Name Bands That Have Completely Changed Their Sound

Slayer is perfect example of not mordernizing or changing sound well, the band did not even attempt to expand and just sound like lazy musicians. Slayer is not even innovative or even all that modern compared to what is going on and the only reason they get away with it is because of their impact in the 80's. As musicians slayer are not even close to touching their influences(iron maiden,judas priest).

Extol changed their sound multiple times.
Kekal did not drastically change from cd to cd, but their newest material is very different from their first stuff.
Ulver
Amorphis
Katatonia
Drottnar (started off playing folk black metal, now they play tech death)

Yeah, but I like Nightside the best, I wish they woulda made another Nightside/Anthems type album, who knows, maybe they will since they've reunited.:)

Honestly, I don't, because I believe it is impossible for them to outdo what those two albums offered. I'd like to see a continuation of their Prometheus style, that album needed a little tweaking.

Honestly, I don't, because I believe it is impossible for them to outdo what those two albums offered. I'd like to see a continuation of their Prometheus style, that album needed a little tweaking.
I don't see why Emperor can't, take Celtic Frost for example. they came out with a very good album coming off a long layoff that appealed to lovers of thier first albums. I don't want another Prometheus, it was good, but the earlier works were better.

Yeah, but I don't think they've been through bad changes. It's just that their first albums sound somehow like Metallica, as they were saying that that band was kind of an idol for them. And later they've just found their own style and started to sound absolutely different. I like their latest stuff much more than that what they've started with.

And Theatre Of Tragedy is just a piece of crap, imo.

I agree 100 %. I worship catch 33. I was only trying to think of bands who changed for the better or at least not worse, hence my tiny list. Meshuggah, Death, King Crimson.

Emperor went through a rather dramatic change I'd say. Started out as minimalistic symphonic black metal and went to blackened thrash and finally straight out prog death metal.