Need help with buying an amp

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Several months ago I bought a new guitar (Schecter C-1 plus), but to this day have been playing on my Crate GX-15R. Yeah it sucks.

So I want to buy a new amp, but I don't have $700+ to spend. Thus no joyous Marshall Stack for me it seems.

Obviously with amps there are the two choices of solid state versus tube (and then modeling and hybrid). I'd prefer tube, but tube amps are also more expensive.

Been looking at the Line 6 Spider III 75W or 120W. Its a modeling amp, and one is paying a lot of money I believe for the various presets for groups/songs (most of which I would never use, though listening to some of them, I could see using them. I think in the end though for electronics I'd tend to buy seperate electronics). The amp is decently priced, and has good variety, as well as pretty decent reviews.

Also looking at Crate. Crate has some various options for tube combo amps (and a stack) at decent prices. I really don't know the difference between the Palomino and their V series. Nor quality in general.

As for what to play. Go from 70s prog rock to hard rock to the various genres of metal (prog/thrash/power/death/doom/etc).

Check out Diamond Amplification, they are awesome. Rusty Cooley from Outworld uses them.

Oh man.

I can't recommend anything, because all my suggestions are quality over bargain. I'm sorry. The first thing I'd say is GO RACK! but that's one helluva endeavour.

I'd think that scouring Ebay for various rack-mounted units and piecing together a good rack of stuff would be fun, but I dunno if you could afford it.

So... let's say you went with a higher-quality combo amp. If you do the amp modeling direction, the new Spider III is getting a lot of attention for being leaps and bounds over the previous.

So DEFINITELY take your guitar to a store, and camp out on as many amps as you can. At first, only play amps in your price range. Once you've found the best option that suits your style and ear, then look at stuff a little more expensive. If you find an amp that really sounds great at that next price range up, then juggle the value. Buy what you can afford now, or wait a few more months to get what sounds better.

And I guarantee you... it's ALWAYS worth waiting just a little bit longer. Cuz odd deals come along. Used gear that kicks ass always comes along. Sales always occur. More cash flow is always unexpected.

Line 6 are great if you want modeling and don't care about tweeking the effects to any major level and not set on the "Tube" sound. We actually have the HD147 Line 6 Heads each year at ProgPower as part of our backline. They sound pretty awesome, but they are pricey heads.

If you want a great tube sound that you can grow into you should save a litttle bit longer and try the B52 AT100 2x12 combo. They list for $1699, but usually sell for $749. If I didn't already have a great set-up, I would get it.

The tone is monsterous and chunky. I work around Marshall, Boogie, Peavey, Fender, Crate and Line 6 all day (Guitar Center), so I have a pretty good feel for value and sound. I also am the Stage Manager for ProgPower USA, so I probably have a solid knowledge of the crunch most in this genre want. :heh:

That model is 100W, so you can add a 4x12 under it, as you grow into bigger gigs, but 2x 12" speakers should get you through any rehearsals and club shows.
Here are the specs...
All-Tube Signal Path
• Tri-Mode Rectifier: Tube - Class A or AB, Solid-State - Class AB
• Overdrive Channel: Gain 1 and Gain 2
• Each with Independent Master Volumes
• 3-Band EQ, Assignable Contour Control
• Clean Channel: Master Volume, 3-Band
• EQ and Bright Switch
• Global Controls: Volume, Low-Res
• (Resonance) and Reverb
• Effects Loop with Level Controls
• (Footswitchable)
• Line Out with Level Control
• Selectable 4 / 8 / 16 Ohms
• External Speaker Jacks
• 4-Position Footswitch: Channel, Gain,
• Reverb and Effects Loop
• Ground Lift Switch
• 3" Casters for easy transport (it's built like a tank and weighs 53 lbs.)

If you need something sooner they make a 60w Tube version with 1x12 speaker
and it sounds great, too. Not as much headroom, but actually tighter sounding.
If you are near a GC, you should try one.

