Mythological translation

Aeltherfif

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2006
Italy
can someone please translate me in norwegian this sentence:

"Ull, guide my sword in this duel"

And please i'd need also the phonetic translation of it.. like.. ehm

Luce (light) in italian is pronounced like: "loocha" (in english pronounce)

i'd need the same thing.. better would be a voice record :loco:

I'm not sure i've been so clear.. Thanks anyway

Well, I have asked before if we've got ANY forum members who are Norwegian, but I think there's only one, who's only here occasionally. I think maybe you're asking in the wrong forum. How 'bout finding a forum for a Norwegian band or something - you might have better luck with that. Here you can get translations into Swedish, Finnish, Polak, German, Dutch and occasionally a few other languages. Not too sure about Norwegian, though...

I would say "Ull, led mitt svärd i denna strid", which is more like "guide my sword in this battle/fight. Duel is called duell. Are you sure which word you're looking for (says the archaeologist, who is obsessed with the time period that you are looking for...)?
The pronounciation would be someting like Ull (u as in ou from "you", ll as in "light"), led (e as in "set") mitt (itt as in "pit") svärd (svaerd - ae as in the a in "accident") i denna (enna as in "Jenna") strid (Swedish r's roll, like a Scottish one, i as in the ee in "reed"). That's about as close as I can explain it.
Edit: Or are you looking for a specific line from a specific text (such as "Grant victory to me as I stand here" from Sigrdrifa), since you named the thread "Mythological translation"?/ T

Thanks, :) No i'm just looking for the translation of that phrase.. i'm in a medieval fencing club and i'm a (guess what..? :p) norseman, so since we do public combats i wanted something to yell before it, to make it nicer (thogh noone will understand it.. lol)
I called the 3d mythological because i'm calling Ull to aid me :p and yes i'm looking for the word "duel" because well.. i've red a lot of norse myths and sagas and studied about the culture and.. isn't Ull the protector of the duelists?

OK, if you are fencing, then it's a duel, and the correct word would be "duell". But, dear, Norsemen didn't fence. Rapier (fencing) was invented much later in history. The Iron age (vikings and such) is followed by the medieval age (the one you're apparently trying to recreate). Do you mean swordfighting or fencing? Actually, come to think of it, if you use the first option (strid), it'd be correct either way, so just do that. It's probably not that tantamount to you, just me bing anal retentive. ;-)

I said fencing because it was the first term that came up to my mind meaning 1vs1 in swordfighting.. i know that rapier's an (about) 15th century (viking age ended in about 1100-1200) weapon and yes i (we) do swordfighting with my 2.5 kg 11th century viking sword ;)

Öl is beer, but it is pronounced quite differently from Ull. And I always thought that it was kind of funny that ull means wool, cuz as a kid, I used the think of Ullr as someone soft and fuzzy and nice as a result of that. I always pictured him wrapped in a cloak made from those grey pelts you get from Gutnish sheep...
Anyhow, Uff Da, we finally have a Norwegian on the board! Yay!

I have two kids. They started out in Swedish, but for various reasons they've ended up speaking English. That'll change now, though. One of the main reasons was my previous line of work, which required me to speak English in our home. We've been hoping to move back to Sweden for at least a year or so, but apparently the Swedish government doesn't want us to these days. Looooong story, and I am pretty much heart broken over it. We'll see how it goes. We can still go for visits with Uncle Johan (according to my kids, the sun rises out of his butt, you see), Uncle Thomas and Mormor and Morfar and the rest of the kin, though. In the meantime, it's difficult for them to keep up a language that only their mother speaks. We don't have any friends that speak Swedish here, and my husband is not fluent enough to speak Swedish with me (he undrstands it). The Swedish school is well over an hour away, and so it's become more of an issue of keeping the heritage alive by way of culture. But as I said, this will change, as our situation has changed.