¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com

Credits for this one are:

Tracking: Chris Themelco & Ermin Hamidovic
Reamping & Mixing: Ermin Hamidovic
Mastering: Thomas 'Plec' Johansson

As always, let me know if you have any questions etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the growled vocals were doubled on this album, from memory. Vocal chain is just the standard run of channel saturation, de-ess, eq, cascaded compression, limiting and distortion.

Yep, 6L6s in the guitar tone.

i'm in love with your sublows control... really dig it.!!

I'm listening eye of enemy and orpheus trying to copy the way you handle it... does the kick hits at 50hz??? amaizing sound!!

The music reminds me of sybreed/soilwork. I feel that the overheads are not loud enough at parts, like at the beginning riff. I also agree that it's a little bass heavy but nothing that destroys the mix, still sounds balanced and punchy.

During the tracking, I definitely felt the mix was going to end up in a very different place. But it's tits \m/ Good stuff.

I especially like how bright and present the guitar tones are but also how little they conflict with the vocals. Sounds awesome

One thing I'm finding is the volume jump between the verse and chorus is distracting on my event 20/20's. All of a sudden the mids seem too much. Don't mean to be rude it's only a tiny gripe out of a great mix

A second group of guitars kick in for the chorus, which are a bit more mid heavy than the rhythms. It was the only real way to get intelligibility from them. Regarding the low-end stuff - the kick hits the limiting chain a bit harder than I intended, but it's a relatively small hassle and if the chance were there, it would've been sorted. This way you can give your subwoofers a workout :)

As a random side point: I'm really happy with how the hi-hat came up on this.

Just pre-ordered the album. Not thaaat big fan of the vocals but the mix and the music slays so I had to buy it :D
Glad they're shipping to germany.

I love that massive low-end in your recent mixes.

Sounds cool, but I think the low end was definitely overdone. It just sounds like muddy rumble on my end.

I did make one final adjustment to the mix slightly prior sending it off for mastering where I eased up on various high pass filters. I'm curious whether this led to what some of you are perceiving. If anyone is game, I'm happy to float the final two versions of the mix, and you can have at mastering it yourselves. Maybe we can narrow it down and all learn a little something.

i dont think the low-end is overdone... mayyybe a little bit less on the bass guitar at 70hz... i dunno.

i would like to know which snare samples you used and how you processed em, if u dont mind :)

great work!

I did make one final adjustment to the mix slightly prior sending it off for mastering where I eased up on various high pass filters. I'm curious whether this led to what some of you are perceiving. If anyone is game, I'm happy to float the final two versions of the mix, and you can have at mastering it yourselves. Maybe we can narrow it down and all learn a little something.

I'd be interested in that.

The mixes are up: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Forum/Cohesion Mixes.rar

About the snare, it's roughly a 70/30 blend in favor of the raw sound. The drummer had an awesome Ddrum snare, and played lots of flourishes on it so I wanted to maintain as much of that feel as possible. The samples were just a common cocktail of one-shots and Slates to add attack and depth without EQing the raw mic into dirt.

Hearing again the song on headphones, the transition to the chorus is quite noticiable in terms of volume, sounds a bit messy. Seems that go from 2 guitars to 8 in the chorus, playing at the same time.