Ulver Translations

Fleischwolf

Carnis Lupus
Jan 5, 2002
Österreich - Austria
Visit site
so this is maybe a bit offtopic, but since so many norwegian guys are on this forum, i thought, i 'll post this question here!:)
I'd like to ask you for the translations of ulvers albums "bergtatt" and "kveldsanger", i really love ulvers lyrics og min norsk er ikke bra!:)
for "bergtatt" i just need the translation, but for "kveldsanger" i have no lyrics at all, so i'd like to have them in both norwegian and english!

hjælpe meg, min norske venner!:p :)

for all those, who haven't checked out ulver yet, the too albums mentioned above are really among the greatest ever made! the third of this trilogy, "nattens madrigal", has really great lyrics, but the music is crappy. really primitive black metal without any changes and the sound is inferior, to say at least!
well, the more recent ulver albums mark a total break in style and concept, now the play ambient trip hop, noise! i don't like their music anymore, but see for yourself!

There are Norwegian guys here? Cool! Show yerselfs! ;) Nahh, only foolin´around, I bet our Norwegian Girl Maffia would say something about it, and since they have not yet had the time, I interfered, thus giving them time to breath and actually translate the lyrics for you, I don´t have ´em...:D

-phyros ( Ohhhhh, nooo, I don´t have a clue what I am doin´)

i just remembered i had the lyrics translated, taken from the ex-official site :)
i want the lyrics for Kveldssanger too! but there's no place to find them :cry:

U L V E R
B E R G T A T T - E T E E V E N T Y R I 5 C A P I T L E R
S P E L L B O U N D - A F O L K T A L E I N 5 P A R T S

C A P I T E L I - I T R O L D S K O G F A R E N V I L D
P A R T I - L E D A S T R A Y I N T H E F O R E S T D A R K E

They awaited the Maiden's return
Astray She was in the Forest darke
-Her onlie Friende
The homeward Path - Hidden by spreading Snow

O could She but
Follow the starrie Trails
She would not be lost
Amongst these Spruces darke

Wooden arms embraced the foreign Guest
Sad was their Song to her
The Halls of the Mountaine Kinge
Clamoure for Christian Bloode

The Netherworlde:
"Near at hande; a Maid in grieffe
Handes joyn'd in Prayer
A Litanie rises to the Heaven above"

From Sprigges above
Upon her Head
Drop by drop as Bloode
From the Bodie of Christe

The Maiden:
"Alas! Alone In Foreste deep
Tonight, I feel and fear
No one remembers Me"

C A P I T E L I I - S O E L E N G A A E R B A G A A S E N E E D
P A R T I I - B E T W I X T C R A G G E S A D E S C E N D I N G S U N N E

Slowly, slowly She turns her Head
Listening to distant words
Spoken from somewhere Below, O'th'Heart's woe

The Maiden:
"Betwixt the cragges a descending Sunne
The shadows grow O so long
Soon the Night will come
To binde and imprison Me"

Downe her cheek a Teardrop fell
of longinge for those back Home
How She wished to hold&be held
And out of Sorrow rose Her nameless Payne

Shrunken in weepinge
Lost in the Darke
On these Midnighte paths

Asleep She falls on a bed of Moss
Silence falls upon the Trees
Then, o'er the paths of her dreams,
A dense Veil falls

Now art Thou by many remembered!

C A P I T E L I I I - G R A A B L I C K B L E V H U N V A E R
P A R T I I I - S H E S E N S E S E Y N E O F G R E Y

From afar She is watch'd
By eyne that play in grey
While above the Moone, silent, Glides

The Maiden:
"Cold eyne I sense
What Creatures are near?
Fast, far away from here I must flee
Or by force their Magick will steal me away"

Eyne hold her still
Caress Her from afar

Norwegian Nighte turns colde
When howling Wolves do sing
Thunder rolling (Fear rides in the air)

A snowcladde Worlde
-In silence
Alone She is, and astray
Throbbing fast, her Hearte
Her Bloode turning to Ice

