Neverworld Release date

there you go children you have been told!!! Now I hope you all realize what has been going on. Thanks for the explination but you could have held off on the patronizing tones. Have a bit of respect as we are the ones who buy the CD's.

nowandthen said:
Releasing a metal album in mid November to the end of the year is not a great idea because within a week or two it will be lost in the Christmas market.
Thank yous, I appreciate a lot of your reply to this subject in this case.

But oh well, I am not business professional except that I have studied andgratuated from business field. So marketing-wise I would released the album on time, now in between October and early December. Just because some people might be buying to for Christmas present. Sure metal music isn't the biggest in this market, though growing underground everyday. And in Finland at least "metal/harder/etc" music is very common on charts!

Anyway, thank you for your explanations. I respect them in a view of course.

Hi Again,
Just to try to answer a fe wof the points raised -

"But I do think that after the huge success at Bloodstock that the band have picked up some momentum and should have the album released ASAP along with a tour early next year."

Well, really we would have liked to have the album on sale, maybe even launched at Bloodstock but that was not possible because of the terms of the Japanese deal, which was struck prior to the band putting together the tour and Bloodstock show so couldn`t be helped.

"Like I've said I'm not an expert in your field but I don't see how a November release would weaken the record sales. If anything I think it would be better to have the album on sale before Christmas."

I have had this argument with so many people in the music business over the past 11 years but the answer I get is always the same. My point is that a Slayer fan today is a Slayer fan tomorrow and is still a Slayer fan in December so if Slayer released an album in December their fans would buy it. The music business answer is that they could only buy it if it were in the stores and around that time of year the stores are only interested in stocking huge quantities of the latest Christmas compilations and "Best Of"`s by MOR artists so they would tend to not have the money available or indeed space to stock decent quantities of less seasonal music.
So, the reason that Mid-November to the end of the year is a bad time for a release is nothing to do with the fan base - it`s simply down to the logistics of the bigger music business in general.
I`m sure there are examples of artists that have released at this time and had success but I would doubt that many were power metal acts that weren`t particularly well established already.

"Thanks for the explination but you could have held off on the patronizing tones."

Sorry if my post came over as patronising. I was merely trying to make my points in the simplest, most straightforward terms. But, is it acceptable for the fans to blast the label without hearing their reasons for a decision in the first place?

"But oh well, I am not business professional except that I have studied and gratuated from business field. So marketing-wise I would released the album on time, now in between October and early December."

The absolute earliest that we could have released the album was November 10th though. October was never an option because of the Japanese agreement. It is pretty much standard practice these days to give the Japanese release a couple of weeks priority. It`s not something I like or believe there is truly a need for but it is what it is and I can`t change it.
So, that would place the release period for the album right in the lead up to the Christmas market and we felt it was the wrong thing to do for the long term success of the album and the band.
Even if we released the album on November 10th within 2 weeks we are at the 24th and that`s just one month from Christmas so the album is effectively dead in the water within 2 weeks of it`s release.

"Just because some people might be buying to for Christmas present."

This is possible of course, but as I stated earlier, only if the stores would stock the product and that is much more likely after the Christmas period is over.
Look at the reverse possibility. People only have so much money to spend on CD`s at a given time. If they look for the Power Quest CD in late November/early December and can`t find it then when the Christmas period is over we are able to persuade the stores to take some stock, the people that were looking for it previously will have something else that they are wanting to spend their money on at that time. Obviously, I`m not talking about you guys that post here - the hardcore fans. I`m takling about the more casual purchaser who is interested in the PQ CD along with half a dozen others based on reading a few reviews. But if they don`t find the PQ CD the first couple of times they look for it they will give up and move on to something else.

For a band/album to really be a success we need to get beyond the hardcore fans and pick up casual listeners. Obviously, the hardcore fans are the lifeblood of any band and your support is greatly appreciated but if Power Quest are to become a big name within the scene we need people to buy it after reading a review or hearing an MP3 and it peaking their interest.

We have thought long and hard about this and decided that it is in the best long term interest of the album, the band and the label to delay the release until early 2004.

Obviously we apologise for causing you guys any grief at having to wait that bit longer...but at the same time I can tell you that it`s well worth the wait as the album is absolutely top class.

