Bands that move from metal ?

Well, I listen to later Empyrium, and some later Katatonia, but I think that's just about it. Well, probably not, but all I remember at the moment.

Empyrium did a fantastic thing in going neo-folk. Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays is amazing and easily their best work. It is a shame it is so short though.

I think trends and peoples interests in music causes a band to change. A groups of serious musicians can't risk preventing their career from going further by not be willing to compromise after a certain point. It's either you be open minded or you end your profession early and play in your bed room That's how I would see it. If you want to put out cds and play shows for the rest of your life it would be wise to open yourself up to surroundings and things you experience from being in different spots countries and meeting people. This alone probably affects musicians.

The only bands that do not have to compromise are the bands that are the biggest in the style they play.

For example if you look at early 90's death metal deicide,morbid angel,cannibal corpse would not have to change but say if amorphis still played death metal they would have broken up in 93,94

I hardly consider metal to be the be-all end-all of music, although it is my prefered genre, so I often have no problem with a band progressing outside of its confines as long as the work is still quality. I've seen Ulver mentioned several times, and they were certainly the first band to come to my mind. As much as I love their black metal stuff, I like albums like Perdition City and Blood Inside just as much, and I think Ulver may very well be the single most innovative band in music today.

I don't know how many of you remember Scorn, the Napalm Death side project, but they were undeniably metal on their debut, sounding sort of like a less plodding Godflesh, yet turned into something different altogether on Evanesence. That album was completely electronic, and completely fucking brilliant at that.

A case could be made for Ildjarn, too, who occasionally mixed up ambient and black metal but eventually ended up going completely electronic.

But besides those three and the others like Anathema and Paradise Lost that y'all've already mentioned, I'm drawing a fucking blank.

Reactions: Killbot
I hardly consider metal to be the be-all end-all of music, although it is my prefered genre, so I often have no problem with a band progressing outside of its confines as long as the work is still quality. I've seen Ulver mentioned several times, and they were certainly the first band to come to my mind. As much as I love their black metal stuff, I like albums like Perdition City and Blood Inside just as much, and I think Ulver may very well be the single most innovative band in music today.

I don't know how many of you remember Scorn, the Napalm Death side project, but they were undeniably metal on their debut, sounding sort of like a less plodding Godflesh, yet turned into something different altogether on Evanesence. That album was completely electronic, and completely fucking brilliant at that.

A case could be made for Ildjarn, too, who occasionally mixed up ambient and black metal but eventually ended up going completely electronic.

Quoted for truth :headbang:

Anathema died after darren white left after pentecost. The vocals on some of the newer anathema cds I have heard are AWFUL.

shit... I have heard porcupine tree. I always forget and just think it's steve wilson or something.

metallica
went from thrash to shit
and isn't there already a topic like this in the non metal section?