Need quick answers about 2ch rectifier channel cloning/switching

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

My bandmate is selling his powerball for a dual rectifier, and the 'buyer' is actually selling a dual recto to fun the powerball. My mate was going to buy a 3 channel dual recto with the money, but is now interested in a trade with this buyer he's found, although the guy has a 2 channel dual rectifier. I know the general consensus is that they sound a bit smoother than the 3 channels, but our issue is practicality.

He had his heart set on a 3 channel to be able to have 2 separate sounds for high gain rhythms and high gain leads, but I am aware of something called channel cloning or something on the 2 channels, that somehow gives you 2 high gain sounds.

I downloaded and read the channel cloning section of the pdf manual from the boogie website but I didn't quite understand it. Can someone please give me an easy to understand low-down of what it actually all means and how it can be implemented in a practical/live band context.

If it doesn't turn out to be what we want, he can always chuck an EQ pedal in the loop and use it to boost the signal, but we'd rather know how channel cloning works right now because the guy is coming over tomorrow to try the powerball and bring the recto to my mate to try out, so answers are appreciated guys! :)

good trade.

the recto has 2 channels...orange and red.
normally both channels are high-gain channels (orange with a more vintage voiceing, red modern).
it is possible to set the orange to clean though-->orange=clean, modern=highgain.

and with channelcloning you can (in addition to that) make the orange channel another modern channel OR the red channel another vintage channel...
the clean/highgain switch is independent from that...so you could clone orange to red AND have it on clean=a different more sparkly clean.

so your options are:

Orange: vintage high gain
Red: modern high gain

Orange:modern high gain
Red:modern highgain

Orange:vintage high gain
Red:vintage high gain

Orange:vintage clean
Red:modern highgain

Orange: modern clean
Red: modern high gain

Orange: vintage clean
Red:vintage high gain

so in short...it's totally possible to have 2 different (or same) high gain sounds at the same time

Thanks Lasse. You were who I had in mind to give me answers in this thread.

I personally think the guy getting the powerball might be getting the rough end of the stick but that's just me. :D

Thanks again.

If I were you I would NOT bring a tubescreamer to the trade and NOT test the rec too thoroughly...also leave it on vacuum tubes (which is what the guy trading it was using I guess)
chances are he's never tried a TS and hence doesn't like the recto...
so if he'd hear the PB and the Recto with TS back to back he might pull out and step away from that trade

:lol:

Yea I might go to my mate's place when the trade occurs and help him play dumb or something. I have no doubt that the recto sounds amazing and my mate will take my word for it, as he also loves the tone I get from my 3 channel recto, so if we just have a quick mess with really bad EQ settings and say "yep sounds AMAZING" he'll probably be on his way.

He's only bringing over the recto for my mate to check it out...as he is also bringing cash for the powerball, as he's taking it, whether we take the recto or not. He is having to sell his recto to make the cash back for himself as I understand it.