Elitist music?

Great thread, every thing's been said pretty much, but id like to point out one very obvious and therefore usually overlooked form of elitism. Pop music! Have you ever tried telling a (lets say) Beyonce fan that you dont find her latest single the best music ever made? Go and try it out...

No, those kind of people are just retards who don't get what music is all about. They're not elitists. They just listen to music that literally makes them dumber & they don't know any better. You have to actually immerse yourself in music & know of multiple genres to be considered elitist, I think. Beyonce fans don't know what the fuck classical music, electronica, or black metal is.

Today I had a conversation with one of my co-workers, who considers himself an elitist of industrial music. We both criticized each other for being elitists, but I concluded that those into underground music genres often take offense when someone uses a handful of crap mainstream bands to represent an entire genre that often sounds very different from those bands. That, and the fact that both metal and industrial are so diverse that three bands aren't enough to demonstrate such variation.

Therefore I think some elitism is justified, not to assert any superiority, but to create a better image of a certain genre than what is exposed to a mainstream audience.

I wouldn't consider that elitism---just enlightening others. If someone labels you elitist just for trying to educate them, that's pretty much their way of saying "you just schooled me on a musical genre I know little or nothing about, and I'm too immature to say so." It's a nice, dirty word you can throw around whenever you don't want to admit defeat.

Wow, I just googled it because I thought China was the only country with a population over one billion. This is mind blowing.

China - 1,321,851,888 (July, 2007 est.)
India - 1,123,866,154 (July, 2007 est.)

These people really need to keep it in their pants (ironically, I'm currently trying to get into a Chinese girl's pants :lol:).

You weren't aware?

I've heard of a couple Chinese and especially Taiwanese metal bands, but does anyone know about the metal scene in India? There must be one, because when Maiden came through there were fucktons of people there...

EDIT: looked on MA. Looks like there's a bunch.

My playlist is a little bare when it comes to Asian metal. I think this is all that I have.

India:
Narsil

Japan:
Blood Stain Child
Galneryus
Sigh

South Korea:
Dark Mirror ov Tragedy
Oathean

Taiwan:
Anthelion
Chthonic
Seraphim

Nothing from China though. However, I have a lot of Russian and other Eurasian metal bands.

Oh yeah there is certainly elitism in metal. I despise 98.5% of nu-metal. The worst shit I've heard thus far by far and I'm quoting, "Dimmu Borgir is the Linkin Park of black metal."

How can something that isn't a person be "elitist"? For god sakes just listen to your music, and stop worrying about what people think.

I find death metal elitists that hate melodic death metal hilarious. They will say its just Iron Maiden riffs but with growls, yet at the same time the same people say glowing things about Iron Maiden.

Or when they claim that melodic death metal bands are mainstream sellouts. Mainstream? Have you ever made someone who listens to "mainstream" bands listen to anything out of the Gothenburg scene? They wriggle in horror. And when was the last time you saw melodic death metal bands on the radio or TV?

I joined my friend in the radio station for part of his show tonight and he was showing me some tracks from their new album and almost every single one of them began with a satanic string ensemble or church organ and spoken word. I actually do enjoy the symphonic elements of Cradle of Filth, but they're so redundant that it's annoying to listen to more than one song at a time.

Granted there are many cases where a band "sells out" and their sound is different, but in cases where someone bashes a mainstream band simply because they became mainstream seems immature to me. At that point the music is longer music to you, but a means to separate yourself from the status quo. It's not a band's obligation to make you feel unique and special, especially when your loyalty only lies with them as long as they stay underground.