The Netherworlde:
Here lieth Sorrow's Source
Between the thornecladde Trees
So faire a virtuous Maide
Her dreams invite the Dawn

On these Damask'd cheeks
On her Mouth bereft of Smile
A torrent of Tears runs free
While the Worlde sleeps

C A P I T E L I V - E E N S T E M M E L O C K E R
P A R T I V - A V O I C E B E C K O N S H E R

Awaking on shadowie pathes
In the deep green Glade
When a whispering Voice She hears
From deep inside the Woodland

The Voice:
"Come, if Thou wilt
In Darkness come
My Eye shall win Thee
My Hair shall bind Thee"
(Wordes tender and tempting...)

The Maiden:
"O sweet Voice, why
Dost Thou bring back my Payne
To this silent forest Glade?"

The Voice:
"Maide, what canst Thou wish to win?
Come follow Me into my Home
Bring to thy minde our Joy,
Our Harmonie, our Bliss"

The Maiden:
"I can not comprehend - I feel so strange...
Please speak... Must I, must I?"

C A P I T E L V - B E R G T A T T - I N D I F J E L D K A M R E N E
P A R T V - S P E L L B O U N D - I N T O T H E M O U N T A I N S

The Maide begg'd for release
Her Plea to no avail
Again a Maiden vanished
They used her as they pleas'd
And did not use her kindlie

To the Hall of Shadows
So cold the Mountain's blue

The Mountaine bade her welcome
Embraced her harshlie and hard
Again the worlde was Night
And She forever lost

Her dying breath a scream
A long gone Era, not forgotten
- A bodie once mortal, now Stone

The Moone faded, gone!
And dim be the Stars

Cry! Rain and Storm!
Far north in the Mountain wildes
Below crest and cragge
They play

@astarte: thank you so much. at least i have the bergtatt lyrics now! maybe someone has the kveldsanger lyrics too!

@djöfull: as i mentioned above, bergtatt is also great, even though it's not only acoustic. it has some great acoustic parts though! the rest is pretty much blackmetal but the vocals are often very choral and spheric.
nattens madrigal, the third part of the trilogy has on one side great lyrics about the night, (were)wolves, the moon and love.
on the other side the music is pretty bad! all songs sound pretty much the same, insane blackmetal carnage. the soundquality is unbelieveable bad, it sound like it has been recorded in a closet. only the first song holds an acoustic part.
the newer ulver stuff is electronic ambiet trip hop. i do not like it but maybe some people find it good!

Originally posted by Fleischwolf
nattens madrigal, the third part of the trilogy has on one side great lyrics about the night, (were)wolves, the moon and love.
on the other side the music is pretty bad! all songs sound pretty much the same, insane blackmetal carnage. the soundquality is unbelieveable bad, it sound like it has been recorded in a closet. only the first song holds an acoustic part.

Actually, I believe that Nattens Madrigal was recorded in a forest. But I rather enjoy the sound. Being a (normal) wolf lover, I hate things that focus on the "evil" side of the wolf, and just despise the werewolf thing.

But that acoustic part of track 1 got me into Ulver and made me go out and buy Kveldsfanger before NM even.

Greetings to you, nomad!

recorded in a forest? interesting! were did they plug their instruments in? could you tell me, where you've got this information from?
i am fascinated about wolves, as you can tell by my name!:) also about werewolves! there is so much animalism and also romantic poetry in this creature! i guess you are familiar with the lyrics from "nattens madrigal". i think this is nothing short of poetry at it's best! that's why i thought it's a pitty, that the music is so uninspirating (at least in my view)! if it would have been as great as on "kveldsanger" or "bergtatt", it would have been a flawless masterpeace!

