Need some final opinions, PLEASE. Can't judge my own mix.(5150, Slate/LSD Superior)

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I've posted another song from this band a few weeks ago and some of you guys really liked it. I had to change a lot of stuff because the band asked for it... then I got ill and couldn't mix. Too much time to listen to this mix and it drives me nuts.

I'm not sure If I should lower the rythms (and there is something nasal about it that I can't get out) or raise the leads. same for vocals. I'm not sure about the amount of bass in the mix... please let me know. Be cruel!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/TYF/TYF%203%20F.mp3

I can't really comment cause I am listening on iMac speakers, but it seems balanced here. I don't like the general style cause it's very "raw" to my ears (with lots of mids) but overall everything seems to fit.

Kinda everything. I mean, kick and toms don't sound scooped. It sounds more like a hardcore-type mix than a metal mix. If that makes any sense!

But keep in mind, I barely have any bass on these speakers - I just came from listening to Fragle's "Inception" mix and that sounded much more "clinical"/scooped.

yup, thought they're more hardcore than metal. Kick is kick10 and lsd slappunch, thought those are allready pretty scooped. So is that a good or a bad thing now :D

sounds to me like the guitar fader could come down a hair, and i think it definitely could use a notch somewhere in the nasal range like you said. drums and bass sound good.

Everything sounds quite good to me, but the toms are panned a bit to hard for me. Also the guitars could get a hair less mids, but i think this is a matter of taste.

Good work!

Regards

Sounds really good man! its not for me to say really but I would try adding a little more top end to those toms and maybe a tad more reverb to them not much though.

thanks man! I don't see a reason why you shouldn't say it :) As everything in music it's always about opinions!

Will check the top end and verb!

Good mix and I do like the relative rawness of it compared to most stuff of this genre.

Only thing i'd suggest is using a different set of cymbals and hi-hats, the Toontrack ones have been used to death and it's a dead giveaway they're programmed even to people who don't record.

They're panned a bit too far out for my liking though, otherwise I dig the mix.

sounds very good to me, maybe you could put the guitars a bit more in the background, vocals more in the front.

cheers
S.

Everything sounds good but I dont think the balance works out.
Check the mix in mono.

For me the guitars are WAY to loud. the bass guitar isnt cutting through.
Vocals are to silent (but I think if you lower the guitars the vocals will sit perfectly)