n00b outboard question

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
So... i've found this company that makes affordable 1176/la2a/neve/whatever clones and i'll be taking the plunge in the next month or so..

My problem is I don't have any dedicated AD/DA unit, just my saffire pro 40 interface...

a.) I'll be using the saffire line out into the 1176 clone, and than back in through the saffire preamp with 0 gain, is that sensible ?

b.) ... brace yourself 'couse this will be a really n00b one, if I accidentally hit phantom power on the input that's routing back from the 1176 clone, will I fry it ?

brace yourself 'couse this will be a really n00b one, if I accidentally hit phantom power on the input that's routing back from the 1176 clone, will I fry it ?

Nah man, not at all. Your 1176 wouldn't even pick it up in the first place. The same goes for mics that don't need phantom power. Alongside that the signal is gonna be exactly the same, whether it's turned on or off. So yeh, chill :cool:

a.) I'll be using the saffire line out into the 1176 clone, and than back in through the saffire preamp with 0 gain, is that sensible ?

Yup, and make sure you're not exceeding -10db (edit: while going back into the saffire from the 1176). When you have something analog like that the last thing you'd want is 'digitized harmonic content' ;) And going above -10db on these pres do generate some stuff, FME.

So... i've found this company that makes affordable 1176/la2a/neve/whatever clones and i'll be taking the plunge in the next month or so..

Nois, which company is it? :)

Don't mention it. :)
IGS Audio seems pretty cool. Russian military tubes and all. The prices seem a bit reasonable as well. Let's see, I might pick one up myself. Thanks for the info :)