Travel thread (discuss all things travel related)

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Geographically speaking there is a pretty varied nevermore fanbase that posts here. so lets here it....

where have you been? what are your favorite places/sites? what cultures do you dislike/like? foreign food or beer...tell us! beautiful women, metal countries/cities? what languages do you speak? Where do you want to visit?

GO!

me:

been to:

-Italy (Rome, Florence 3 times, North Italy a shitload...thinking of living there with my girlfriend.)
-England-London two times (studied abroad for 4 months and worked abroad a year late for 8 months, respectively)
and Nottingham.
-Greece - Athens and Hydra (island)
-Spain - (all over the country)
-France - Paris
-Switzerland - Lugano
-Germany - 3 times - Dortmund/Bochum 2 times and Munich
-Austria - Vienna
-Czech Republic - Prague
-Ireland - All over

I love London...it is my favorite city and a very metal city. Italian women are the most beautiful, italian food is the best and the italian language is the most beautiful as well (in my opinion). I speak moderate italian and am in the process of becoming fluent. beer - well, Staroprommen (I hope i spelled that right) is my favorite - it is a czech beer. I havent found any cultures I dislike...only people, like some French people (but there are rude people in every country). I want to visit the far east and Australia very badly.

I haven't been to too many places outside the US, unfortunately. I will as soon as I get out of high school (which couldn't be sooner... ughh).

Anyway, after a (very) quick stop in Germany, I went to Italy a for about two weeks. It was a wonderful experience. I loved it. And yes you're right about Italian food! I ate like a king when I was there. Tuscany was amazing. Definitely my favorite area of Italy I've seen.

In 2008, I will be traveling abroad again with the elite singing group in my school (that's what the last trip was for). I'm hoping it will be somewhere in Scandanavia but I think it's going to be somewhere in the British Isles or Greece.

I hope to do a TON of traveling when I get out of high school.

Been around the block, but I haven't been ANYWHERE (not including LA) in almost two years.

Next summer will be Brooks's European vacation! Maybe I'll see some of you there!

I cant wait to read Karen's autobiography ;)

Yeah, I've been all over.

Germany, Denmark, Holland, France, Spain, Belgium, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Russia, America, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, The Gambia, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Romania, Czech Republic, Estonia, Liechtenstein, Ukraine. I think thats it.

Due to my obvious love for Antiquity, Greece and Italy are my obvious favourite countries. I love the culture, the food and the beer - Mainly Greek - MYTHOS! I'm not too crazy for Italian beers.

Favourite beers all come from Belgium. The most available is Stella (<3) but when visiting Brussells you get assaulted my sooooooooo many tasty beers one forgets all their names. :)

I have some more places in Greece and Italy I wish to visit (areas of the social war, peloponnesian war and before). I'd like to go back to the U.S and I want to visit Iceland.

3 years ago I went to Gibraltar and all over Spain- Madrid, Seville, Toledo, the Alhambra, Granada, Costa del Sol, and a whole shit load of other places I can't remember... a little too much drinking. Nevertheless, it was quite possibly the best 2 weeks of my life.

One of my favorite pictures from Gibraltar:
monkey.jpg

That damn monkey wouldn't leave me alone:mad:

My family is pretty much obsessed with our heritage, so we all really want to visit Ireland and Sweden..

This summer after graduation my best friend and I are going to Paris and London for a few weeks, any suggestions on things to do or places we can't miss while we're there?

Museums! London has some of the worlds BEST Muesums. <3. The Natural History and The Imperial War Museum being my favourite.

All of Londons most famous attractions are fairly central, so they're easy to see. I'd hang around Covent Garden if you can though, that's an awesome experience. Alot of metal bars that way too.

Been:

All over the US and Canada, and to Mexico once (and never again), Australia and France. Next up is Romania.

Everything is just so far from Texas, you have to drive forever just to get out of the state.

I really like this thread. good idea!

The following states in red are the ones I have been to thus far.
states.jpg

Besides those locations, I have been to Mexico (Tijuana, but it's still Mexico...), the Bahama Islands, and Toronto, Canada. I would love to go overseas in the near future.

My favorite places so far have been Toronto and Seattle.

