Neofolk

Jun 23, 2007
I'm looking for some melancholy folky music, stuff like Ulver's "Kveldssanger" and Empyrium's folk albums. Maybe something similar to the folk sections in Opeth's early stuff also. Anyone got any suggestions for this kind of music? I can't find much. Oh, and albums similar to Bergtatt would be nice :)

Some Agalloch, namely The White EP, Tenhi, Drudkh- Songs of Grief and Solitude, Fjällstorm, Neun Welten, Träd, Gräs Och Stenar, Of the wand and the moon are some I can think of off the top of my head. I could have sworn there are other thread about exactly this. If you haven't heard of Tenhi, do so asap they are probably the best band in terms of bands that are similar to what you have mentioned. In terms of where to start with them it's all good, but maybe start with "Kauan".

I 2'nd Agalloch's 'The White' EP, Tenhi and Of The Wand And The Moon. I'd probably say though that my favourite Neofolk album is 'Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre' by Current 93. I'd say I've become almost addicted to that album. It's pretty much all spoken-word, a wee bit weird but I just love it's atomosphere.

Since people are recommending Agalloch, I also suggest Sol Invictus, a dark folk-ish band by whom they are influenced (I think they have even done a cover?)

^Yep, don't know why but I understood that he wanted folk/folk rock, then I read the OP again and I started crying.
Fuck if he wants Folk rock as well, then this thread can have more purpose as those two ones I posted have all he needs in terms of neo folk. Folk rock is one of my favorite sub genres so many good artists.

thanks for the suggestions guys, I listened to samples of Tenhi's "Maaäet" on amazon and it sounds pretty nice! I'll try and find samples for more in a bit.

and yeah, by all means do suggest some folk rock if you want :) I love folk rock as well, just I was after some more neofolk as it seems difficult to come by.

Oh well, since you said folk rock ;)

Al Stewart - Rhymes in Rooms
An acoustic live album, it really shows Al Stewart's folk influences.
Ane Brun - A Temporary Dive
Ane Brun - Changing of the Seasons

Folkish pop, she's really good.
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat

Again, folkish pop, from the seventies this time. Really soothing.
Comus - First Utterance
Acid Folk, if you don't know them already because of Mike.
Finntroll - Visor Om Slutet
As much as people bash this band, I find this acoustic EP quite good.
Horslips - Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part
Horslips - The Book of Invasions: a Celtic Symphony

Folk Rock, with Irish folk influences.
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
He's one hell of a writer, this is a folk album.
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Woods

Prog rock with a ton of folk influences, they are one of the greates 70-80 prog acts for sure. Thick as a Brick has the least influences, but it is my favourite.
Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street
Folkish stuff.
Mostly Autumn - For All We Shared...
Mostly Autumn - Spirit of the Autumn Past

They merge folk and prog rock a la Pink Floyd in a great way, I reccomended them a while ago.
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Those are ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY.
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un Minuto
Italian Symphonic Prog, lots of folk influences.

There's heaps more, I'm sure of it.

are you actually looking for folk, or rock bands with folky elements? because there are plenty of genuine folk bands out there.

if you consider bluesgrass 'folk' or roots music, maybe try bela fleck and the flecktones. they are kinda a bluegrass/jazz roots band, victor wooten plays bass for them. also future man uses this odd device he made for percussion, i have no idea how it works but its very different to a drum kit

are you actually looking for folk, or rock bands with folky elements? because there are plenty of genuine folk bands out there.

if you consider bluesgrass 'folk' or roots music, maybe try bela fleck and the flecktones. they are kinda a bluegrass/jazz roots band, victor wooten plays bass for them. also future man uses this odd device he made for percussion, i have no idea how it works but its very different to a drum kit

Bluegrass IS a form of folk. It's Appalachian folk, which is very influenced by Irish folk. I love straight-up bluegrass, but I don't think the OP is looking for this type of folk. I wouldn't consider it neofolk. "Folk" is pretty broad, as is "prog". I think the OP is looking for more in the way of the Scandinavian sound, or an eerier, more foresty sound.

Folk and all folk related genres are very interesting to me. In fact, I'd like to find an eerier, more foresty sounding style of a bluegrass hybrid; with some folk metal overtones. Now that would be something!