Neverworld Reviews

You're welcome!
And Kitty, can you speak spanish? When I visited some friends of mine in Spain a while back, I tried to learn some spanish.. but damn, it's a tough language to learn.. I don't remember a single spanish word now I tell ya.. I can speak some german though! :D
ehh.. soo anyway, please translate the review for us ;)

Yes I do it was my first langauge even though I was born in the States. I had to learn English in kindergarten and first grade.

Right now still at school. Actually this will be good practice with my spanish and english skills. Never let the mother tongue die! :p It is surprising how many latino kids in my school have never had their parents teach them Spanish! Losing the heritage +shakes head+

I would say they are lazy parents! hehe. I very much understand what you mean here. And I totally agree with you, never let the mother tongue die! Important to keep heritage. That could also lead to problems if you're to extreme about it. Foreign people over here don't speak norwegian and they don't bother to learn it either. I'm sure some try to learn norwegian, but it's very few. When they want to communicate with us they're using english. It shouldn't be that way.

At first glance anyone can see the group of musicians and the presentation of this disc and think “another boring disc of power metal ?”, and in principle they wouldn’t be far off the beaten path. The disc has a decided power metal base but with excellent advanced melodies and above all two or three tracks of pure melodic hard rock ( a la 80’s ) that takes a step away from the habitual thump of the double pedal. Very much in the style of Dream Evil with their “Children of the Night” album.

The band revolves around the figure of British keyboardist Steve Williams, also a member of Dragonforce who has surrounded himself with good Italian musicians, above all vocalist Alessio Garavello, whose transalpine origins are much appreciated, singing in some excellent medium tones. He doesn’t need to shriek not even on tracks such as “Sacred Land”, “Well of Souls”, or even the epic “Temple of Fire”

Of course where Garavello and the rest of the group bring it out is on is on: “Edge of Time” a track along the purest lines of Statetrooper/Shy and with keyboards that remind me of Van Halen but without going overboard, also reminded me of the catchy “For Evermore”.

Beautiful too is “When I’m Gone” a mid-tempo ballad full of melody. They close with the extensive “Lost Without You”, a track that resumes all the elements of this disc, keyboards, melody,good vocals ( feminie ones included),and a dose of bombast.

A work that can call attention to itself from power metallers and also those looking for something with a good melody. An interesting and original work.

Mariano Palomo (Alianza)

DISCLAIMER: I reworked some phrases because in translating them directly from the Spanish they didn't sound right somehow. :p

Pretty good review altough he did make the mistake of saying Steve was in Dragonforce currently. +confused+

WeekendWarrior said:
I would say they are lazy parents! hehe. I very much understand what you mean here. And I totally agree with you, never let the mother tongue die! Important to keep heritage. That could also lead to problems if you're to extreme about it. Foreign people over here don't speak norwegian and they don't bother to learn it either. I'm sure some try to learn norwegian, but it's very few. When they want to communicate with us they're using english. It shouldn't be that way.
I know what you are saying dude....it's the same in my homeland of Wales!

^Believe me I know what you mean! My parents immigrated more than twenty years ago and STILL do not speak fluent English. My sisters and I must always translate eveyrthing for them. They also get pushy sometimes when I want to watch english language tv programs and they want to watch the spanish programs. :lol:

From Metal Mayhem......

Band: Power Quest
Album: Neverworld (Now & Then Records)
Year: 2004 (Release Date: 15.03.04)
Rating: 10/10

The UK's Power Quest return with the follow-up to 2002's "Wings of Forever", and once again it proves to be an absolute killer.

Can they put a foot wrong? I doubt it very much. This time around the band have opted for a much more keyboard/synth orientated approach to things which really does add that that extra touch. They've also adopted a more mature songwriting style which, although maybe not as instantly catchy as some of the songs on "Wings of Forever", this album is much stronger overall. They still maintain the excellent traditional galloping rhythms, soaring vocals and triumphant choruses, but add many more layers and much more melody to proceedings. If your into Stratovarious and/or Sonata Artica, you will find Power Quest's "Neverworld" very interesting indeed and a worthy addition to your collection!

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/strutterzine/HOTNEWREVIEWS26.htm

POWER QUEST ‘NEVERWORLD’
(FRONTIERS RECORDS/BERTUS)

