Need Musical Suggestions..

JHawk

Dream Within A Dream
Jun 7, 2003
Reality Noir
www.xanga.com
I'm lookin' for some new music. As much as I liked my varied collection, I need some new things to add to it, 'pacifically more Epic Metal. Let me give some parameters: I love Guardian, but out of the two albums I have, I like Opera more. (The other being Nightfall.) And out of Symphony, I tend to listen to The Odyssey over Twilight. I've also started liking Shadows Fall.

Any suggestions? Something loud to really piss the 'rents off.. :)

Hi, I am new to the board. I love Sym x and many other prog/metal bands. If you like epic type metal try some Rhapsody. They are fantasy oriented prog metal band that is neo classical and theatric that also has alot of operatic elements. Give them a listen and tell me what you think. :)

Iced Earth - Something wicked This Way Comes, especially the ending trilogy of the album.

Zero Hour - Towers of Avarice. They might not be so "epic", but the song concepts are to that direction.

Kamelot - Epica. Guess the name says it all... :) You'll love it, try their Karma album too.

Edguy - Vain Glory Opera. Their best album IMO.

Avantasia - Parts 1 & 2. Tobias Sammet's (Edguy) solo project. Many different singers and several guest musicians. Both albums tell the story, so... you know... a metal opera.

Dark Moor - Between Light and Darkness and/or The Gates of oblivion. I haven't listened them very much. Download a few songs before buying the CD.

Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus pt. 1 & 2, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt. 1 and 2. Worth trying, trust me.

Redemption - Redemption. Jason Rullo's (we ALL know who he is...:)) side project. Excellent music, but not very "epic". But still, one of my most prized possessions... Very Well Done.

The a few others worth concidering: Lost Horizon, Rhapsody, Luca Turilli (Rhapsody's guitarist), Adagio, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Conception (not very "epic" one might say...), Arjen A. Lucassen's ALL projects, but: Ayreon (all albums, but you might find Flight of the Migrator quite interesting), Star One (Sir Russell Allen is on this album, great album IMO).

Should give you some new bands to look into...

PERSONAL UPDATE: My "metal" list is almost ready for the large crowds... Just a little fine tuning left...

Adagio - Neo-classical metal in the style of a darker Symphony X

Pagan's Mind - Great progressive-power metal from Norway that's as epic as it is hard-hitting.

Conception - their album Flow is a pop metal masterpiece... stuff that SHOULD be played on the radio but isn't

Time Requiem - another Symphony X type band in the style of Adagio

Opeth - Artsy progressive death metal

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Get Björk - Vespertine, Homogenic, and Post albums.

As much as I love Bjork, It's not metal. Epic maybe, but not metal.

I'm Gonna second the props for Conception's "Flow". Awesome album.

Also, try Avantasia. Love it.

Yes there are just so many to choose from! You wouldn't think there would be so many groups of a genre not even heard of by about 90% of people. Well these are just some suggestions:

Angra-Rebirth
Evergrey- Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy/Recreation Day
Nightwish- Wishmaster
Sonata Arctica- Winterheart's Guild
Adagio- Sanctus Ignis

symphonyXjapan said:
Yes there are just so many to choose from! You wouldn't think there would be so many groups of a genre not even heard of by about 90% of people. Well these are just some suggestions:

Angra-Rebirth
Evergrey- Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy/Recreation Day
Nightwish- Wishmaster
Sonata Arctica- Winterheart's Guild
Adagio- Sanctus Ignis

You're right... we're truly lucky that there are so many talented bands doing this type of music... even though nobody listens to it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I forgot to add I do have Rhapsody's "Power Of The Dragonflame", I also saw an Iced Earth album I have too. I never really got into Iced Earth, it just didn't work for me.

This Evergrey keeps popping up around here, so I'm gonna give them and everything else ya'll suggested a try. Thanks much.

Oh, if those living in NY or Long Island specifically, I think Evergrey is playing at a place called The Downtown. I'll look that up and get back to ya'll.. :)