Elitist music?

The original emo bands were actually quite good. Emo music now refers to mainstream "goth-pop" bands that play music that is accessible while trying to seem edgy, dangerous, and inaccessible. Emo kids are teenagers who, regardless of whatever emotions are inside, act really dramatic about their emotions, wear a lot of black, dye their hair, etc, and try to seem sketchy. In my experience they are universally white middle class kids.
Buncha fucking faggots if you ask me.

I thought you were against elitism...

I strongly dislike emo music, but whenever the issue of emo comes up I can't help but to think "suicide + goth fashion... hmmm... in other words it's like Alice In Chains plus pretty much every extreme metal band. Sounds fucking great." I know it doesn't sound like that, but I could never bring myself to consider their ideology or fashion illegitimate.

frankly, that was a disapproving but hardly elitist overview of the modern use of the word emo. Also note that I was simply saying what the word is used to mean.
Also, metal bands generally do not promote suicide or dress "goth," they dress metal and advocate homicide.

No one has mentioned Classic Rock elitists yet.
I mentioned "classic" music elitists in my post on page one.
Classic Rock elitists are annoying. "All modern music is shit, people should listen to real music like Led Zeppelin!"
The absolute worst musical elitist I've ever met was some kid at a Boy Scout function of all places. I brought my own portable CD player and some CDs with me and left the room for an hour or two to participate in a volleyball tournament and when I came back, I had the worst encounter with some Black Sabbath fanboy. He had completely taken over my boom box and replaced whatever I was listening to with Black Sabbath and physically intervened when I went to remove his disc and carry my own property out of the room with me. In the argument that followed, this pretentious asshole informed me not only that "you kids today don't even know what music is" (I'm older than him by the way), but that being forced to submit to his musical preference was "for my own good." Of course he had no argument to legitimize his opinion, but I'm sure it would have been the appeal to tradition that I discussed on page one, or that I just don't "get it," which seems to be another common argument. Funny how people are often so quick to inform you of your ignorance, but they never really have the ability to explain why they feel that way.

Also, there was another time in high school when my brother and I were really big into Rammstein and we were listening to it at the local recreational facility in the basketball court, when some staff member came in to turn it down (which I can't complain about, because I'm sure he was just doing his job) and yelled "NO RAP!" This of course confused the hell out of my brother and me, because Rammstein is nothing like rap, so we turned it back up, but still kept it low enough not to disturb anyone else. A few minutes later, the same guy burst back into the room and yelled "TURN THIS CRAP OFF!" before turning it off himself and threatening to kick us out if we turned it back on and then he stormed out in a raging fury. To this day, I'm still confused about his motive, because while I understand that he may have had a responsibility to protect himself against potential objections from other patrons of the facility, no one else was around and he certainly couldn't have heard it from where he was stationed, so I'm assuming that he was just enforcing his will on a couple of high school kids to prove to himself that he was a tough guy.

Oh yeah, I also had an art teacher who referred to any type of music that she didn't like as "urban hate music" regardless of what it really was. Even if we put on headphones, she would occasionally still bother us about the music that we were listening to because it "wasn't conducive to art work." She also told one of my friends that her music was too violent and inappropriate because it had "machine gun fire" in it. It was actually a snare drum.

Ooo I did once meet a Michael Jackson elitist who was arguing with some Mötley Crüe fanboy telling him that all they did was bang on their instruments and that he should stop listening to all his music and start listening to Michael Jackson, because it was superior and has music videos with plot lines and stuff.

Ooo I did once meet a Michael Jackson elitist who was arguing with some Mötley Crüe fanboy telling him that all they did was bang on their instruments and that he should stop listening to all his music and start listening to Michael Jackson, because it was superior and has music videos with plot lines and stuff.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read

:lol:@michael jackson

also, the Crue have plot lines in their videos, so thats actually a retarded argument.

This thread just goes to show that elitism as a phenomenon is redundant. Nothing good has ever come from it.
Many of us sometimes pretend to be elitists in jest(myself included) but you know, it's just for fun-- to get attention or merely to be an asshole for a day.

Elitism is healthy. It allows you to separate quality from the bullshit as pretentious as that sounds. :p