Naming projects...

Hah, I skip naming riffs altogether :lol: Before I start writing a song, I create a project with a name I've come up beforehand ;) I've got long lists of song titles and some cool sounding vocal lines, and then I just pick a nice title from one and start writing :cool:

I usually name things by a cool song title or a nice word, like Catharsis, Revelations, Beneath My Skin. (actual songs).

That or stuff like. Mumbaduh!, Mash, Enchanted Forest (\m/), Fettah Abdullah, Farbror Tant, RussinSaft and on and on, unless you know Swedish it won't make much sense. Even if you know Swedish, still no sense. lol.

I name my projects using the guitar patch I used (Pod XT Live) ex..3B or 5A but if I'm really really lazy it's ....rueiytiuokhjkj "or" dshjDBydysJNb. :headbang:

I actually went through some old riffs earlier, and apparently I had a phase of writing out the tabs as the titles - I've got stuff with names like 0-3-0-1-0000, it didn't even occur to me what it meant until I listened to it.

Steve

Oh, with my two other bands (Relativity & Coldway), we have the habit of having new songs called "New fast one", "new slow one", "new midtempo", "new old one", "Old new one", "Fast new" :kickass: We don't have the songs recorded anywhere, just burned into our minds that we play in the trainings. :erk:

I'm with the folder suggestion. I use as much order as possible to locate what I'm looking for in the future as easily as possible.

[folder]: project_name-album#
>[folder]: project_name-album#-track#-description_of_song_or_title
>>[project file]: project_name-track#-description_of_song_or_title-tempo.file

within the track folder I also store gear setup notes and lyrics, so I know where to find them in the future. I also have a folder for each track called "!trash" where I can dump old mixes that I won't be using but don't want to delete. this folder could also be called "!archive" but "trash" has fewer letters to type ;)

Time for a thread-resurrection! :p
Now that we've more or less solved that project-name problem - what about the track names?
I've gotten used to use things like GTR1, GTR2, BD, SN, TOM1, TOM2, OHL, OHR, BASS, ... but when it comes to FX Channels, Groups and various Vox I never know what to name. Basically the problem is that I don't want to waste to many letters in order to keep things clear.
Any suggestions?

I tend not to name riffs and ideas, as most of the stuff I and the rest of the band write comes out of us jamming together at rehearsals.

The below pic of our whiteboard shows some of our working song titles though :p

dscf4230xc7.jpg

Well I tend to write then both record and then tab out the parts. I label them something that sounds right in describing that section like "backwards frog phart", "camel-flage in G flat chromatic minor" or "half-time feel pre-chorus with the washed out flange-o-rama". Song working titles are a whole other dementia.