need to know a little about paris

bodominator

Feb 8, 2006
somewhere in ohio
my neice is flying to paris france today and i was wondering if there is anything anybody knows about the place.
she is from america so that in it of itself may be a bit problematic.
i was curious to know if there is any places she needs to go to, stay away from,etc.
i am not saying anything bad about french people, i just heard that they don't really care for americans to much.
happy new year everybody.thanks:headbang:

my neice is flying to paris france today and i was wondering if there is anything anybody knows about the place.
i was curious to know if there is any places she needs to go to, stay away from,etc.
i am not saying anything bad about french people, i just heard that they don't really care for americans to much.
ask some of the quebecois over here...

don't go to france

I haven't been there, but my old employer for two years was from France. His family had 4 generations of champagne production and he came over here to do his own thing. I lived there (at the winery) for the better part of a year. One of the best times of my life. Fuck I miss that job. Anyway, I digress...

This is probably common sense, but I'd imagine she shouldn't act like an over-patriotic arrogant American asshole. You're digging yourself a grave if you do that. Be respectful of their culture, traditions, yadda yadda; and I think she'll be fine. Chances are she'll run into people that won't like the fact that she's from America, regardless how courteous she might be to them; but they're probably the French equivalent of the aforementioned stereotype I stated at the beginning of this paragraph. From what I've seen in home movies and on TV, it's a beautiful country with a ton of culture and sights to see. She should have an awesome time. Mind you Paris is also a tourist attraction so she's not going to be the only American there. Most European countries also require you to learn English in school (by the time you graduate you have to be fluent, I think anyway. I'm sure somebody on here can vouch for that), so she shouldn't have a hard time communicating with most people. But, as I said before, there will be some people who are going to be assholes about it and expect her to speak French (I'm not sure if she does or not anyway. I'm just assuming she doesn't).

As far as going places, I'd say the Eiffel Tower obviously, The Louvre, Bastille, and some wineries if at all possible. I'd absolutely love to go to France and go to the villages and visit some Chateaus sometime. But from having worked in a winery I've subsequently turned into a wine/alcohol snob, so that's just me. She might not even be old enough to drink. Although, I'm not sure if this is true or not (but I wouldn't doubt it), my old employer was allegedly given a drink of Champagne after birth even before his mother's milk. And children having wine with their meals and such is common occurance there, from my understanding. Just obviously not in excess.

Anyway, just tell her to go see all the famous historical places, drink some wine, and eat some good food that you wouldn't normally get here in the states. The French definitely know how to cook.
I'm jealous. Hope she has a good time.

Paris is a beautiful place. i visited last year, and it's very historical, with the churches and all the napoleon monuments. i loved it. and no, the french people over there were not rude to me, and i'm american. in fact at one of the restaurants we ate at, the waitress was very kind and even took a picture with us. tell her not to worry and just enjoy being there.

You are very communicative :p I want a boyfriend like you hahaha

Well if that was directed towards myself then thank you very much for the compliment :)
A Montreal-ian, huh? From what my old boss told me, you guys speak a whole different language of French over there. :lol:
I guess the last time he was there he was talking to some people in French, and he could barely understand what they were saying (mind you he is French, and lived there until he was um...25ish I'd imagine, and didn't know a word of English when he moved here).
He said that the people in Montreal/Quebec speak the "old-style" of French? Circa 250 years ago or something? I guess he had a real hard time understanding even though he's completely fluent.
Just thought it was interesting.

If you don't mind me asking and if it isn't too elaborative to where it'll bore both of us to tears, what's the difference(s)?
I don't speak French, but I do speak some Spanish (which isn't terribly different from the modern French), and from what you'll be saying I'd imagine it won't matter anyway since you won't technically have to speak in French to tell me.
Or I guess I could check it out on Wikipedia. Whatever. I'm just find trivial (well sort of, in this case) information interesting.

Nevermind. I'm reading about Quebec French on Wikipedia. How bizarre. To me anyway. I'm so jealous of you bi/tri/quad/quin/whatever-languals.