I think we can leave it to Fjelltussa to translate Ulver
as well >:eek:) She's already had the advantage of
practising her translation on Vintersorg ;o)

So, are you up for it Fjelltussa? I would hate to do it
myself, because it would be such a poor translation :eek:P

I don't remember where I heard the forest thing about. It was so long ago that it has turned into fact by now. Doing a search on yahoo or whatever for "Ulver forest record" gives a couple results.

I had another point, repeating myself about how I despise werewolves and other such myths as perpetuating the "wolf is evil" label, but I'm too lazy to expound on it now...

rob

Originally posted by Fleischwolf
recorded in a forest? interesting! were did they plug their instruments in?

It wasn't recorded in a forest.

It was made to sound horrible on purpose though. How anyone can listen to an album that sounds like a running weedwhacker is beyond me. I don't doubt there's cool stuff going on in there, but I wouldn't eat pizza with shit sauce covering it, if you take my meaning.

Sure I will translate it, if only someone will provide me with the norwegian lyrics.

About wolfs and nature, good and evil: I think that good/evil don't really exist among humans either. After all; we're nature to. I think evil and good are just words that we use to explain what works against our primal instinct (survival) and what works along with it. Good for someone may be evil for others, and the other way around. Doing something you believe is right will be "good" to you, but it may be seen as "evil" for someone else. Take Hitler: To me what he did seem evil; that guy should be killed as an infant! But he didn't believe so. He thought what he did it was good; that it was right, and to the best for mankind. ...Anyone get my point?

i would provide you with the norsk lyrics, if i would be able to find them anywhere! it seems like garm didn't publish them at all! what a fucking shame! i don't know how hard it is to hear the lyrics on the album! the singing isn't very easy to understand! i understand hardy anything on the cd except "Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne":D!
but then my norsk isn't good at all and the lyrics are written in a quite old and archaic form, from what i know!
blackspirit, you said, you would translate them, if fjelltussa doesn't, does that mean, that you can hear the words from the cd? well, thanks for your hassle anyway!:D

@fjelltussa:i do get your point about good and bad! i'm not sure about those moral standards in our society. but again, i wouldn't like to live in a world, where everybody could just do what he wants, for instance killing another person! very complicated topic!:)

Don't have the cd, you see, so I don't know if I would understand what they say.
So you understood - great! :) ...Aah, but you didn't get the impression that I would like to live in a society where anyone could just kill you, I hope..? (I don't) If something near, it would have to be like the norse society, at least. There were rules there - not written but very clear nonetheless. Well, that's not very near at all, btw, so this was a silly thing to say...

you are interested in norse mythology and do not own the kveldssanger cd? shame on you!;)
please get it, not just to translate it, but it's really a masterpeace!!
yeah i'd like to bring back the values of the norse society too, like it was before christianty! there was so much wisdom in the ancient germanic societies. please forget about hitler, what he did wasn't like that at all! isn't it a shame that we can't use the swastika(which is sanscrit, forgot what it means though!), the sunwheel, an ancient symbol for life in many cultures, because this idiot missused it for his purpose! :(
well, christianity isn't that much a problem nowadays, it's more that people don't believe in anything. nothing is sacred, nature, old wisdom!
yeah let's give me mtv and fucking talkshows! all this crap coming over here from america(sorry, guys, didn't mean to insult you, i guess the american guys here aren't to much into this crap eighter). when i look around and see "normal" people, i don't have much hope! but when i look on this board, i see people who think! that is great!:D

Sorry... That's for myself - I'm going to get it, promise!

And, yes I'm interested in norse mythology - I'm a pagan. And I agree with you about swastika. We talked about that last time I went to a blot. It makes me so pissed, and at the same time both sad and frustrated. We should take it back, but how? I hate the way so many ppl think that norse customs and beliefs are nazi. There's a nazi goup here in Norway that baptise children and marry people in the name of Thor and Frøya. It doesn't exactly help that ppl know about that... When I think about this I wish there was a hell....
Oh, but there's so much to say about it, I don't know where to start... But there's a great page about that that I've seen. Anyone interesed shoul check it out!

http://www.grolheim.dk