Necessary books to learn Digital Performer ins and outs??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I decided to upgrade my software, (been only using Garage Band here and there), so I went with DP 5.0. Man, right away it's a lot to take in just by looking at the interface. I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to record my PodXT or mic up my cab. Are there any essential books to get??? thanks guys.

-Joe

The manual is great, albeit long. You might not have it if you pirated it ;).

In all honesty, I loaded it up the other day, and still can't get around it. Logic feels waaaay more natural to me, Cubase even more so.

DP is way easier to use for me than any other app. Then again, I've been using it since 1997, but if you're somebody who does a lot of recording, songwriting, and mixing I feel that DP will get you great results faster than any other program. There are some third party manuals, podcasts, etc., but I'd highly reccomend you just buy the app because the manual is excellent.

i'm looking into buying it when i upgrade my current set up (figure a small savings from my first job) and get DP 5 and a MOTU traveler. i have used nearly everything else out there, but DP, but i have sat with it at my college. seems pretty good, but still don't know the ins and outs, it'll take time as a class i'm taking will use DP4.6 or something...

My buddy sent it to me, so I do not have the actual manual. I've been using the help feature though, I've gotten more familiar with enabling tracks and such. I'll probably pick up my own copy though, I'd like to have my own manual at some point. Is the Berklee press book any good?? thanks guys.

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
My buddy sent it to me, so I do not have the actual manual. I've been using the help feature though, I've gotten more familiar with enabling tracks and such. I'll probably pick up my own copy though, I'd like to have my own manual at some point. Is the Berklee press book any good?? thanks guys.

-Joe
the berkely press book just has some advanced stuff that the manual doesnt go into too deeply. i have it and have used it a couple of times. i would try to get a hold of the actual manual at some point. as others have said it is a really good manual.

DSS3 said:
The manual is great, albeit long. You might not have it if you pirated it ;).

In all honesty, I loaded it up the other day, and still can't get around it. Logic feels waaaay more natural to me, Cubase even more so.
this is because you have already spent all the time it takes to learn the over-convoluted, over-complicated ways of doing things in those Apps and are looking for DP to be similar... it's not..it's much easier.

James Murphy said:
this is because you have already spent all the time it takes to learn the over-convoluted, over-complicated ways of doing things in those Apps and are looking for DP to be similar... it's not..it's much easier.

Hey James, I remember you said you had a PDF of shortcuts and tips/tricks about DP a while back...any possibility of sending it over?? thanks,

-Joe