Do you feel that metal is superior?

I think it's not necessarily superior, but different, and of course more technical.
But it also depends of which other musical styles Metal is compared to, I mean, yes, classical can also be highly technical, industrial can also be different and intense, country can also display as much musicianship etc etc .... but in Metal there are also deeper lyrical contents, artworks and such.
I so exclude pop, that is simply worthless, as for example I read an article about pop stuff and other fast food 'cultures', and it was noticed that 95 % of the songs that pop up this year are talking about sex & relationship (and it's only an example).
/...

I feel superior to most people in my town who have fallen into the trap of listening to chart music and so do not value talent or musicianship in the songs they listen to whilst even though I am a metalhead at heart I will listen to anything as long as there is excellent musicianship in it

MasterOfLightning said:
classical usually lack the lyric element, and (they) can't emote as many different things.

Are you kidding me? Classical music has much more emotion and passion than practically 90% of the metal of today. The most similar genre of metal to classical music is black metal, in the atmosphere, emotion, and feeling it gives off (when done correctly).

I do not think Metal is superior in general - still i value it higher than pop-music.
There should be no need to explain why ;)
I think there are not very much bands that really use the potential that metal or music in general has...

metal is superior because not only the music is better but also to dance to the rythm its not complicated, you headbang!

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Are you kidding me? Classical music has much more emotion and passion than practically 90% of the metal of today. The most similar genre of metal to classical music is black metal, in the atmosphere, emotion, and feeling it gives off (when done correctly).

I meant that since there are no lyrics, it detracts from the amount of things you can say with a piece of music. Instrumentally, you are correct, but I was really referring to lyrics. Although I don't think classical can ever match the agression found in metal, whereas metal can come pretty close to anything found in classical.

Metal isn't superior at all. Its my favourite genre, yes, but only when its done right, which in a large majority of cases, it isn't. Most metal bands screw up badly and just create something so horrendous that it puts the genre to shame. However, if done correctly it can be mind blowingly good. Still, other genres which have already been mentioned (post-rock, jazz and of course, classical) require similar if not more talent.

Metal as a genre is tempermental at best. Most bands suck, some bands are stunningly good. If you knocked off the shitty back end of metal, then I might go as far to agree that its superior. However, in its current state, its far from it.

I doubt that any genre is filled with wall-to-wall genius. It's not like there aren't mediocre jazz musicians or composers. Composing takes more skill than I could ever imagine, but I'm sure there were plenty of composers way back when that didn't make it because they weren't as good. We only listen to the greatest classical pieces today. I imagine many decades from now, the shitty metal bands will be forgotten, and the outstanding artists will remain known.

True as this is, the ratio of shitty metal bands seems to far outweigh that in other modern genres. For instance, look at the death metal scene, i'd say that about 80% + of these bands are below par.

I'm sure my response was anticipated by many.

Of course metal is not superior. I'm inclined to say that no form of music is superior. I almost want to say classical music is the best as far as development, lyricism(yes), emotion, atmosphere, technicality, composition, diversity, and scope are concerned, but that would discount the primal energy and pure humanity of folk music. Of course, classical music has integrated the folk elemnts in the last century or two(Gershwin, Copland, Bartok, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Grieg).

Classical music is supreme. Jazz, post-rock, progressive, avant-garde, and especially metal(in many cases a form of neoclassical music in itself--more often than not, in fact) are close in all or most of the above stated elements, but classical still wins.

In the grand scheme of things, however, no music is inherently superior, because it is all anoise unless one gets something out of it. So, no music is superior.

I'm leaning toward the latter response, and claiming that my own tastes reveal my respect for "advanced" forms of music. In reality, it is all subjective.

To me, metal at its best beats anything else at its best. Throw away everything else but that, and that's mainly how I come to the conclusion that metal is the best genre of music. I've heard most of what's considered the best of classical, and a lot of the "best" jazz, but the best metal is far and away better. I'm being pretty subjective here, but this thread is entirely based on opinion. I don't think I could ever prove to anyone else that metal is the best.

I do not consider myself an elitist, but I do truly believe that metal is the ultimate form of music. Just look at how diverse it is. You can get something as dark and evil as black metal to something as light and happy as power metal, while staying in the same genre. You can't get that anywhere else.

The guy who's arguing that "classical" music is inferior because it lacks lyrics is what makes this topic worthwhile. He's so stupid, it's actually amusing.

If you're arguing that "classical" music lacks variety of emotions, you should probably listen to a lot more of it.

this topic is gayer than Richard Simmons playing a ukulele while wearing chaps. :yuk:

Demiurge said:
this topic is gayer than Richard Simmons playing a ukulele while wearing chaps. :yuk:

Now there's an image I didn't want in my head.