Need some intellectual help to produce something (Rock/pop/industrial/whatever)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

At first, I am not posting at the gear sale forum because I am primarily looking for intellectual help, but that may change. More later.

My wife has some songs that she would've liked me to produce. I even talked to Mike / 006 to have that guy he works with record some drums, but lately my wife's mind has changed and she does not want anything with real drums in it. She's saying she wants something of a cross between Marilyn Manson and Placebo (!!!!!!! I know, super gay). As weird as it may be, I picture it as some kind of heavy Depeche Mode of some sort - you know, the programmed beats, that mood, but with Marilyn Manson-ish / Rammstein-ish distorted guitars. She's digging a lot a Belgian band called Vive la Fette, which has KINDA what she wants.

OK, the thing is that, to be 100% honest, I don't get this type of music. The language is something beyond what I relate to music, so I am not developing any ideas at all, and that is creating a conflicting situation between us.

To make things shorter, could anyone gimme some tips on producing beats for this sort of thing ? General groove tips, what software to use, any producing tips, whatever! At first we don't have any money to spend 'til Zoe is fully recovered from her surgery, so that's why I am asking solely for tips. But down the road we never know. If anyone knows how to work with this kind of thing, has the tools, has good ideas that fit the songs and a price that's compatible with our pockets, then we may talk money.

Cheers,
Ivan

Well my first thought quickly like this would be to start with the synths. The beat is usually quite linear but instead of having hi-hats and tambourines they have funky techno'ish sounds for example. Rammstein and Marylin Manson have quite simple very rhythmic guitars so once you have the melodies and the beats it's easy to add. Oh also don't be shy with the cutoff with the synths. Maybe start with arpegiators and go coocoo? :p

Also listen, analyze, learn, imitate. A bit like learning a new language maybe? But less extreme?