Best rectifier for recording?

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I know this may be a bit of a personal preference topic, but I was curious what you guys with rectos would have to say about it. I would eventually like to grab a rectifier for recording/some live use, and would like to know what to keep my eyes open for. I was curious what you guys found to be the best for recording..? from what I have heard, I'm thinking a dual recto with 3 channels? my reason for thinking this was I was thinking I heard the orange channel was best for recording (or at east the best for making IRs), and lower wattage means it breaks up sooner. to my knowledge, there are no 3 channel single rectos, right? lolzgreg? ryan? anyone else?

Nope only 2 channel single recto's. and if you want the best one for overall everything just get a dual recto. and if you can find a two channel for cheaper get that. but yeah the dual recto is great studio and live amp. the triple rec is a little over kill unless your playing huge shows where you need 150 watts. which if you have professional sound anyways your stage volume wont be that loud to begin with. so id say get the dual recto.

Definitely a Dual Rec, I've never heard or played a Single I liked, and the Triple just needs to be cranked louder to sound good. As for 2 vs. 3 channels, I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and recommend the 3 channel models, every 2 channel clip I've heard (through V30s anyway), not to mention the countless ones I made while I had one, just had an abundance of fizz around 6k that I could not get rid of (moving the mic from the dustcap took away bite/clarity; turning and the treble/presence knobs focused mainly around 3k/4k, respectively; and turning down the gain made it sound, well, undergained). Check out these thread for more info:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/522517-guess-amp-no-ts.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/499363-bit-dokken-c-rectifier-d-2.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...2-ch-dual-rec-new-interface-better-tonez.html

And here's a quick clip of the best tone I've gotten out of mine through my Recto cab (from my upcoming EP), with EQ (narrow cuts at 700 Hz, 2k, and 6k, ranging from 1-3 dB, as well as HP/LP and Multiband comp on the palm mutes) and without (just HP/LP and Multiband comp). And while I haven't recorded a 3 channel, I know all the fizzless Rectifier clips and album tones I've heard have been with 3 channel models! For reference, I'd say 2 channel = This Godless Endeavor, 3 channel = Behemoth's Demigod, take your pic :D (actually though, if you can afford it, I'm pretty certain the Roadster is my favorite of the bunch, slightly darker than the standard Dual Rec but so beefy, I want badly :erk: )

I've got a comparison betwenn the 3ch and 2ch somewhere, too lazy to search now...should be from between the 12th and 18th of oct.

2ch wins easily IMO...
not that the 3ch is bad, I'd love to have one, but the 2ch sounds more 3D, organic and open IMO

After owning a 2 channel dual and a 3 channel, the 2 channel takes the cake IMO. I absolutely hated my 3 channel dual and sold it almost immediately after buying it. Out of all of the rectos that I've played though (including my roadster) my favorite is probably the older rackmounted 2 channel dual rectos.

2 channels is more fizzy and have old school vibe sound (Vader or CC are good exemples imo) than 3 channels. But if you want one only for recording and if you need some clean sound I recomande you a 3 channels. Clean sound on 2 channels are really hard to obtain;)

But if you can affort it: buy a 2 channels and a 3 channels:headbang:

so we're all on the same page that the duals are best though, right? are you guys all using the red channel? the voicing is different from channel 2 to channel 3, right? I have only ever played a 3 channel once because my head died. I didn't really have any time to mess with it. I have a mesa stiletto and both channels have a crunch, but they sound a lot different. I assume it would be this way with the recto. kinda pointless to have 2 channels that sound exactly the same unless one had less gain/more compression or something...

btw I love that meaty as hell sound from Vomitorys last album... when it was released i just couldn't imagine that Rectifiers have been used (but I can't remember which one) for the guitars.

2 channels is more fizzy and have old school vibe sound (Vader or CC are good exemples imo) than 3 channels. But if you want one only for recording and if you need some clean sound I recomande you a 3 channels. Clean sound on 2 channels are really hard to obtain;)

But if you can affort it: buy a 2 channels and a 3 channels:headbang:

I had the opposite experience. I found the 3 channel to be considerably 'looser' and fizzier than my old 2 channel.

so we're all on the same page that the duals are best though, right? are you guys all using the red channel? the voicing is different from channel 2 to channel 3, right? I have only ever played a 3 channel once because my head died. I didn't really have any time to mess with it. I have a mesa stiletto and both channels have a crunch, but they sound a lot different. I assume it would be this way with the recto. kinda pointless to have 2 channels that sound exactly the same unless one had less gain/more compression or something...

According to the manual, they're identical except for the presence knob being more aggressive on the red channel (you can even order a replacement pot to get them completely identical)

After owning a 2 channel dual and a 3 channel, the 2 channel takes the cake IMO. I absolutely hated my 3 channel dual and sold it almost immediately after buying it. Out of all of the rectos that I've played though (including my roadster) my favorite is probably the older rackmounted 2 channel dual rectos.

As far as I know there's no difference between those and the 2 channel heads though?

As far as I know there's no difference between those and the 2 channel heads though?

The circuit design is the same. However, Boogie had to design a smaller circuit board to fit the rack chassis and it is believed by some that the subtle change in capacitance between traces (due to changing the board layout) had a slight affect on tone.

I haven't been able to compare the rack mount to the standard head side-by-side, so it's hard to say how big the difference really is.

Uh-huh :lol:

spiceposter.jpg

I know.... :) It makes sense from an electrical point-of-view, but in reality, even if the board capacitances are slightly different, would it even be something you could hear comparing two amps, let alone once they're in a mix.

I've always preferred the 3 channel clips that got posted around here. I never bought into the 2 channel sounds better thing, both amps are great.

3Ch Triple's works just fine (awsome if you have a strong right hand), just don't put the precense past 09.00 o clock on the red channel. Remember a boost/TS for this one!!