ND member John Karnes???

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Ok, so I was doing my usual randon searching on METAL ARCHIVES at bands and what not.

I stumbled across the older Chicago thrash band SCEPTER.
I remember seeing their logo all over the place, but personally never heard them or anything.

Anyhow, their listing indicates that member JOHN KARNES was previously in Novembers Doom.

Is this true? I have never heard of this guy as a member nor seen his name in print with any relation to ND.

Could be an erroneous listing, as anyone with a METAL ARCHIVES account can edit any listing.

Just curious.

Steve, the original guitarist had used this band name for a short time in a basement project. This band never did anything, not even a proper demo tape. It spilt up, Steve joined up with me, and after time we decided that name was too good to have don'e nothing with. We adopted it. It was a totally different band, different style, and different members. It amazes me that Metal Archives finds this shit.

Paul, I am a little confused with your reply.

Do you mean that Steve used the name JOHN KARNES as an alias, or that he had a different band called SCEPTER?

My understanding based on Paul's response:

John Karnes played in Scepter.

Steve Nicholson & John Karnes played together in a previous incarnation of Novembers Doom completely unrelated to the current band.

Paul & Steve adopted the ND name for their band, which became the current ND.

Rycher is correct.

While the name was used previously for said Nicholson/Karnes project, it really wasn't even the same band as Laceration/Novembers Doom and truthfully Karnes shouldn't be considered an "ex-member" of ND in my book.

Back in 88 Me, John Karnes, Steve Key and Dan Aldape formed a short lived band. This band lasted maybe 5 months and had 3 name changes in that time. HELL, TECHNO-KILL and then I named it Novembers Doom. We wrote 3 songs but never recorded a demo. Prior to this band John Karnes and Steve Key were members of The Dead Youth which morphed into Usurper. John formed Scepter and last I heard Hellrealm. Dan was in Chicago Metal radio for a while and Steve Key I have not seen in 20 years.

Dan, Me, Steve and John

1STDOOM-Copy.jpg

A few riffs from this band were lifted for use on These Are They Who Linger. From memory!!!

As far as i'm concerned, to be considered an ex-member of Novembers Doom, that person needed to be on a recording, demo or label release. No disrespect to any of the other guys in the early project, but they are NOT a past member of Novembers Doom.

Yeah I wasn't meaning disrespect either, more meaning that the "Novembers Doom" that Steve & John had was technically a completely separate band so it's almost like that ND should be counted separately and have it's own listing, if you catch my meaning.

I'd consider that bands name as "HELL" (who used the Novembers Doom name briefly) Ha. I don't know. It was fun and we drank a lot. Had Old Granddad and Old Style bottles piled as high as my amp behind it. Another fact is I drew a grim reaper for our basement tape cover which I got as my 1st tattoo when I was 19. I also have a tattoo of art from the "Her Tears Drop" demo.