Bye for now,
Mark

Thanks Mark, more air just been refreshed I see! :)

Yeah, as a hardcore fan, I can count myself as one, about PowerQuest as well. But not only, many other bands as well. So for me life is really expensive, somewhat tiring also when I read record companies going to delay something! I can live with it anyway of course. And as I have said, there is a plan to buy Japanese edition of it now, maybe going to do it... and if not, I will wait until the year 2004, no questions about it.

Fact: never read before some record label manager's statements in such a moment like this is. I respect Now & Then (Frontiers) label more after this in a way. Plus one big important wish: hopefully your records can be found from Finland more easy than before. Sometimes really have to look for, or order from Sweden via help from friends there! Who is your distributor here - by the way, isn't it Spinefarm Records from Helsinki?

While the delay of the album sucks, it's a consolation to know there's good reason behind it. I'm very impressed in our record company man talking the trouble to explain it in detail :) now give PQ a video budget so they can have a single in the charts! :D

I'll pick up an import copy also...can't figure out the Japanese HMV site at all though :confused:

Regarding the Japanese release Ayeka, you could try talking to Steve Price at Zroxx records (link at PQ HQ) to see if he can order it for you.

Thanks to Mark Ashton for coming on the forum and explaining everything for everyone.

Symphony said:
Regarding the Japanese release Ayeka, you could try talking to Steve Price at Zroxx records (link at PQ HQ) to see if he can order it for you.
Cheers geez :) I'll look into that.

Hey Mark, where can I get Rob Bendelow's (Templar's) Come To The Light album? And I gathered your label is mostly concerned with AOR and symphonic rock and so on - which would you say sound most like Saracen? Saracen kick ass. :cool:

PS, that album cover rules.

Anyone know of any other place to order this album from Japan? The site that was posted wants to charge me $20 for standard shipping.

Hi Again,
Just to asnwer a couple of questions asked earlier -

"hopefully your records can be found from Finland more easy than before. Sometimes really have to look for, or order from Sweden via help from friends there! Who is your distributor here - by the way, isn't it Spinefarm Records from Helsinki?"

At the moment we aer giong through Atenzia in Scandinavia and they`re distributor is Bonnier Amigo. Their website is at

http://www.bonniermusic.fi

Might be worth contacting them about the lack of availability of the products in your area.

That`s if the album is released through our current partners, Frontiers. This has not been settled yet because I want them to make certain guarantees as I believe strongly in this band. I don`t want them to br treated as an unknown AOR band and be lumped in with the other titles that Frontiers are responsible for as that will be very bad for this release. It has to be treated differently. If we can get them to agree to the same level of promotion that they usually give the top AOR titles but to aim it at the metal crowd then we will have a successful release.
I`m talking with one or two other potential companies as well but I can`t erally say much more at this point. As soon as things aer settled we`ll make a news statement about it.

"Hey Mark, where can I get Rob Bendelow's (Templar's) Come To The Light album?

You can buy it directly from Rob himself. The url is -

http://www.templarmusic.co.uk/order.htm

Tell him I sent you. He`s a really nice guy. He`s currently working on a concept album which will be based on the Knight Templar, which is a subject I`m also very keen on so it`s going to be very interesting.

"And I gathered your label is mostly concerned with AOR and symphonic rock and so on - which would you say sound most like Saracen? Saracen kick ass."

That`s a tough one really. I wouldn`t like to point you in the wrong direction. I`d say the best thing to do is to listen to the soundbytes of the bands, which are either on our website (www.nowandthen.co.uk) or by following the links to the various artists own sites.
You should definitely check out the Bob Catley solo albums, Ten, Millenium and Harem Scarem as they are the most successful bands on the label and all are top quality.
Hope that helps.

Bye for now,
Mark

...Saracen is a class album. Any plans for Now & Then to re-release/revamp their earlier albums at all?
I recommend the Bob Catley & Gary Hughes albums to you all as they are fine examples of melodic metal.
Roll on 2004 & Power Quest's 'NeverWorld'!

Yeah, the Bob Catley album is awesome. I've not heard the new Gary Hughes yet but it's definitely on my list. :D

I should hopefully have the Jap version of Neverworld very soon, and I also look forward to the UK release. I wanna have both!!

Symphony said:
There is no link at PQ HQ? :erk:

Found the "English" button on the HMV site finally >_< :p I'll get onto that this weekend :) Cheers!