Neverheadz thought on: lamb of god????

C'mon guys...we all know Adler isn't even close to the Pearts, Brufords or Portnoys of the world.....I was speaking purely about metal drumming, and go ask the editor of Modern Drummer what his readers ask for most these days. Hold off on the Buddy Rich fanfare too....I assume his name was next on the list of greats.

Kommentar - check back in after your local Gigantour show and let me know how Dave and his band of lackeys sounded after LOG. Dave has alienated all the talent that ever passed thru his band and the last time I saw them was a total bore....they are less than a shell of what they used to be. The way he handled Nevermore and the set times last year was a joke and the only reason he is holding his ego back and allowing LOG on this tour is for one thing only - ticket sales. LOG has a major label album, a big buzz factor and a huge marketing budget. Gigantour is their tour, nuff said.

buzz21 said:
C'mon guys...we all know Adler isn't even close to the Pearts, Brufords or Portnoys of the world.....I was speaking purely about metal drumming, and go ask the editor of Modern Drummer what his readers ask for most these days. Hold off on the Buddy Rich fanfare too....I assume his name was next on the list of greats.

Kommentar - check back in after your local Gigantour show and let me know how Dave and his band of lackeys sounded after LOG. Dave has alienated all the talent that ever passed thru his band and the last time I saw them was a total bore....they are less than a shell of what they used to be. The way he handled Nevermore and the set times last year was a joke and the only reason he is holding his ego back and allowing LOG on this tour is for one thing only - ticket sales. LOG has a major label album, a big buzz factor and a huge marketing budget. Gigantour is their tour, nuff said.

A few much better metal drummers:
Tim Yeung
Derek Roddy
George Kollias
Tony Laureano
Pete Sandoval
Doc from Vader (rip)
Daray from Vader
Inferno (Behemoth)
Sean Reinart
Richard Christy
John Longstreth

...the list could go on for a long time.
Also, what the readers of Modern Drummer want is about as good of a talent indicator as what the readers of Guitar World want (as in not a good one at all).

there are different standards for "Great".

Technical skill is one. another is holding down the bottom with great precision. being able to hit 5023421 items with sticks in one minute is not the only criteria.

Buzz21 is spot on about MegaEgoDave. The guy once had some cred as a trailblazer but now he's just old and cranky, and for god's sake, stop crying about everything. I'll give him credit for one thing, he's made himself relevant in a business sense by creating Gigantour. Otherwise, he'd be playing to 250 fans a night in vomit filled dives.

Oh come on now.

I hate when people discredit great musicians because "there are better ________'s out there." There will always be better musicians out there. Why does anyone bother playing guitar when there's Johnny Hiland and Guthrie Govan? Jaco will never be topped on bass, so every bassist in a successful band sucks.

Chris Adler is a great drummer. He's tight, holds a groove like a beast, is solid as fuck, comes up with creative beats, and you know who he is the second you hear him play. I mean, is there anything else you could ever want in a drummer? He might not be the show whore of Mike Portnoy, or have the jazz fusion chops of Bruford, or the unfathomable respect and legacy of Peart, but when it comes to metal drumming, LOG couldn't have asked for a better player. I'm actually willing to say that LOG owes at least half of their success (if not more) to the fact that Chris is so good.

There's always a bitter backlash against success and sometimes its warrented (Avenged Fold Seven), but when guys are out there giving it their all, it doesn't matter how big they get. Sometimes they deserve it. Everyone in LOG is superior to most metal players, and thats why they're huge. Give it up, they're a great band.

Brooks said:
Oh come on now.

I hate when people discredit great musicians because "there are better ________'s out there." There will always be better musicians out there. Why does anyone bother playing guitar when there's Johnny Hiland and Guthrie Govan? Jaco will never be topped on bass, so every bassist in a successful band sucks.

Chris Adler is a great drummer. He's tight, holds a groove like a beast, is solid as fuck, comes up with creative beats, and you know who he is the second you hear him play. I mean, is there anything else you could ever want in a drummer? He might not be the show whore of Mike Portnoy, or have the jazz fusion chops of Bruford, or the unfathomable respect and legacy of Peart, but when it comes to metal drumming, LOG couldn't have asked for a better player. I'm actually willing to say that LOG owes at least half of their success (if not more) to the fact that Chris is so good.

There's always a bitter backlash against success and sometimes its warrented (Avenged Fold Seven), but when guys are out there giving it their all, it doesn't matter how big they get. Sometimes they deserve it. Everyone in LOG is superior to most metal players, and thats why they're huge. Give it up, they're a great band.

good points.

Wolftribe said:
not really.

dammit!

as for the drum thing, I brought up bruford to make a silly point that saying there are betters is a worthless remark. I think this LOG drumming dude is fantastic, he plays with the style perfectly. And do we really know he can't outplay certain people, just because he doesn't show it in the music? (rhetorical question, I honestly don't care)

Those who listen to music purely on the grounds of technical ability are really missing out on some of the finer things in life, poor you. It's akin to having sex with a robot! But hey, whatever turns you on.

They will render us all obsolete.

And by render I literally mean "To reduce, convert, or melt down (fat) by heating"

yeah, ROBOT fuel.

OH WAIT, LIKE IN THE MATRIX. it all makes a horrible kind of sense now! It means........
Keanu Reeves IS GAY!!?!?!?

See, it'll never happen like in the Matrix, cause the robots'll be too smart to do it exactly the same as some movie we made. They'll suck in that movie, and all the futuristic AI robot movie's we've made, and then do something completely different.

Like flying toasters with laser beams.

How devious, the very thing that brought peace and harmony ended up being the same thing that destroyed us all.

God bless you, classic windows screensaver.

Brooks said:
Sometimes they deserve it. Everyone in LOG is superior to most metal players, and thats why they're huge. Give it up, they're a great band.

That's where you're wrong. They're superior to most radio rock players, and that might be part of why they're huge, but they (and by "they", I mean everyone in the band) haven't got shit on most death metal players.

They certainly write better songs.

And honestly, I dont think most Death Metal players are really all that great. What they often play is just musical bombardment, flurries of notes and riffs that just attack you and dont give you any room to breathe. Technicality for technicalities sake. Thats not fun, or interesting, or even good.

When it comes to a riff that gets you in your gut and physically moves you, well, its been a long time since Dying Fetus put out a good album.

PS: Exceptions to every rule. Necrophagist.