Needing Help Learning To Scream..

Killswitch_kev

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2005
Scotland
hey fokes im in a metal band tho i do not sing i play guitar but now the singers wanting a little backing screaming and im feeling up to the job but aint really sure on how to get a really good screaming voice as i aint done it before and the singer in my band aint really sure how he can do it either (which doesnt help lol) so if anyone has some good tips on helping me to get good at screaming let me know

cheers kev

Killswitch_kev said:
hey fokes im in a metal band tho i do not sing i play guitar but now the singers wanting a little backing screaming and im feeling up to the job but aint really sure on how to get a really good screaming voice as i aint done it before and the singer in my band aint really sure how he can do it either (which doesnt help lol) so if anyone has some good tips on helping me to get good at screaming let me know

cheers kev

just scream i guess. Not to start anything but killswitch engage is..... well not good

Before you learn to scream, learn to write. Because the way you are writing right now tells me that youre a crappy guitarist, your band sucks, and you all like Slipknot.

Depends what type of scream you're looking for. Stop using the word "aint," for starters. Trust me, you'll achieve your goal this way.

He managed to use it three times in that one, long, horrible run-on sentence. Screaming is easy, you just.... let it out, however I hear growling is the harder thing to do. Have never tried it though. It'd be kind of ridiculous--- maybe funny.

I reckon screaming is much easier than proper growling. You hear so many new bands doing the hardcore style shouty scream - the really whiny, strained sort - which I hate, but it seems that much fewer people can pull off a nice healthy death metal roar :)

This is probably what you're looking for anyhow...but start by practicing to some Metalcore songs, I personally hate the stuff but the style is much easier to pick up and build further upon. Killswitch Engage has easy to imitate vocals and don't require a whole lot of skill to perform so you probably won't tear up your voice too bad. Once you get those type of vocals down ok and you want to pursue Death Metal vocals start by doing some Morbid Angel type stuff, maybe Hate Eternal as well. It becomes a little more difficult when you actually start developing a unique style whether it be the easy to understand, mid-end screams of Johan Lindstrand or some of the higher stuff done by Peter Tatgren from Hypocrisy.

Black Metal vocals were a little harder for me to learn. Practice to the Wrath of the Tyrant demo by Emperor as Ihsahn at the time was very raw and undeveloped with his vocals. Just remember this, your screams can sound like shit and you can still be a "good" Black Metal vocalist (Burzum). I'd say to go for a style like Ihsahn, more convetional type stuff like Abbath from Immortal or maybe Maniac from Mayhem for those real fucked up sounding vocals.

If you're just looking to do Hardcore/Metalcore screaming and you just happened to confuse the genre as "Metal" and not "The illegitimate, unwanted bastard child of Metal" then just get some Killswitch Engage type stuff and practice to that...you should be screaming aquedate in a week or so.

If you want to scream, then you don't want to growl like a death metal vocalist. I agree that death metal growls are more difficult. Listen to a lot of Black Metal. Experiment with your voice, and see how close you get.

Please do not practice this while driving in your car. People do enough stupid things while driving. Pay attention to what's going on around you, not how good or bad your scream is. Thanks.

Best advice I can give is honey - lots of it to lube the throat. Also try screaming from your stomach (as weird as that sounds) as that reduces the strain on your vox chords.