Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Negura Bunget – ‘N Crugu Bradului
code666 code14 2003
By Russell Garwood

Negura Bunget hail from Transylvania, Romania and rather than play the gothic/vampire metal you could expect are responsible for primitive (read: “true”) yet complex black metal. The band’s varied sound includes folk elements, well placed keyboards, and progressive, ornate song-writing, while strong links with nature are apparent and a dolorous atmosphere pervades their work. A concept album, “‘N Crugu Bradului” consists of four songs, each one documenting the changes a season brings to the environment through the eyes of a shepherd. Amid the pummeling sections of black metal are majestic, reflective and at times unsettling acoustic passages, all enhanced by clearer production than the group’s previous albums.

Negura Bunget comprises Negru on drums and percussion, guitarist Spurcata and Hupogrammos Disciple’s [sic] on vocals, guitars and keys. The bass is provided by session musician Ursa. My only complaint with this release is the clean vocals – seldom in tune and frequently grating, they can detract from the music (if you dislike discordant vox). Luckily they are rarely used so overall this is an atmospheric haunting and successful recording, which – despite the fact I’ve never been there – I feel confident genuinely imbues the Transylvanian spirituality. Highly recommended for black metal fans..