Do you feel that metal is superior?

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Do you feel that metal is superior to other genres of music? Or do you believe that there is no "superior" genre since musical taste is subjective? Or something else. What do you think? Are you an elitist?

I feel that metal is better than all other types of music. So I guess that makes me an elitist.

I think it's better suited to what I like, but that there is no one type of music that's definitively "better" than all the others. Maybe it has better musicianship or something, but not all people value musicianship.

yes, the ammount of talent available in metal bands far surpases that of other genres and are therefor far superior. the only exceptions to that are "classical" and jazz musicians.
~gR~

No. That's close-minded and ignorant. Classical music, jazz, post-rock, and other genres have better/similar amounts of talent, musicianship, etc. than metal. I like metal the most though.

Not any more. Death metal pretty much ruined everything. Perhaps it could be again, some day in the distant future, when we've forgotten the fashion for having vocals that sound like someone reading bad poetry while trying to shit a beach ball, and when metal's audience and songwriters push and heave their way out of the scene's current soul-deadening aesthetic and thematic rut, one that is as vital, uplifting, invigorating and life-affirming as watching grey paint dry in a brown room. I don't mind hearing about the world's evils; I don't always want that message accompanied by ten minutes of wall-to-wall dissonance and minor chords played through guitars distorted to square-waves EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME.

No it isn't. Classical music is much more varied, and there have been far more styles of classical (counting all of the fusions and such) than metal.

lord557 said:
Not any more. Death metal pretty much ruined everything. Perhaps it could be again, some day in the distant future, when we've forgotten the fashion for having vocals that sound like someone reading bad poetry while trying to shit a beach ball, and when metal's audience and songwriters push and heave their way out of the scene's current soul-deadening aesthetic and thematic rut, one that is as vital, uplifting, invigorating and life-affirming as watching grey paint dry in a brown room. I don't mind hearing about the world's evils; I don't always want that message accompanied by ten minutes of wall-to-wall dissonance and minor chords played through guitars distorted to square-waves EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME.

While I agree that a lot of modern death metal is terrible and generic, there are many many bands who have raised the bar(ghoslent, for example).

I think most metal is much better in a technical sense than most other kinds of music of today. That's why I like metal pretty much, the skill it takes to make the music is far greater than what most bands of other genres have today...and the general intensity of the music and feeling a lot of it gives me. So what if it's cheesy, or sometimes has terrible lyrics... it usually sounds a hell of a lot better than a lot of crap thats out today.

There are some bands who are on a higher level than the rest of the metal scene, but the majority of metal bands today are no different (ideologically) than the mainstream they "oppose." So, the former is of course superior, but the latter is not.

Caelum Adustum said:
There are some bands who are on a higher level than the rest of the metal scene, but the majority of metal bands today are no different (ideologically) than the mainstream they "oppose." So, the former is of course superior, but the latter is not.
Aye.

I admire metal for it's technicality and dedication...but do I feel it is superior to other forms of music? In my opinion, I think it's superior over a few genres, but not over everything...that'd be a pretty arrogant thing to say when there's shit like classical music that's sometimes much more complicated (and passionate at the same time) than half of the metal floating out there

Jinn said:
Only when emo is involved. THEN Metal is superior, because Emo is just fucking dog shit.

Emo is the lowest form of music in my mind. I don't think metal is all their is out their, I lsiten to jazz, and I like classical, but To me metal is still the best.

I have a certain respect for jazz and classical, and I'll acknowledge that musical genius and superior musicianship exist in these genres, (and to a lesser extent in others) but I think metal has an edge in the way it can be a lot more emotive. Metal can portray anything either in a musical or lyrical sense. Jazz and classical usually lack the lyric element, and they can't emote as many different things. I can always find metal to match whatever I'm feeling. I can't say that about any other genre. I could go on for a long time about why I like metal, but I think it's better because it's a more versatile and diverse genre.

Metal is the definitely the best "modern" genre. Mostly because (some of) it took all of the good older genres like rock, blues, jazz, and (later) orchestra, fused it together and then evolved the shit out of it. (actually it all happened at the same time more or less) Its by the far the most technically advanced.(Remember I'm talking about modern genres here)

There is definitely bad metal out there... LOTS of it. I agree that both death and hardcore have really started to kill the genre... hell even some of the black metal hasn't helped.

I will never even THINK of arguing that metal is even as close to as good (or has a larger pool of talent) as classical. I mean, seriously, could a 120 piece metal band even exist let alone play cohesive, complex, sophisticated and insanely precise music? Hell no.

But yeah... metal is best.