Translation of VINTERSORG lyrics/titles

so, when you've figured out the lyric, you've figure out the fate and mystery of the universe..hehehehe...but seriously, the lyric is meant to trigger you to dig into it, we don't give answers, we set the questions.....

mr V

Hail northern people !
I would like to learn more about swedish or norvegian languages, and try to learn them (a little bit to start). Does anyone know a method that i can find on the web like swedish for newbies ?
Just a detail : I m french (damned country !) so i know it s quite difficult to find something between french<->swedish so english method is better
Thanks a lot !

EdgeCrusher77 said:
Hail northern people !
I would like to learn more about swedish or norvegian languages, and try to learn them (a little bit to start). Does anyone know a method that i can find on the web like swedish for newbies ?
Just a detail : I m french (damned country !) so i know it s quite difficult to find something between french<->swedish so english method is better
Thanks a lot !

Don't worry! I want to learn Swedish too!! And even worse, i am not french but greek!!

So, yes people, it would be great if you could tell us an easy way to learn swedish...

Actually, as concerns me, I will move to sweden in 1,5 year from now. So, I would like just one advice from you. Would it be better if I start learning swedish now, or should i leave it until i come to sweden?

...of course it is the best to know next to nothing about the language of the country you are going to live in :rolleyes:

as for learning Swedish:
there are a couple of the sites on the net telling about the very basics but you won't learn the language just by going through them.
Here's one in English: http://web.hhs.se/isa/swedish/

Everybody will have to find their own way. I tried in self-study a couple of years ago but gave up on not having really an idea of how to pronounce it.
At the beginning of this year I started again, this time in a Swedish course and while I could learn the words and grammar on my own it is much more fun in a group. For me being German it is often not that difficult to understand written texts since there are a lot of similarities and a lot of unknown words can easily be guessed. I even managed to translate a Vintersorg interview and didn't have to look up every single word ;) Choose texts you know at least a bit what's it about and texts that you're interested in.
I haven't clue how many years it will take me to understand someone talking though. And how many decades until I can speak it myself :D Only listening to V won't do. From time to time I go through hell listening to the most boring radio programme I could find: P1 :lol: Less music, much more talking - which (un)fortunately I don't understand anyway. Phyros laughed his ass of when I told him that.

So much for my random thoughts on this.

hehe... P1 !!!
Phyros ain't the only one laughing now...
lol.gif

Anyway, I guess there is no easy way in learning another language. And as Gaunerin said; listening to Vintersorg's lyrics will not do. In fact, his lyrics might only confuse you further. I am Swedish, have lived here all my life and I have been looking up so many "vintersorg-words" in dictionaries and stuff, so...
But keep on trying the best you can! Or you can buy a child's-book in Swedish!
supergrin.gif

NP: Vintersorg - A Metaphysical Drama

Thanks a lot for this link :hotjump: ! Every trip start with one step...

Gaunerin said:
...of course it is the best to know next to nothing about the language of the country you are going to live in :rolleyes:

as for learning Swedish:
there are a couple of the sites on the net telling about the very basics but you won't learn the language just by going through them.
Here's one in English: http://web.hhs.se/isa/swedish/

Everybody will have to find their own way. I tried in self-study a couple of years ago but gave up on not having really an idea of how to pronounce it.
At the beginning of this year I started again, this time in a Swedish course and while I could learn the words and grammar on my own it is much more fun in a group. For me being German it is often not that difficult to understand written texts since there are a lot of similarities and a lot of unknown words can easily be guessed. I even managed to translate a Vintersorg interview and didn't have to look up every single word ;) Choose texts you know at least a bit what's it about and texts that you're interested in.
I haven't clue how many years it will take me to understand someone talking though. And how many decades until I can speak it myself :D Only listening to V won't do. From time to time I go through hell listening to the most boring radio programme I could find: P1 :lol: Less music, much more talking - which (un)fortunately I don't understand anyway. Phyros laughed his ass of when I told him that.

So much for my random thoughts on this.

I'm trying to learn swedish too... But i don't even know how to speak a good english... And guess what... I'm brazilian... If you think it's hard to find material on europe... Try to imagine how it is in here... I had started to learn(self-learning) about three months ago, but i'ts very hard to find material about it(thanks for the sites, they are great). If i find any child book in swedish i'll buy it, but by that time it will be snowing in Brazil and making 45ºC in Sweden :D

Can someone translate "Hednad I Ulvermånens Tecken" please?
Ah, if you want someone to translate anything in portuguese or maybe even in spanish you should ask me heheheh I'm brazilian =)

Can someone tell me what the swedish(or old-swedish) word "Bardas" means?

Oh, and if anyone is looking for someone to translate something from english to bad english, just ask me and I'll do it for free! :D

Vintersägen said:
Can someone tell me what the swedish(or old-swedish) word "Bardas" means?

Oh, and if anyone is looking for someone to translate something from english to bad english, just ask me and I'll do it for free! :D

i've made a quick literal translation, keep in mind that the beauty and poetry of the swedish text is not present in my somewhat crude translation, anyway:

when the wolfmoon stands anew
a veil of mist is braided around the priests of Odin
laconic song of rite unworshiped (?) reaches
from the fringes of the forest by encouraged guests*

towards the spelendour of stars mead-filled stoups are raised
the master of ceremony calls upon the sign of the wolf
the eye of the father beholds a pagan baptize
the feast is held at the springfresh brook

* - i'm bit uncertain about the translation of this sentance, any suggestions?

feel free to criticize :)
cheers

I've been wandering this... - just three questions.

Does "tumba" make any sense in svenska? Cause in spanish it would be "grave", but I'm sure it has nothing to do with that. It's the name of a city(or just town?) in Sweden, a friend of mine lives there! :) and he hasn't an answer, he doesn't know.

Do you give a special name for the morning star (Venus), or is it just Morgonstjärn? and the evening star would be skymningstjärn? In spanish it's called Lucero.

Does the months have different names in old svenska? They just look like copied+pasted from latin...