With either, you can then add any pedals that you want or need down the road and be able to better manage the true sounds you want. The distortion is very similar to the Mesa Triple Recs, but 1/3 the price. We sell a ton of them and I never get them in used (apparently people like them enough to keep them).

Email me, if you have any other questions or need a deal on stuff at our myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/guitarcenterpittsburgh
-Chris:headbang:

I'm pretty sure you can get a Marshall combo with plenty of wattage for a good price at Musician's Friend.

I got one of those and it was louder than my other guitarist's 7 foot double cabinet Crate amp.

Used Peavey 5150 or JSX combo... good bang for the buck. The JSX is more versatile and has a 1/2 power switch, as well as a noise gate...
Also - Chris hit it on the head - the B-52 does a good tone as well...
Otherwise, a Peavey Ultra plus.. it is what the 5150 lead channel was based on, but does a nice clean as well.. and Peaveys really hold up. You can get those used on eBay for $400 or less, ans still have enough $$ for a Genz Benz ported 2x12 cab... :kickass:

I spent so much time over the years buying an amp, playing it for a while, selling it for a loss, then buying up the next step that I wasted too much money. My advice would be to play through your Crate just a little longer, keep saving more money, and then buy the amp you really want. You don't have to buy the entire rig at once either!

For my practice rig, I have a Line 6 Pod XT running through a little practice amp. Nice for the money, but strictly for practicing! For the "real" thing, I will ALWAYS highly recommend Mesa Boogie! I finally took my own advice, saved up for a while and have been the proud owner of a Mark IV rack head since 1991! I finally stopped buying and selling amps!! No, I'm not a paid employee, endorsee, ortherwsie affiliated with M/B in any way -- just a very happy customer!

Good luck!

I'm a die hard tube fan, BUT when the bottom dropped out on me a few years back, I sold everything I owned guitar/amp-wise. I lived with no instruments in my house for over a year. As things got "better", I knew I couldn't replace my Marshall & my Boogie, still can't, but I bought a used Line 6 Flextone II Plus, and I'm extremely happy with the versatility it has. I paid $235 for the amp, and $90 for the floorboard controller. Best $325 I ever spent, and it's loud enough for small rehearsals, and easily plugs into a PA or recording deck with its XLR outs. Killer amp for the bucks, if you're not a touring muso and just want something extremely versatile. One day, however, I WILL own a Road King! I hope!

J-Dubya

I'm still using my '86 Crate XB100B with a Celestion 4x12 for most of what I do. I did buy a Vox AD100VT 2x12 combo, which is a hybrid modeler, for my practice amp. I am really impressed with that amp and have gotten some good sounds from it. Very wersatile. I chose it over a line 6 because I think it has a better sound for the money. It was fairly inexpensive, too. Mesa Boogie is great, but damn they're expensive. Happy hunting!

You can definitely get something decent to keep you playing and let you hear yourself a little better without spending an arm and a leg.

If you're working on a budget, I'd reccommend sticking with a combo amp. You'll get more for your money and at the same time, figure out what sound you like. So you can then save up and get your 'dream rig'.

Until then, Marshall has a valve/solid state hybrid with the AVT series. You can get a 100w amp for less than $700. Or you can look at their MG series and get a 100w amp for $500. Some of them come with some effects. But really, I think you get a better sound if you buy your own fx. I'm not a big fan of built in effects on amps. If you plan to play with a band at all, try to get something with at least 100watts. Otherwise, you'll get lost in the mix.

As far as built-in effects go...Line 6 isn't too bad. You can get some great rock sounds out of their amps. And you're seeing a lot more of them out there. So they work too.

Line 6 Pod XT rocks. However, you can't do shit with it unless you have something to plug into (headphones, amp, etc). The unit alone is $300, so I'd suggest figure out your amp first, then go 'play'.

