Nevermore US Tour?

General Zod said:
You lost me. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Dimmu was the headliner on that tour. Nevermore went on 3rd, after Hypocrisy and COB.

--And didn't do too well, after following CoB on their first-ever US tour. (CoB's fans were rabid.)

The last time Nevermore headlined, it was in support of "Dead Heart". Opeth, Angel Dust and God Forbid opened for them. I saw them twice on that tour (NJ and NY). Both nights, half the crowd split after Opeth did their set. At the NJ show (Club Chrome), Nevermore didn't go on till 1:00AM. There were 50 people still there.

Yep, same thing happened in Atlanta. After the show, Jim Sheppard remarked that it had been like that at virtually every show, "but none quite so bad as here." He didn't sound angry, just...resigned.

Nevermore may be the bravest, most masochistic band around. First they headline following a fast-rising Swedish band's first-ever US tour; then they play after another fast-rising Finnish band's first-ever US tour slot...on a bill where they are the 'odd band out.'

Should they headline? Dunno. Maybe not.
Am I glad they're considering it? Sure! (As long as I don't have to settle up the accounts afterwards.)

General Zod said:
But when they play Bum-Fuck-Egypt on a Tuesday, I wouldn't be shocked if they drew under 100.

I'd say they got about 100 in BFE Denver on a Thursday night in November. Pretty close to what Symphony X got in the same joint on a Tuesday night two years ago. SX had Devon Townsend for support which seemed to be a fairly decent draw for the show. NM had a coupla local bands for support.

I'm not sure they'd draw any more with a well organized and advertised headline tour as opposed to the thrown together at the last minute short headline tour they did in the Fall. Everyone that was going to know about a NM headline show was there.

Pellaz said:
--And didn't do too well, after following CoB on their first-ever US tour. (CoB's fans were rabid.)
Didn't do too well in what respect? Crowd reaction? The fact that CoB fans turned out in force, is hardly something Nevermore can control. All they can do is go out and deliver a quality set. Which they did.
Pellaz said:
Yep, same thing happened in Atlanta. After the show, Jim Sheppard remarked that it had been like that at virtually every show, "but none quite so bad as here." He didn't sound angry, just...resigned.
Not surprised. Jim is a real good guy. It's a shame the band has to struggle the way they do.
Pellaz said:
First they headline following a fast-rising Swedish band's first-ever US tour;
I don't think anyone knew that Opeth would be received as well as they were... including Opeth.
Pellaz said:
...then they play after another fast-rising Finnish band's first-ever US tour slot...
Honestly, in Philly, I didn't get the sense that there were more people for CoB than there were for Nevermore. My sense was that most people were there for Dimmu.
Pellaz said:
...on a bill where they are the 'odd band out.'
They'll always be the odd-ball band. They're too heavy for any form of music, other than Extreme Metal. And they don't fit well with Extreme Metal because they use all clean vocals.
Pellaz said:
Am I glad they're considering it? Sure! (As long as I don't have to settle up the accounts afterwards.)
Agreed.

Zod

Can I just say that I love Nevermore on cd, but after seeing them play live I was not impressed. For some reason the power of their recordings due not translate well into a live show.

That's just my opinion, not trying to start crap here.

BABS said:
Can I just say that I love Nevermore on cd, but after seeing them play live I was not impressed. For some reason the power of their recordings due not translate well into a live show. That's just my opinion, not trying to start crap here.
No problem. Just out of curiosity, when and where did you see them? The reason I ask is, I've always considered Nevermore the best live act I've ever seen, which is a big part of why I'm such a big fan.

Zod

General Zod said:
If you want to drink, you are not allowed to take your drink on to the floor. You need to stay in the bar area.

Zod

Really? I've only seen 3 shows there, but everytime I could not only bring my drink wherever I wanted, but the 2 side bars (left & right of the stage) were also open & serving.

Seeing them at Wacken in 2001 was pretty amazing - since they were a mainstage act, they FELT like headliners that day and delivered a powerhouse performance in front of a crowd of 30,000. Almost anyone that is invited to play those mainstages becomes a headliner by default.

Dark One said:
Seeing them at Wacken in 2001 was pretty amazing - since they were a mainstage act, they FELT like headliners that day and delivered a powerhouse performance in front of a crowd of 30,000. Almost anyone that is invited to play those mainstages becomes a headliner by default.

