big changes that bands made THAT YOU LIKE!

My singer loves Load-era Metallica way more than any of the other stuff.
Clutch, well, they weren't that good at the start!
Opeth's middle period was amazing.

I don't even mind whatever synth/goth rock Depeche Mode worship stuff they're doing nowadays that much.
In fact they're doing good gothic metal again since their last 2 albums. In Requiem is fucking awesome.

Besides PL, also Anathema and Katatonia are bands that changed and I still like. However I think that Katatonia has lost a lot in their last albums, being their best Discouraged Ones (and maybe Viva Emptiness). Last 2 ones sound too "progressive" to me. I love all Anathema. Still love these bands' old stuff though.
And I also agree with Enslaved, like them nowadays more than their trve black metal era.

Although I am not passionate about it and I don't think it is better than their old stuff (classics), I think newer Darkthrone is quite cool and enjoyable.

Katatonia going from the black metal sound to the sound on albums like The Great Cold Distance and Viva Emptiness. I think they did a phenomenal job transitioning to that style

What the hell is wrong with you people ?

Nothing Katatonia ever did compares to the masterpiece that "Dance of December Souls" is.

Though this statement is completely subjective, I will agree with you on it. Though that said, I took this thread as you enjoyed the new route x band has taken, not necessarily enjoying it more so than their previous material.

What the hell is wrong with you people ?

Nothing Katatonia ever did compares to the masterpiece that "Dance of December Souls" is.

HEY GUISE, YOUR SUBJECTIVE COMMENT IS WRONG BECAUSE I DON'T AGREE WITH IT!!!1one

FYI, I'm never wrong

Though this statement is completely subjective, I will agree with you on it. Though that said, I took this thread as you enjoyed the new route x band has taken, not necessarily enjoying it more so than their previous material.

Except I enjoy the new stuff more than the old

Also, I will second Amorphis. The last few albums of theirs have been incredible.

Another one I would pick is Corrosion of Conformity. I think Animosity is alright, but everything from Deliverance to ITAOG is almost perfect for the style they do.

Ulver. I've loved every album they've released. the transition from Nattens Madrigal to Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell was one of the bigger 180 degree turns in the metal world. I'm sure they lost quite a few followers, but each album has been noticeably different from the others, and I've looked forward to each release to see how they reinvent themselves

Ulver. I've loved every album they've released. the transition from Nattens Madrigal to Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell was one of the bigger 180 degree turns in the metal world. I'm sure they lost quite a few followers, but each album has been noticeably different from the others, and I've looked forward to each release to see how they reinvent themselves

=) Wolves evolve. And generally devour the competition (unless you're talking about the basketball team.)

If the entire album was on par with the four eight minute songs, I'd agree, but it's a little too inconsistent to defeat Mental Vortex (which began the change into the wall-of-sound progressive weirdness).

To me Grin is the evolution of what they had delved into with Mental Vortex. It's a more mature, well produced, well thought out, and in my opinion more consistent album. I'm not sure what you mean with regard to the shorter tracks on the album. Songs like The Lethargic Age and Internal Conflicts are mindblowingly concise.

The thing that lets Mental Vortex down for me is the Beatles cover. As much as I love that song, and as much as I think they did a good job with it, it just doesn't fit within the context of the album. It's like they stuck it on the end as an afterthought, and it's a shame because it doesn't need to be there at all. They should have left it as a b-side.

I like their new direction on Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision but dislike the smaller tweaks they made after that.