Need some honest opinions on this.

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
I'm not sure in which sub-forum I should post this...but here goes...
I need you to be honest, this is mainly for nevermore fans, which I know there are a lot here.

So here's my problem, I have this small rough recording of a song I idea I had:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/316805/realesc/fooooorrl/fooorrl001.mp3

After I recorded it and got all excited I noticed that there's a resemblance of one of the riffs with a riff from a nevermore song from their new album. I won't say which one, hoping that you won't notice it, but chances are that you will...so my question is this: Should I keep the riff or is the resemblance too obvious?
Maybe it's just in my head but it's really annoying me.

If you're a HUGE Nevermore fan, then yes there is some striking similarity... but is there REALLY any originality left? LoL. Every band is a rip off of another somewhat in some way. I think it's fine. Sounds good!

Well, based on the responses there's no need to worry since no one will bother to listen to it... ;)

Kidding aside, thanks Uber for answering, I don't need it to be original I just don't want people to listen to it and think I'm ripping off nevermore. Maybe I'll try to make it just a little bit different but I like it too much to just through it away...

Well... if I had listened to it not knowing I was supposed to be listening for a Nevermore rip-off, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. But maybe that's just me. Like I said, just do your thing and let your influences shine! :D

Rhythm guitars need to come up in the mix. I noticed a little Nevermore style in there, but ripping off Nevermore is ripping off originality itself. The world needs more bands like Nevermore.

Needs more bass too.

This is just a quick rough recording/mix to test some ideas, so it wasn't meant to be perfect. Now that I think about it I should have posted this in the main forum, sorry (Lasse if you see this feel free to move it). Thanks for listening though.