Oh yeah, I forgot the states:

-Plano, Texas
-Portsmouth and Hanover, New Hampshire
-West Virginia. I lived in a fucking shack with my sister for a week :erk:
-I play hockey in Rockville, Maryland, and countless tournaments in Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut

Well damn...
If I had to list all the places, it would probably look like the back of about 10 metal band tour shirts :lol: , and some of the names would just be too odd. I'll just say, that when I get my passports, I send them back to have more pages sewn in. But, I like Asia and Hawaii best :loco:

I've been all over the US. My favorite places have been on the east coast and in Seattle. I've been to Alaska in the summertime and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Outside of the US:
Paris: Loved the food, didn't really care about the people. Museums and historical value was great

London: I loved London. Everything about it. The food, the pubs...it was great.

Ireland: Went to Dublin, Cork and Killarney. It was the greatest trip I had ever taken. I plan to go back and explore some more the first chance I get. loved loved loved Ireland.

the next places I'd like to visit are: Iceland, Switzerland and Norway

I have been to every state on the east coast, but unfortunetely no states off the coast. :( I spent an entire month walking through all of Vermont as some of you may remember. I have been to Montreal, Canada. I have been alllll the fuck over Germany, including but not limited to, München, Berlin, Fulda, Frankfurt (many times, beyond count), a bunch of small towns on the Rhein, a whole lot of villages during a hiking trip in Nordrhein-Westfallen, etc. I have been to Switzerland, namely Basel and Zürich. I have been to Iceland twice but did not have a chance to do anything exciting there.

As far as Germany goes, in my opinion, both girls and beer are top notch. Places I shall be hopefully visiting soon: Netherlands, Slovenia, Czech, Poland, France, NORWAY, SWEDEN, DENMARK, and last but not least, Moscow.

Ive been to Canada as well. Lets see i do travel some because bands i like dont play where i live (Roanoke Virginia) but i have been to North Carolina,South Carloina,West Virginia, Tennsee ;ast year was my first time in Pennslyvania(sp?) I almost moved there due to my job but i ended up not having too. oh yeah i been to Ohio recnently as well. I know it isint much but like i said i have been to Canada but everyones been there.

Bradley

-Moldova
-Russia (i lived in Moscow but traveled a lot in Russia; never been in the asian part though)
-Romania (drove through it a few times and loved it)
-Ukraine
-Slovenia
-UK (lived in Cambridge and London)
-China (a few towns and a cruise on the Blue river)
-France (lived in Paris for a little while when I was a kid)
-Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, Trieste, Bologna...)
-Estonia (Tallinn)
-Austria (Vienna and Salzburg)
-Germany (Berlin and Munich)
-Croatia
-Hungary (drove through it)

If everything goes well I'll visit Scotland in the summer and I'm going to visit Russia again...I want to go to Africa

Are you fluent in Russian? Is it really very dangerous for someone like me to travel to Moscow alone? Is the Visa hard/expensive to acquire to go to Russia? k thx :)

perniciosa said:
-Moldova
-Russia (i lived in Moscow but traveled a lot in Russia; never been in the asian part though)
-Romania (drove through it a few times and loved it)
-Ukraine
-Slovenia
-UK (lived in Cambridge and London)
-China (a few towns and a cruise on the Blue river)
-France (lived in Paris for a little while when I was a kid)
-Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, Trieste, Bologna...)
-Estonia (Tallinn)
-Austria (Vienna and Salzburg)
-Germany (Berlin and Munich)
-Croatia
-Hungary (drove through it)

If everything goes well I'll visit Scotland in the summer and I'm going to visit Russia again...I want to go to Africa

I've been EVERYWHERE......... some places more than once...
some places I lived for a while...

Gosh, to name ALL the countries would be hard so:

-Spain,
-Portuga
-Turkey
-Cyprussl
-England
-Scotland
-Ireland
-Romania
-Belgium
-The Netherlands
-France
-Germany
-Morroco
-Italy
-Austria
-Sweden
-Norway
-Finland
-Denmark
-Czec Republic
- Greece
-Iceland
-Israel
-Egypt
-Jordan
-Lebanon
-Tailand
-USA (been to 46 states out of 50)
-Canada
-Mexico
-Jamaica

My plan for next June:
To go see Peru and Bolivia and Chile.
I want to see machu Picchu with my own eyes and travel in that area.

Plan for 2008, when I graduate:
Japan and hopefully china.

Those two areas really attract my interest, I must visit Japan, since I've been reading about their history/ culture for many years now. (China also)

Places I hated?
I don't hate any place... every place has its charm. There are pros and cons in any country. Something one will like something that may not look so apealing to the other..
I did hate Alabama and Mississipi... states where people are so closed minded and rude....

Travel the world people. Along with reading, thats the best gift you can give yourself.