Explanation for Metal Head87's signature...

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Since it's been there so long, I figured I'd explain why it's wrong.

In Italian, the word PEOPLE is not a collective, like in English. For example, "the police ARE looking for me" in Italian would be "the police IS looking for me". You cannot literally translate from Italian to English and vice-versa.

Now, the part where she says, "I have to admit my belly is bigger THAT a month ago" is another example of bad translation. Instead of "THAN a month ago", in Italian it's "che un mese fa", which is "that a month ago". It doesn't make sense in English, but it's perfect in Italian.

Yes, we all know it's fun to make fun of other countries' translations of English, especially German translations, but we must ask ourselves: "How fluent are we in other languages?" Can anyone else speak a fluent second language? By fluent, I don't mean "where is the bathroom", "I'll have the chili con carne", "yo quiero taco bell", or "kiss my ass".

Before you answer with "English is the international language", remember that only counts in business and air traffic control. Don't hide behind your own ignorance because you were fortunate enough to be born in an all-English speaking country. If English speaking people had the same drive to learn a new language like the rest of the world has for learning English, maybe we wouldn't be looked upon as culturally ignorant.

Just my two cents, coming from an American. Been thinking about this for a while and decided to post it.

Relax. I know that each language translate English in a different way. Most of my friends are foreigners, and my dad's English was terrible.
You're taking the quote waaaaaay too seriously. I posted it because it made me laugh.
The belly part wasn't posted because of the grammatical error. I just thought it was funny that a woman would say that. In fact, I didn't even notice it said "that a month ago" until you brought it up.

By the way, you don't need to put a space between "Metal" and "Head". The only reason I put a space in between was because "Metalhead87" was already taken.

It's a pretty funny quote. Besides, DW, shut yer trap. I used to speak Gaidhlig rather fluently, that is until I realised how utterly useless it was and ceased to take any further tuition in that subject.

So, up ye. :p

I am actually glad Dead Winter posted that publicly rather than PMed MetalHead because it makes a really valid point IMHO. I think everyone should be fluent in at least 2 language and travel around the world to become aware of different cultures.

The interesting thing with languages that I noticed is that once you become really fluent in another language other than your native language you start to sometime think in that language. This valid for me at least. There is some shit in my head that I think in English. I notice it that every few months I start thinking more in English rather than in my native Romanian. It is true that other than speaking with my mom at home and posting on some message boards I lost my skill in Romanian, but it magically comes back after 3 days spent in Romania. Same thing applies when I come back to America, it takes me 3 days or so to "make the switch" between languages. I think that once someone is able to think in a language in his head, then speaking the language becomes much easier and almost a reflex. my 2 cents.

I'll learn languages relevant to me at my pace. Sadly, thats limited to German and a few dead ones. The only use I'd have for a 2nd language is to comment on things in a way I want only a select group to understand.

I think that knowing a second language, whether dead or not, can help you in other aspects. It has at least opened up your mind to other cultures and made you think outside the box.

Not really, I know rudimentary German and some fairly complex Japanese and I'm still retarded.

Stroke order on kanji fucking sucks though, something I have learned.

tu parle francais y anglais ausi. s'il vous plait STFU in this matter:p
and i totally agree with what dead winter posted about knowing another language makes you think outside the box

and I also agree that learning another language makes you think in that language.

edit: oh and btw that post with the over-negativity is a joke I made at my own expense, as wolftribe and m00se can confirm.

You have a point Dead Winter. It often strikes me that so many English-speaking folks laugh at other people's accents or errors when speaking English. It's pretty pathetic, since many English speakers are monoglots. Mind, it's not just the English who are irritating in that regard. I'm an Inspector for the Airport Police, and I've lost count of the times that Spanish or Italian folks come up to me to ask whatever, and when I ask them, "Nederlands? Français? English?... Deutsch?" they only reply with "Italiano" or "Español", after which they start ranting about how ashamed I should be that I don't know their language. I tell you, it takes a lot of effort for me not to just grab them by the collar and let them spend the night in one of our fine cells. Simply the fact they're in my country and simply walk up to me ranting in their own language is rude as Hell, but then calling me names because I can't speak their dago language to boot? Damn.

No offense to any dagoes in present company ;)

Yes, we all know it's fun to make fun of other countries' translations of English, especially German translations, but we must ask ourselves: "How fluent are we in other languages?" Can anyone else speak a fluent second language? By fluent, I don't mean "where is the bathroom", "I'll have the chili con carne", "yo quiero taco bell", or "kiss my ass".

Before you answer with "English is the international language", remember that only counts in business and air traffic control. Don't hide behind your own ignorance because you were fortunate enough to be born in an all-English speaking country. If English speaking people had the same drive to learn a new language like the rest of the world has for learning English, maybe we wouldn't be looked upon as culturally ignorant.

Just my two cents, coming from an American. Been thinking about this for a while and decided to post it.

AMEN!!! BRAVO!
I know 3 :p

But besides the point... I agree 100%.
I love languages, and I think there is nothing more satisfying than to go to a place or meet people from all over the world and be able to communicate with them.
Just a recent example: at the Maryland Death Fest I could talk to almost any band that came from over seas....
It's amazing how knowing another language even ONE can open your mind.

Speaking of... You know what really bugs me? English speaking tourists who go to a country and expect *everybody* to know English. I just want to punch those poeple.