New album Foregone out February 2023

TJR is a great album. Though the right expression, I'm talking about music theory, is "fucking enjoyable".

Reactions: DE4life
Music theory rates Whoracle higher, it just hits different, because it suffers for being the second in line to a good record, so even if it's improved on it in many ways, it's not as memorable of an experience for people. TJR went from unknown, so 0, to great for many people, let's say 92 (on a standard music theory scale of 103), so it floored people. Whoracle improving that to 98 was not nearly as a big hit.

Reactions: eochaid
I prefer Whoracle to be fair. But we all know that music theory is not my strong point.

I still can't believe that album hasn't leaked yet. The album literally released to some people. I pre-ordered the vinly too but it looks like Nuclear Blast is too smart in my case :D

Maybe, because not everyone have the tools to leak a vinyl. Or they don't understand music theory.

Music theory rates Whoracle higher, it just hits different, because it suffers for being the second in line to a good record, so even if it's improved on it in many ways, it's not as memorable of an experience for people. TJR went from unknown, so 0, to great for many people, let's say 92 (on a standard music theory scale of 103), so it floored people. Whoracle improving that to 98 was not nearly as a big hit.

Okay but if that logic was true I'd like whoracle more because I have no nostalgia associated with either and when I listened through in flames's discography I went in reverse chronological order so I heard whoracle before TJR. It's purely subjective. Music theory makes zero difference to an albums success and the difference it makes to how enjoyable an album is is entirely subjective.

Honestly I might prefer Whoracle as well. I love both albums but Whoracle might edge it on overall quality. TJR wins on atmosphere. Tough call.

Reactions: eochaid
So it turns out the reason Ultimate Vocal Remover never recognised that I had an NVIDIA graphics card was because my driver was something like 2 years out of date. Pretty sure that's why I could never get Stable Diffusion to work either. Annoying. Anyway, now rather than taking 7-10 mins to create an instrumental it takes about 1 minute, so if anyone has an requests, give me a holla :cool:

Whoracle has some great songs on it but it also has a lot of not very memorable ones for me - not bad songs, still good, just forgettable and unremarkable - but for me TJR is front to back bangers

So it turns out the reason Ultimate Vocal Remover never recognised that I had an NVIDIA graphics card was because my driver was something like 2 years out of date. Pretty sure that's why I could never get Stable Diffusion to work either. Annoying. Anyway, now rather than taking 7-10 mins to create an instrumental it takes about 1 minute, so if anyone has an requests, give me a holla :cool:

So does this mean you're the channel who has been uploading instrumentals of all the new in flames singles to YouTube then?

Whoracle has some great songs on it but it also has a lot of not very memorable ones for me - not bad songs, still good, just forgettable and unremarkable - but for me TJR is front to back bangers

I was going through the Whoracle tracklist and honestly it was like, 9/10 or 10/10 for everything except the title track, which is basically just an outro instrumental anyway and really nice in its own right. Whereas on TJR there is Dead God in Me which is only a 7.5/10 for me, and thus brings it slightly below Whoracle in the overall standings. Also whilst I'd say TJR has a lot of 9/10 tracks for me, Whoracle has more 10/10's with Jotun, Gyroscope, Jester Script and Episode 666.

I think of Whoracle as more "userfriendly" than TJR. It's easier to get into it. I guess it's because the melodies are more polished. I don't know. Still, it's due to the melodies that I like it more than the previous effort. I also feel like it's more balanced when it comes to the use of different pacings. Like it's a perfect combination of slow, fast and midtempo songs.

Reactions: Jester Slave
Also, interestingly, Anders has writing credits for one song on Whoracle - Morphing Into Primal. I'm curious as to what he contributed. It can't just be lyrics or vocal lines, as he isn't credited on any other songs.

I love DoTL as is, but if I have to pick something I would do a little differently, it would be the production. But still, it's a great album.
Yep, totally agree. I said the same exact thing. DotL is flat compared to the new IF. If they had the same production they would have dominated.

Agree TJR is awesomely mixed. Old school? Yes. But pretty much perfect for the tone. Anyone that complains, turn up the volume. When loud the mix is perfect.

But Colony shitty? Wow. Colony to me is 10/10 IF sound to me. Better than Clayman for sure.

TJR actually sounded “ancient” 23 years ago when I first heard it. It’s not about the age. Like eochaid said, it sounds timeless. The production evokes a nostalgic bittersweet past. It was designed that way on purpose. It hasn’t aged, it was always that way, and it always will be.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Yep, totally agree. I said the same exact thing. DotL is flat compared to the new IF. If they had the same production they would have dominated.

Agree TJR is awesomely mixed. Old school? Yes. But pretty much perfect for the tone. Anyone that complains, turn up the volume. When loud the mix is perfect.

But Colony shitty? Wow. Colony to me is 10/10 IF sound to me. Better than Clayman for sure.

I just wish the kick drum was punchier. I love the album though.