Bands that move from metal ?

Carcassian

Utopian Blaster
Oct 6, 2005
The Fens
Just wondering if you tend to follow the post-metal careers of those bands that originally were definitely metal bands, but meandered away into rock or post-rock or whatever.

I would use reference points such as Anathema in their Coldplay / Pink Floyd fellating latter period, Katatonia in their "dark rock" phase or Paradise Lost in their electro / Depeche Mode latter middle era.

Personally, I don't tend to stick with the band when they wander too far from the metal path, but that's because I tend to listen solely to metal of some form or another; I have considered getting some of the latter Anathema stuff, but I've been put off by the sound of songs that I've heard like "pressure".

Your thoughts / opinions ?

One band that I think have managed the transition from metal to non-metal extremely well are Ulver. I've enjoyed both their metal and non-metal work, which suprised me considering how radical their change in sound is. Kudos to Ulver for such consistently high quality.

I own both Judgement and Alternative 4 (with the slight nod going to A4), though to be honest I prefer both the Silent Enigma and Eternity to either; that being said, I don't mind their earlier stuff, but it's really Silent Enigma through A4 that "floats my boat".

I love old Ulver material, but I am not into their post-metal stuff. I have only heard a few tracks over interweb, but i di not like them at all.

I also "tend to listen solely to metal of some form or another," so I do not listen to the non-metal material of bands that betrayed their roots. I do however, listen to the death metal material of bands that were once black metal, and vice versa.

I also "tend to listen solely to metal of some form or another," so I do not listen to the non-metal material of bands that betrayed their roots. I do however, listen to the death metal material of bands that were once black metal, and vice versa.
Same here, when bands go outside of my favorite subgenres I tend to dislike it though once were black or death and now vice versa is fine.

Does anyone know of any bands that went from playing something else to playing Metal?
Hhmm, interesting question.

I would have thought it's more common for bands to start off as metal and then drift away rather than edge towards metal later on and be sincere about it. I'm still trying to frame an explanation, but I think it's probably true.