Elitist music?

Nov 26, 2005
Italy
I think everyone considers some types of music as "elitist". More than to know what are in your opinion the elitist music genres, I want know what are, according to you, the characteristics that render a genre elitist.

In my opinion Metal (but other genres too) is elitist because it is anti-commercial. Okay, I know there are MANY commercial Metal bands, but the true Metal ON PRINCIPLE is anti-commercial, and this is the characteristic for which I think a band/genre is elitist.

I'd say progressive and classical music are both elitist, considering that they display a level of musicianship that aspires beyond that of more commerical music such as hard rock, blues, or modern pop rock. Furthermore, it takes patience on the listener's part to grow accustomed to and eventually appreciate the music (usually).

Jazz, classical, and a lot of prog rock fans are caught up on their high horse for the simple fact that the music is challenging, technically complex, and "musically superior." High brow.

edit: Einherjar beat me to it.

There's no ONE elitist metal genre. There are band's that the elistst type gravitate towards in about every genre. These bands are usually more raw, brutal & free of hooks than the more popular metal bands. This doesn't apply to everybody though.

I think ANUS is the best place to go to see what I speak of. If a band starts to tighten their sound or production for an album they immediately write the band off & quit reviewing their work. If a band streamlines their sound many of these so called "elitists" will speak of the band as if they were never metal to begin with.

This is the thought from which my "In Death considered Death Metal" thread originated from. I've heard them all:

* "Death is not death metal"
* "Metallica were never a metal band"
* "Slayer is not metal"
* "Testament are the worst Thrash band that ever existed"
* "Therion's early stuff is much better than their shitty "Gothic Kabbalah" album" :) (OK, that's just one that pisses me off)
* "Massacra > Pestilence" (Yeah fucking right)

Taste is subjective, but all those are elitist arguments I've heard at one time or another by people that looked as if they felt they had something to prove. I think there's a line to draw somewhere.

Well, that's my stance on metal genre elitim in a nutshell. I do agree about Jazz being elitist though. I know some folks that have the whole "jazz = high horse" thing going on & it's just sickening to me. I hear guys go as far to compare Symphony X to jazz :ill: to put down SX because their music is not as technically complex or demanding as jazz. It's fucking sick. Definitely #1 elitist genre. I still like a lot of it, but damn do the poeple who are into it take it too far.

* "Therion's early stuff is much better than their shitty "Gothic Kabbalah" album" :) (OK, that's just one that pisses me off)

Personally, I only listen to Therion's later symphonic material. Anything after Theli is what I usually gravitate towards. I own Lepaca Kliffoth and Beyond Sanctorum, but I haven't played either of them in years.

I hate it when people say that Therion "went pussy" or "sold out." They play fucking awesome symphonic metal, and that's all there is to it.

Both those albums own tremendously. Fucking killer double release.

If you dig them, you should definitely check out the following records:

Vovin
Deggial
Secret of the Runes
Gothic Kaballah

Theli and A'arad Zaraq-Lucid Dreaming are cool too, but have a slightly older Therion sound (and the second one is actually mostly a soundtrack that Christofer Johnsson wrote).

Underground metal, and perhaps some dark electronic or instrumental music. Basically, I would think anything that the average dude (ie one dimensional idiot with no interests outside of sports and beer) wouldn't know about and doesn't listen to has an elitist component. Elitist music is unknown to the masses, far removed from the mainstream. Aside from classical music, that is. The average Joe may know the big names, but knows nothing about the music itself.

Both those albums own tremendously. Fucking killer double release.

If you dig them, you should definitely check out the following records:

Vovin
Deggial
Secret of the Runes
Gothic Kaballah

Theli and A'arad Zaraq-Lucid Dreaming are cool too, but have a slightly older Therion sound (and the second one is actually mostly a soundtrack that Christofer Johnsson wrote).

The first two albums are fantastic though

I was going to say power metal/progressive when I first came in here. You have no idea how many times I heard people say how can you like _______ all they do is grunt and play as quick as they can listen to real music with talent.
I think Black Metal is more elitist I've heard people go as far as saying Venom are the true creaters of metal and people who like Darkthrone or Burzum are quick to judge Dimmu Borgir/COF whores

I think it has more to do with the fans than the artists. Most genres of music beyond pop have their own groups of people claiming their superiority and independence from the mainstream, thinking that their music is above all the others because only "enlightened" people listen to it.

Hmm some of what shredhead was saying sounds like shit that bundy aka blaspherion would have stated on his metalpundit blogs and site and i got banned from his shitty site cause i stood up to him and said he was wronger than two boys fucking. Man I remember one time i was in one the metal chatrooms on YM and there was like these 3 dudes that thought French Black Metal was the only real black metal out there. I told them that shit wasn't anything different in what darkthrone was doing in 1990.

I don't think there is such thing as elitist music, per se. It's what the fans make of it that gives it this appearance. Read some of Cythraul's reviews, for instance. He praises Burzum via convoluted, sensationolist and metaphysical prose. And so what? Someone else with weight and authority, can write the same thing about his favorite hip hop album.
This is just like reading certain movie critiques. One movie critic may be able to find some deep meaning in American Beauty, another will see only utter shit
Within every genre of music you will find elitists who favor certain artists whether due to their originality, alleged elegance, an ability to evoke some sort of emotion, etc.

Maybe he was, or maybe he simply likes juggling words.
Scourge of God once said that ANUS also utilize this writing style for purposes of mockery of American literature.