Bands that make you feel... something

Iced Earth's new album "The Glorious Burden" was kind of a letdown for me. I am not a fan of ripper, and it just didnt feel right. The one thing about the album that I love is the bonus "Gettysburg" disc on the special edition. I love history, especially war history. I live within driving distance of Gettysburg and im a bit of a civil war buff. The 30 min Gettysburg epic on the album gives me chills every time I hear it. Not only do the lyrics explain the battle quite well, but the music does as well.

For me it's Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Nevermore, and of course, the Beatles.

Of course there are many, many more but these are the REALLY important ones :D

Burzum: Sadness, longing for past ages
old Ulver: It just feels like being free and out in the nightly forest- enchanted
Blind Guardian: Just Epic
Nargaroth: Emotionally spoken a mixture of Blind Guardian and Burzum
Amon Amarth and Falkenbach: proud and heathen
Borknagar: Listening to it feels a bit like being an intellectual viking... o_O

Guardian of Darkness said it; making you feel something in one way or another (be it the feeling of mentally being ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves in a cold midwinter fullmoon night (Ulver - Nattens Madrigal), banging your head and drumming your knees until they both bleed while yelling along in a thrash metal rage (Exodus - Bonded by Blood), being eaten alive by evil mummies rising from their damned tombs to consume the living (Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines), or fucking possessed by the freezing moon(the TRUE Mayhem!)), this is what music is about. That's why skin-deep bubblegum pop and such doesn't attract me at all. I mainly listen to black metal and then thrash since these two genres stir up the most/touch the deepest in me.

currently, Death - Flesh and the power it holds really amazes me. the intro is so strange yet beautiful and when the riffing starts I'm just like "yeah!!"

Testament - First Strike is Deadly - End solo, very emotional after this insane trash rush.
Opeth - Pretty much everything, Harvest or Demon of the Fall's ending are among the songs that I feel the most in my veins.
Symphony X - Of Sins and Shadows
Helloween - How Many Tears - The bridge is awesome, a lot of hope in this song.
Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Gives me a nice "disaster comming" feeling
Pantera - Floods - All I see when I listen to this song is world's demise, flood over the entire earth. The solo is the best part.

Many more as well...

Killswitch, unearth, converge, as i lay dying, poison the well, bleeding through. These bands make me want to make my last stand in which I can not win. Fight off 50 men and just do whatever I can to end them and this world. oomplete anarchy,chaos and violence.

A certain past era of opeth, as well as most dark tranquillity hits my sensitivity.

Summoning is a good escape

AtThe Gates: see all of thee above.

Killswitch, unearth, converge, as i lay dying, poison the well, bleeding through. These bands make me want to make my last stand in which I can not win. Fight off 50 men and just do whatever I can to end them and this world. oomplete anarchy,chaos and violence.

:lol:
Take a nap emo kid, you'll feel better.

Nevertheless, just about every musical act I admire evokes a certain "something." However, the ones that do so most effectively remind me of my love for music, as I would still so ardently claim that of all forms of art, music is the most expressive.

To name a few overwhelmingly "evocative" bands:
Dream Theater: I know that ever since I've signed on to this board, I've made this opinion abundantly clear, to the point of undue irritation for some, but I feel compellingly obliged to do so again. Only one other band has the ability to captivate me so thoroughly, that band to be mentioned further on, and their breathtakingly eclectic compositions warrant a variety of emotions within me. Anybody who dismisses them as meaningless self-indulgence is terribly mislead, and may need to re-evaluate their listen by looking past the jaw-dropping musical sections to uncover some affluent depth. I could write an essay about this band, but I imagine that this isn't exactly the appropriate place...anyway, for the sake of paraphrasing, I suppose I can say that this band..."enlightens" me, if you will.

Death: I doubt this requires an explanation, since the feeling seems almost universal among the metal community, but I'll offer one anyway. Death elicits my passionately cynical side, which happens to account for about 90% of my personality.

Opeth: Amazing, their music composes such vivid somber images...

Johann-Sebastian Bach: I realize it isn't metal, but I feel obligated to mention him seeing as I prefer his music over the works of fellow Baroque-era composers including Vivaldi, as well as any other classical musician, and classical, being my single favorite genre of music aside from metal and jazz, deserves recognition. To avoid risking understatement, Bach is the paragon of musical excellence, and Beethoven and Mozart sucked his cock daily. Lay down your innocuous arguments, pseudo-intellectuals, you know who you are. I am fully aware that they all did not inhabit the same time period, thus rendering the event of Mozart performing fellatio on Bach impossible. I know it occurred, just trust me.

Rush: My favorite band of all time. Their songs possess such personal relevance to me, it's inexplicable. Actually, it isn't all that difficult to explain, I'm just slothful.

I could continue forever, and I would if it weren't so unbelievably pointless.

Very similar feelings for Dream Theatre as I have.... So I won't bother re-tying it out... I am going to see them on their current tour in SF at the Warfield. I'ven ever seen them live but I imagine my opinion of them will only increase

Accept !! Despite some goofy lyrics, that band makes me want to go beat up the neighbors (depending on the song) or can give me some eerie vibes like "Princess of the Dawn." That is definitely my favorite oldschool band.

Vanden Plas... melodic prog metal, but they can get aggressive when they feel like it. I get completely lost in their music. They are my favorite band and they are because of the emotions they can project in their music.

Bryant

DiscipleOfPlato said:
:lol:
Take a nap emo kid, you'll feel better.
"Emo kid?" Hahahahah...you have no idea.
Don't worry I will be fast asleep after listening to the boring wankcore you listed; while reading your equally boring decriptions of it.
Maybe I will argue classical music with you when I wake up.
Mozart is a pussy. Bach is great. But bach is baroque is formulaic. 20th century russian is much more dense.

Certain songs by these bands make me feel the depressive atmosphere and sorrow, which actually helps me when I'm feeling down:

Abyssic Hate
Bethlehem
Mourning Beloveth
Sentenced
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Nevermore
Life Of Agony
Dark Tranquillity

"Emo kid?" Hahahahah...you have no idea.
Don't worry I will be fast asleep after listening to the boring wankcore you listed; while reading your equally boring decriptions of it.

Heh heh. Just to clarify, I was merely joking. I couldn't resist the powerful temptation to mock an emo kid. You understand. :)

But seriously, don't take any offense to my posts.

Mozart is a pussy. Bach is great. But bach is baroque is formulaic. 20th century russian is much more dense.

I suppose Bach could be considered somewhat conventional within the context of classical music as a whole, though certainly not within the Baroque period, where Bach exponentially surpassed Vivaldi in terms of originality, at least in this man's humble opinion. However, it feels a bit silly to place classical and the mundane in the same category, seems almost contradictory.
I must confess though, about the only shred of Russian classical I've experienced thus far ends with Tchaikovsky. Care to express a recommendation?