Nevermore at Reggies

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
So this show finally is tomorrow. Who in Chicagoland is going? I know I am, though I'm debating of going a bit later as I don't care for the warmups.

I'm up in the air on it .. leaning toward a no go. I just saw them last weekend in Cleveland. Their performance was strong .. Chicago should be a good show as well. If I get a wild hair I might show up, but it's a couple hour haul to the venue from my locale.

Britt

I'm up in the air on it .. leaning toward a no go. I just saw them last weekend in Cleveland. Their performance was strong .. Chicago should be a good show as well. If I get a wild hair I might show up, but it's a couple hour haul to the venue from my locale.

Britt

How long overall was the show in Cleveland? It starts at 7, so I'm assuming it'll get done by 11 or 12, but I never know with Reggies. I don't want another Katatonia situation. :lol:

I do REALLY like 2 of Nevermore's albums, being This Godless Endeavor and Dead Heart in a Dead World.
Though they were weak the one time I saw them.
I have heard though that they are playing really well this tour.

This show would need at least one more solid opener for me to attend.

Have fun though. I know Jose (Saladbar) is going.

I do REALLY like 2 of Nevermore's albums, being This Godless Endeavor and Dead Heart in a Dead World.
Though they were weak the one time I saw them.
I have heard though that they are playing really well this tour.

This show would need at least one more solid opener for me to attend.

Have fun though. I know Jose (Saladbar) is going.

This Godless Endeavor is my favorite of theirs and just them playing "Born" and the title track alone is reason enough for me to go. I've also never seen them before. There is a weak lineup though in terms of the the openers.

Neil G/skyrefuge and I showed up at Reggie's just after Hatesphere had finished playing, which was just fine with both of us. Unfortunately, we then had to endure the choreographed vortex of blandness that is Blackguard. They came across as very calculated and workmanlike, and their tunes really bite. It is too bad they are on every metal tour in North America. I mean, the previous ubiquitous live workhorse Into Eternity was not exactly stellar in concert, but at least I like their music a lot.

Next up was Warbringer. I own their second disc. It ranked at the bottom of my 2009 list, so I do not really know their material. They ended up entertaining me to some extent with their enthusiastic performance, the chance to hear classic thrash riffage in a live setting, and their complete lack of Blackguardedness.

Once Nevermore hit the stage, I was enthralled. They have three albums on my list of all-time faves, yet I had never seen them live. I knew the set list would hardly be ideal given its focus on their newer material (though I love This Godless Endeavor), and I was concerned that their (Warrel's) performance would be subpar like it had been on some of the previous dates on this tour. Thankfully, they completely nailed it, IMO.

Warrel sounded quite good and seemed to be genuinely having fun on stage. He is one of my favorite vocalists, and he lived up to my high expectations. That said, I found a surprising amount of my attention drawn to Loomis. His playing is not as crazy busy as that of others I have seen live such as Muhammed of Necrophagist, James of Arsis, or Daniel of Martyr, but Loomis had an awesome stage presence that demanded I watch him flawlessly play his endless arsenal of killer riffs and impressive leads. It actually made me a little mad that I had not seen him back in the day when their (albeit much shorter) setlist would have consisted of a much higher percentage of amazing riffage and solos. I also occasionally focused on Van Williams whose seemingly effortless perfection never ceased to amaze me. Again, his performance was not controlled chaos like Steve Flynn or Sean Reinert, but Van seemed like a consummate professional - an expert at his craft.

I thought hearing Beyond Within and Born live was complete bliss. And then they busted out the Sanctuary song. I knew that this was coming, but I still completely lost my shit during Taste Revenge. I cannot fucking wait to see Sanctuary perform in Atlanta. It is going to be phenomenal. And, yes, Warrel sounded damn good during this song. He can still hit those highs.

In fairness to tr00 concertgoers such as Neil G and Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh, when I say I lost my shit, I should mention that I was viewing the show from a balcony area while sitting in a cushy chair straight out of a rundown hotel lobby. In contrast, Neil was on the edge of the pit wearing his job interview outfit from earlier that day, tie and all. I bow to his energy and floor skills. I loved the balcony area, however, as I had a great view of the stage and was not hampered by my Dio-esque stature. I really liked Reggie's overall actually. It is a great club.

