Lyric translations?

So this really became the language thread! :D well, i don't mind since i'm very interested in language!:D

Originally posted by Djöfull
man! esperanto looks like jibberish, the colonization ruined the chance for that language to evolve...

What's jibberish?:eek: :confused:

I have a bad experience with Germans trying to speak english... so I´m forced to speak German with them which is good and challenging from my point of view at least
you mean you have a problem with the way they pronounce it? bat se inglisch of dschörmän spiekers is wery gut!:lol: :p

Originally posted by Fjelltussa
Guess it's not that important - or shouldn't be - but language is a part of my identity

right! for me too, that's why i don't like all those anglicisms in our language today! ok i don't mind words like internet, but when threre's a german word for it then why use an english one just to be "cool"! some people really overdo this thing!

@djöful:i've heard that icelandic is a very conservative language! you don't use any foreign words in it! whenever there's a new invention or so, you make up your own name for it!

i've also herad that icelandic allmost didn't change within the last 1000 years since the first settlers from norway brought the ancient norse language with them!

jibberish= poppycock,bullshit, incomprehensible...

german pronunciation yeah !or they just reply in german when spoken to in englisch!
zat iss nott gut... zis is not vönnie, I´m nott lefin!
the thing is.. that the other nordic languages are a lot more“polluted” by english, (french, latin and so on)
we have many words for the internet like: netið, veraldarvefur, but many people use internet also :þ

Yup, we are very conservative, there are a few foreign words, but they are adapted to icelandic grammar and conjugate according to it... however out in the street we use the occasional english word... but in print it´s considered unappropriate, as an excuse there is put “(word) “ around the word.

the awakening started in the 19. century when poets and writers and other intellectuals
were dissatisfied with the danish officials and the impact of danish on the language and started a nationalist movement
In fact the danish gramatician/linguistic Rasmus Rask predicted in 1850(?)that the language would be extinct by 2000!

some modern words:
computer= tölva = a mix of the words "völva"= a fortune teller/witch and "tala"= a number ehm... ciffre 1.2.3.4.5.6...
helicopter = þyrla

the first settlers arrived in aprox. 873 ( some irish monks were here before but they didn´t settle) and most of the sagas were written between 1100-1300 and have been later rewritten... I understand about 99% of the vocabulary... the words that I don´t understand I just look’em up in a glossary( if there is one in the book)

did you know that the letters “þ / ޔ (like the th in thorn, three) and”ð / Ð ( like th in there, those, heathen)were actually taken from the english alphabet in 14 hundred-and-something? the English stopped using it: suckers!

did you know that the letters “þ / ޔ (like the th in thorn, three) and”ð / Ð ( like th in there, those, heathen)were actually taken from the english alphabet in 14 hundred-and-something? the English stopped using it: suckers!
I didn't know that :) thank you, i love history :)

i'm jealous though, 'cause here in Chile nobody values history or traditions. wherever you go there's a McDonald's, everybody slips english words in conversations and don't even know a spanish word to translate it...
our natives aren't even considered chilean and they're being cast out from their land which was stolen to built hidroelectric...hm.. (i don't know the world in english 'represas' :confused: ) and to cut down the native forest :cry: marichiwew!* :mad:

*10 times we will vanquish :)