and I finally got one, I missed one song being mixed into another like they had in the promos :p