Except that headlining a Euro festival does not equate to headlining a tour in the U.S. Unfortunately.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Except that headlining a Euro festival does not equate to headlining a tour in the U.S. Unfortunately.

Understood - I'm just saying that it was a fantastic environment in which to witness them playing live. They played for about an hour, yet had a full blown mega-headlining atmosphere and delivered a helluva show. Of course I WISH that headlining a Euro festival equated to headlining a U.S. tour. Unfortunately your name pretty much needs to be Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. for that to happen.

Dimmu was the headliner on that tour. Nevermore went on 3rd, after Hypocrisy and COB.

I'd attribute this more to the fact that they were touring for the subpar Enemies of Reality material. This was my least favorite Nevermore show as well, but it didn't have anything to do with them going on after CoB.

I'd say they got about 100 in BFE Denver on a Thursday night in November.

Denver has a pretty decent metal scene (they're not Chicago or NYC, but not "BFE" either).

They'll always be the odd-ball band. They're too heavy for any form of music, other than Extreme Metal. And they don't fit well with Extreme Metal because they use all clean vocals.

I think Nevermore fits in perfectly well with thrash. They're not thrash themselves, but at least thrash matches their heaviness, and it doesn't have death vocals. Some doom bands would also fit the bill; they might not be as fast and "brutal", but they'd match Nevermore's darkness. Even some power metal bands would be good. Some examples of what I think would be a good headlining spot for Nevermore are as follows:

Nevermore/Biomechanical/Imagika

Nevermore/Agent Steel/Twelfth Gate

Nevermore/Morgana Lefay/Tarot

Given Nevermore's style, they'd be far better off going out on the road with thrash or melodic death bands; there just aren't any "power thrash" type bands who would also draw (attendance) or be very interesting to see. At least not IMO.

Nevermore w/ Dark Tranquillity & Jag Panzer might be a decent show, or
Testament w/ Nevermore & (another thrash band) would be right on

At least as main support act, they'd get 60 minutes to play.

booB said:
I'd say they got about 100 in BFE Denver on a Thursday night in November.

Denver has a pretty decent metal scene (they're not Chicago or NYC, but not "BFE" either).

Compared to NYC and Chicago, Denver is BFE. It doesn't have nearly the population density that those two areas have. It's about an eight hour drive to another big city. I agree that overall Denver is not BFE. Yes, it does have a decent metal scene and has had for a number of years. The fact that they could only draw around 100 on a week night backs Zod's point fairly well, in my opinion.

General Zod said:
No problem. Just out of curiosity, when and where did you see them? The reason I ask is, I've always considered Nevermore the best live act I've ever seen, which is a big part of why I'm such a big fan.

Zod

I saw them when they opened up for Opeth this fall. As I watched them play, I realized that Jeff Loomis and the drummer basically carry that whole band. If it weren't for them it would have been really tragic.

Dark One said:
Nevermore/Iced Earth would probably go over well.

That's the first pairing I thought of, but truth be told, it's not really Shaffer's M.O. to bring a support act that could outshine them every night. I'm not saying they WOULD, but they certainly could.

BABS said:
I saw them when they opened up for Opeth this fall. As I watched them play, I realized that Jeff Loomis and the drummer basically carry that whole band. If it weren't for them it would have been really tragic.

Sheppard is a VERY solid bassist, and I love the complement to Loomis that Smyth has now become. Dane's vocals are well, take 'em or leave 'em (for many people, not me).

BABS said:
Can I just say that I love Nevermore on cd, but after seeing them play live I was not impressed. For some reason the power of their recordings due not translate well into a live show.

That's just my opinion, not trying to start crap here.
What's that supposed to mean. Nevermore are great live...you obviously just don't get them. Best live band - ever! You've really stirred the poo now.

...j/k:loco: :D :Spin: :wave: :D :tickled: :headbang::Spin: :loco: :wave:

MadeInNewJersey said:
That's the first pairing I thought of, but truth be told, it's not really Shaffer's M.O. to bring a support act that could outshine them every night. I'm not saying they WOULD, but they certainly could.

IE did have In Flames open for them a few years back - and they were still in "wowing the crowd over/Clayman/we're still your melodic death metal heroes" mode.

I don't think Schaffer would have a problem with Nevermore, unless it's for reasons other than their live show.

Jason