Prior to the concert, I joked that I hoped Nevermore would have This Godless Endeavor shirts on sale as I was not a fan of The Obsidian Conspiracy. To my surprise, they actually were selling TGE shirts. The odd thing was they were the only shirts they were selling. They had nothing related to the new album except the CD itself. Really weird.

Anyway, before and after the show, I ended up listening to all of the Nevermore albums except for their debut. I decided that, though TOC is their weakest entry for me since Enemies of Reality, I like enough of the tunes to warrant a purchase. I guess the band won me over. The new songs did not necessarily fare any better live relative to their previous material, but the band did not strike me as uninspired or just phoning it in. That might have helped tip the scales for me.

I will also note that Dreaming Neon Black had dropped in my rankings a bit based on my last listen, but I really enjoyed it this time. Surprisingly, my enthusiasm waned a bit during Politics though. Rather odd. TGE continued to kick my ass. It has proven its unlikely staying power with me.

I can only hope I have as much fun at the Forbidden show in Milwaukee next month.

Reggies is a great place for shows. The perfect size for certain bands and the sound there is top notch. I love the balcony and chairs up there. If you are tired and get there early to score one you are in the perfect spot. How was the turn out for this?

I am glad JohnFrank that you were able to mention that you were with a guy in a band at the show. It made for a better read.

I cant wait for the Forbidden show myself. That is a killer line up. It is rare when I like every band on a bill and that one is solid. Forbidden, an 80's fave of mine and Evile, Gamma Bomb, and soon to be on a zillion tours Bonded By Blood.

I love the food at Reggies. Get a chance to check it out?

Reggies is a great place for shows. The perfect size for certain bands and the sound there is top notch. I love the balcony and chairs up there. If you are tired and get there early to score one you are in the perfect spot. How was the turn out for this?

I am glad JohnFrank that you were able to mention that you were with a guy in a band at the show. It made for a better read.

I cant wait for the Forbidden show myself. That is a killer line up. It is rare when I like every band on a bill and that one is solid. Forbidden, an 80's fave of mine and Evile, Gamma Bomb, and soon to be on a zillion tours Bonded By Blood.

Neil said he had not seen Reggie's that packed before. Very good turnout.

I did not eat there. My default assumption is that a club will have no food, or they will have crappy food. Good to know they serve decent stuff. I will definitely try to see a show there in the future.

Yeah, I also like Gama Bomb and Bonded by Blood. Evile, not so much. It will be interesting to contrast and compare the rethrash bands with the old timers.

Oh, and I was not there with a member of a band. I just wanted to make sure I mentioned Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh. :)

You should have ordered food. Skyrefuge's head might have exploded at the very concept of the waste of such valuable dimes!

I have had the buffalo chicken sandwich two times now at Reggies, and it fails to disappoint!!! The problem though is getting the punk or hipster waiter / waitress to pay attention to the metalhead patrons there.

I have had the buffalo chicken sandwich two times now at Reggies, and it fails to disappoint!!! The problem though is getting the punk or hipster waiter / waitress to pay attention to the metalhead patrons there.

leave the cute girl waitresses out if it. She was a fantastic server. The hamburgers are great.

For your reference, I would say it was as packed as it was for Katatonia. Though like that show, it seemed that some people left after Warbringer, much like they did for ND and Orphaned Land.

It was a phenomenal show, though I would say it took Dane a song or two to get into a groove.

Johnfrank - They did actually have an Obsidian Conspiracy hoodie, which I found to be odd that they would have that but not a tee. I think they also had other album cover shirts as well, but I was stoked they had one for This Godless Endeavor as it is my favorite album of theirs.

leave the cute girl waitresses out if it. She was a fantastic server. The hamburgers are great.

Dude, she seriously passed us over like what, literally 5 times before she took our order?

There were plenty of tight tshirt, dark rimmed glasses, trucker hat hipsters in the place who got served 3 times before she even looked in our direction.

Ah, that's right. We did have Britt with us. I would have skipped us over too.