Do you feel metal has more quality material ?

Is this a thread ?

• No, it's a question

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Is this a thread ?

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
I'm not asking whether metal as a genre is inherently better than any other one genre, and I'm really NOT appealing to the inner-metal elitist inside us

but rather

if you were to simply amass all the good music you've heard in your life, compelling quality music and top notch song-writing - do you feel you'd have a disproportionate amount of metal bands vs anything else ?

I think metal is inherently better than manufactured top 40 radio fodder, since it's art as opposed to a mere product. But I don't think it's inherently better than other art. It simply appeals to me more. Metal provides the greatest breadth of music that I enjoy, compared to any other genre. However, I can say with certainty that the non-metal music that appeals to me is equal to the metal.

^yeah. if i were to simply amass all the utterly shit music i've heard in my life, i'd still have a disproportionate amount of metal bands.

Reactions: CiG
Whenever I look at which genres I listen to, metal is #1 on the list, regardless of whether I'm looking at quality music or the 'fun' stuff. The only exception is that I've collected more local punk music than local metal, but the metal wins for quality so the answer is yes.

Yes, though that's more a result of style and personal preference than anything. I'd take many merely-decent metal albums over, say, a punk rock album that mastered its respective style, simply because punk isn't as riff-based as metal.

Hell yes. Metal is like classical music as we all know. Most of the time it has several different passages within a singular song. If you're listening to a good band there's heaps to sink your teeth into. Metal purposely shies away from the drabness of verse/chorus/verse song structures & offers us long winded journeys into strange and frightening soundscapes. On top of that the instrumentation is top quality (for the most part).

Lyrically metal is more often than not superior to other forms of music too. Often metal lyrics deal with emotions & metaphysical qualities, rather than material shit like tappin' dat bootay.

Reactions: Bruticus
I can assure you I'm not a multi. Did this prozak person used to band on about classical music?

Haha. I've made bongs out of apples, but how is even possible to make one out of an apple mac? Creative to say the least.

Looks tasty. ibongs… the first useful apple product on the market.

I
if you were to simply amass all the good music you've heard in your life, compelling quality music and top notch song-writing - do you feel you'd have a disproportionate amount of metal bands vs anything else ?

No. But it largely depends on who's doing the classing. I've got a shitload of 60's 70's and 80's stuff which is very guitar and drum orientated and often classed as metal, or early metal, or a hundred other terms. I buy more shit from the metal section these days but it's far from the only music I listen too and buy.

No. Most art is garbage, regardless of genre or medium. Metal is not special in that regard.

Yes, though that's more a result of style and personal preference than anything. I'd take many merely-decent metal albums over, say, a punk rock album that mastered its respective style

I would take metal over most music that's mastered its respective style but there are some exceptions. I mostly agree with you. Metal spoke to me more than other genres over the years.

Yeah, I've personally only come across A FEW non-metal bands, like literally I could name them right now there's about 5, that I can genuinely listen to a whole album from and call worthy music, like, without deliberately dropping my standards way down to accommodate for weak non metal stuff.

I realize this is a metal forum and we're all metalheads here, so the bias all that ... but I've always thought that perhaps rather than a supposed 'metal exceptionalism', that metal is at very least the genre that attracted the best musicians and song-writers. I can pick right now about 10 metal bands, easy, that are definitely worth my time as a curious musician. And that's just 10, off the top of my head. I can't pick 10 non metal bands that are "definitely worth my time" off the top of my head. I'd have to really think about it, and probably as mentioned above drop my standards. Like whatever the equivalent during the 80's is of Metallica for non-metal, Metallica is better. Whatever the equivalent for Opeth in non-metal is, Opeth is better. That's how I see it.

The problem with your 'metal attracting the best musician and song writers' bit is that it's entirely subjective and impossibly to prove beyond your own thoughts. For every band, writer, muso, you say is the best there is someone who doesn't listen to metal at all who could argue just as hard as you as to why your choice is wrong. At best you are arguing one persons preferences against your own, it's not a fair fight.