Fender also has some great combo's under $700 too. Just go out there and look. Play a few of them and figure out what sound you like. And when you find one you do like, shop around for price. Honestly, often times you can find a better deal online. You usually don't have to pay for tax or shipping.

Good luck!

So I plugged into a Marshall solid state amp (model escapes me). It sounded good. Carried the heavy tones really well. Didn't mess with it enough for lead guitar sound, as well to be honest right now I have no clue how to play lead metal guitar (still a noob). Being I've only seriously been playing 4 months or so, been working through blues stuff and some rush with teacher, so played some of that and it sounded good.

Then I plugged into a Peavey ValveKing (believe it was this one -- http://www.peavey.com/products/brow...40/cat/308/begin/1/ValveKing%AE+112+Combo.cfm) which is a combo tube amp. It sounded pretty damn good. Doesn't have all of the warmth that the marshall tube has, but I was enjoying it.

I think then it was a Crate Palomino. Crate sounds decent, but tinny. Forced I guess. Even with the gain all the way up it didn't have much, not until I increased the gain volume too, and then it has a lot but not very clean if you know what I mean.

Then I played on the Line 6 Spider III 150. I'm unsure. I really do feel like a lot of the money is going towards the effects. What I came away with was 'yeah this amp is fun, I can make my guitar sound like some neat songs, but damn I hate having to flip through bands I loathe. Other than that it sounds pretty good, but really has no character of its own.' Its still something I'm considering as it would probably be a great amp to learn on, being that I wouldn't have to go out and get various effects, just to jam away at home. I could easily switch from a Bumblefoot tone, to Meshuggah or Opeth. <shrug>

Overall, I'm still lost as ever. I appreciate all the help you people have given. Anybody that can comment on the Peavey ValveKing I'd really appreciate it. Its a good value for a tube amp.

I'm considering all the above options you've all listed, but I hestiate to buy used on an amp I haven't played before. Though I've seen the deals you mentioned would be on Ebay (although they didn't have too many amps).

My suggestion is....don't overthink it too much. This isn't going to be the amp to end all amps. You'll buy another in the future.

But for now, since we're not talking about a ton of money...go with your gut. Go with what sounds good and will keep you playing. If you had fun with the Line 6 and don't want to worry about buying other effects, get that one. Take it home, play around with it. Tweak the effects. And as you continue to play, you'll have a better idea of what sound want. So you'll have a better idea of what to look for when you're at the store.

If you're new, you haven't even figured out 'your' sound yet. So get something decent that you like and just keep playing. Then save up and research. So when yo'ure ready to buy the big rig, you'll knew exactly what you want.

Then you must continue your Quest For Tone. Start keeping a notepad in your car. Write all your thoughts and impressions to each amp. Make sure you write the models down, for future reference. Rate them if you want. Like, out of 4 stars. Once you've tried everything out there that you can find, you can go back and retry the ones that left the best impression.

Trust us.... finding good tone is like a sprinter in a marathon. You'll run out of steam well before you find the right amp. If you need, take a week off from searching, then start up again. Don't kill all your free time, but don't settle on "good enough for now".

Rick Pierpont said:
I will ALWAYS highly recommend Mesa Boogie! I finally took my own advice, saved up for a while and have been the proud owner of a Mark IV rack head since 1991! I finally stopped buying and selling amps!! No, I'm not a paid employee, endorsee, ortherwsie affiliated with M/B in any way -- just a very happy customer!

I *am* an endorsee, and I agree. ;) Fear not used Boogie gear, either - you can pick up some of the Mesa 1-12" combos (Studio .22 or .50 Caliber come to mind) for $500 or so on evilBay, and they're basically unbreakable - worst case, you have to re-tube. Don't worry about volume, either. ;)

Carvin also makes some pretty nice combo amps for good prices, and I'll definitely second the used 5150/6505 suggestion - and the new Valve King is pretty good sounding, too - especially if you drop a TubeScreamer in front it...