One of the first Power Metalbands signed to FRONTIERS RECORDS is POWER QUEST. They hail from the UK and already proved on their debut ‘Wings of forever’ (UNDERGROUND SYMPHONY RECORDS) that they were a sensational Melodic Power Metalband who played in the style of RHAPSODY, NOCTURNAL RITES and LABYRINTH. 9 songs are included, with a total playing length of 60 minutes, packed in a superb production by Karl Groom, while the CD was mixed by Pete Coleman (AC/DC, GARY HUGHES, PARADISE LOST). Without a doubt, ‘Neverworld’ is a high quality release, which doesn’t bore at all from the first seconds of the song “Neverworld (Power Quest 2)” until the closing track “Lost without you”. In between you can find a pleasant mixture of Melodic Rock and Power Metal with catchy memorable hooks and choruses and soaring lead- and harmonyvocals. Highlights are “Neverworld” (classy Melodic Power Metal), “Edge of time” (pure 80s Melodic Rock, keys, a la EUROPE/SHY), “Sacred land” (happy fast Italo Power Metal), “Into the light” (STRATOVARIUSish catchy fast Melodic Power Metal) and “For evermore” (catchy 80s Melodic Rock, best song!). Recommended piece to fans of RHAPSODY, LABYRINTH, KAMELOT, although there’s also some pure 80s Melodic Rock included, so it’s not all the way Power Metal...

(Points: 8.5 out of 10)

One of my flatmates, who is into Indie mostly but also other sort of "poppy" bands actually liked the neverworld album, reckons its got quite a pop feel to it than most of the stuff i listen to. He set me the mission of finding a metalband he liked before the academic year was over and ive suceeded :D

he also said that Power Quest was the best looking metal he'd ever seen aswell, think those italian stallions swayed him ;) :lol:

BLOGCRITICS.ORG

POWER QUEST "NeverWorld"

Take an interesting combination of Styx (non-Dennis DeYoung material),
Helloween and Dream Theater in your head to have an idea of Power Quest.
Now add a dash of 1984 era Van Halen. That is not to say the material is
derivative by any measure; there is enough originality in the nine tracks
to make this a steller find. Oh, yes, and for a change they aren't some
talented musicians from the sub-arctic North of Europe or from the
beer-swilling valleys of Germany. This lot is from Southampton, of all
places. They have produced an album which is almost on par with the debut
release from erstwhile Helloween members of Masterplan. No lame vocals, or
over-widdly bits, as is so common on power prog albums, just damn good
music. The final track maybe 10 minutes long, but it goes by rather
nicely, especially with the lovely female vocals on 'Lost Without You'.
Yes, this lot are that good. I, for one, can't wait to see them live.

4.5 / 5

Marty Dodge

Hey, Steve...where is the fire!? My german isn't too bad, hahaha!

Voilà, I hope you enjoy it!

"POWER QUEST – clichée pure, you gonna think. Correct! The name stands for the musical style –POWER METAL- and the addition of “Quest” gives a hint to the themes of the lyrics – warrior, glory, destiny, etc – So it is obvious to compare with bands like Rhapsody and Freedom call.
The band, founded in 2001, here, presents there second album after “WoF”. In the middle of 2002 I met Steve Scott bassplayer and co-founder in the first row of Edguys 10 years jubilée show, and he told me about his plans. Wow, this guy must be mad, flying all the way from england to this little place in germany only to see this concert – but: who makes that, is gonna put his own band out probably pretty well – voilà! Respect – especially in the UK, where not much is going on concerning Power Metal, except for Dragonforce.
The title track starts out with a keyboard intro and gains tempo soon. Basically an average song, but with a catchy character. Alessio Garavellos high pitch voice turns it into a very cool opener that really can stand for the album – additional, it is pretty long. Just the nice and mellow outro is a little odd.
Temple of fire doesn’t really make a change in style, also a fast piece with key-intro. The chorus is slightly more complicated, but really not much. Again Edge of time features a keyboard intro, but it is more a rocky mid tempo piece, that makes me thinking of bands like e.g. Royal Hunt.
With Sacred Land we are back to a speedy song like the first two, but it doesn’t reach the same quality, it seems to me, there is too much words for the verses and the chorus! Cool and melodic though is the guitar solo – the keyboard just appeas shortly. For this style, the song seems really unorthodox, but not bad at all. I would say: you have to get used to it!
When I’m gone – I would say it’s the “oh, we have to have one” ballad, not really saying much. At first totally accoustic, then entering drums and electric guitar from the 2nd verse on. Unfortunatelly, Alessio’s voice is a little weak here, especially in the chorus.
But the voice gets much better on For Evermore, here, Alessio shows his abilities, while the instruments play a solid mid tempo sound, more keyboard oriented. A few tempo changes, a break down, and then back to the regular tempo of the tune.
Into the light is a typical song for the album, nothing special, through and through speedy and solid – ok.
Lost without You shows the most variety. From balladesque (featuring guest vocalist Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge), stomping mi tempo up to up tempo. This track shows, how much songwriting potential is in PQ, definetelly the best song on the album!
To everybody who can not have enough melody in Power Metal, I highly recommend this CD. There is no one who shows PQ anything in terms of melodies. Even fans of Dragonforce can buy the album without worrying. But it should be mentioned that the production is not bad, but a mix with more pressure would have not been a bad thing to do."

All the best,

Andre