circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Negura Bunget – Inarborat Kosmos EP
code666 Records – code028 – May 31st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

negurabunget.jpg

There’s only 734 copies of Inarborat Kosmos floating around, and I’m sure they’re all gone by now. In effect, I’ll wish those of you that weren’t able to procure the latest from Negura Bunget: happy eBaying. Inarborat Kosmos is a twenty-minute EP that’ll eventually be book ended by 2002’s fantastic ’N Crugu Bradului and the group’s upcoming OM. How does the trio fare here, though? Excellent as always.

Really, this latest work from Negura Bunget is impressive in a number of ways. The artwork is stupefying, and even more so when coupled with an adequate amount of sunlight. The music within – though it doesn’t vary immensely from their previous masterworks – is laced with the eeriness that I’ve come to expect from them. The opening track, “Wordless Knowledge,” commences wonderfully and my mind drifted back to Burzum upon hearing the majestic, keyboard arrangements. Shortly following the requisite introduction, the song morphs into a primitive black metal soundscape. Still, the band’s ability to forge an unsettling atmosphere is, basically, unrivaled. And, moreover, Hupogrammos’s vox are the proverbial cream of the crop. “Cint de Sursur” supports the frightful ambience that Negura Bunget are so fond of implementing. “Uprising Follow” is back at the BM grindstone while “Vaiet” takes hints from “Cint de Sursur” and ups them with freakish wails, screams, and grunts. The conspicuous gasp – that ultimately closes the MCD – is climactic, but there’s simply no more to be heard afterwards.

Again, just to reiterate, there’s only 734 of these in existence, which means there’s no time to inwardly mull over the issue. If you fancy anything that Negura Bunget have crafted in the past, the decision to hunt down Inarborat Kosmos is one that can be made without using your brain. Don’t like these Romanians? Then how the hell did you make it this far?!

8/10

Official Negura Bunget Website
Official code666 Records Website