New album Foregone out February 2023

My favorite Reddit post at the moment comes from user Eseless, who says:

"Average? Really? "Foregone" is one of their best albums, it's not up for discussion"

Thanks for clearing that up for me. He has spoken, everyone! Don't even think about discussing how bad this album is! Eseless is telling you right now that it's great and should not be discussed anymore. I know I've changed my mind just based on this guy telling me so.

I love Foregone now. It's just the best.

Great way to start the album indeed. This song makes me think of my favorite from We are the Void album witch is Shadow in our Blood.

Iridium and Her Silent Language are the only two songs I find passable from WATV. I have a pretty strong dislike for that album, although I find the title to be very apt.

My favorite Reddit post at the moment comes from user Eseless, who says:

"Average? Really? "Foregone" is one of their best albums, it's not up for discussion"

Thanks for clearing that up for me. He has spoken, everyone! Don't even think about discussing how bad this album is! Eseless is telling you right now that it's great and should not be discussed anymore. I know I've changed my mind just based on this guy telling me so.

I love Foregone now. It's just the best.

:D a shame for the lad that JesterHead isn't still around, he'd be a prime candidate for moderator duties.

Maybe he can just restart it with the band's blessing. I'm sure Anders loves a good fan boy spewing nonsense.

Krofius' defection to the dark side is probably still something that cuts Anders deep to this day :( if Krofi-kun can escape the cult, theoretically anyone can. Might be why JesterHead fell apart.

Got it. Found his balanced review a few pages back.

Gave it a spin, the ''metal'' side is definitely an improvement over the last couple albums at least. Really like Anders utilizing his death growls continuously on the album.
However like the last 2 albums, the overprocessed cleans turn me completely off of basically every song they feature. They are to ''catchy'' sounding and poppy. SOAPF is probably my favorite album when it comes to Anders cleans. A prime example being Where the Dead Ships Dwell. One of my alltime favorite choruses from IF/Anders, and it's purely because of the vocals. They are unique sounding.
I get people like the catchy and poppy choruses, especially people who aren't into the more heavy stuff, for them it can probably be a good bridge dynamically with the heavier sounding verses on the album. But for me it's just fucking boring honestly. It's way to much "anthem" sounding. And even in the verses with clean vocals, like Pure Light of Mind, they have this processed effect which ruins it completely. There is plenty of other songs where he can do the calm cleans in a good way imo, like The Chosen Pessimist, Come Clarity, Dawn of A New Day & Metaphor. Those still sound unique and hard to copy (whether you like it or not), recent couple albums the cleans has lost the Anders touch imo.

I'm sure people a lot of people will love the album though, especially people who love more catchier/poppier sounding clean vocals. That's completely fine, it's just not for me. Rhythm guitars are the biggest step-up imo. I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout most of the album. Drums also really nice.

Pros:
Production is much better than Battles & I, The Mask. Much more crispy, crunchy and clear sounding guitars and drums, without sounding overproduced.
Instrumentally it sounds better than in many years
Anders harsh vocals sound great, especially the increased utilization of death growls

Cons:
The overprocessed poppy sounding vocals completely drags the album down. And the cadence/melodies sometimes just sounds so fucking weird and off to me. And every song doesn't need to go for a catchy chorus with the same formula either..

Sadly, like last couple albums, won't probably be spinning this one much. Maybe it can grow on me a bit like other albums have, we'll see. But I just know the overly poppy sounding vocals does not scream high replay value to my ears.

But then again, I don't really listen to that much IF anymore anyways. But I will say, they sounded fucking great live when I saw them in December. So I will probably catch them live more times for sure.

Moment for me is a great album... If I'm in the mood for it. If not, I find it boring. Hard to explain really. Has some songs I really like, but it's also a little boring. Great artwork though. For me nothing will touch Character and Atoma, to me they are head and shoulders above the rest of the DT discography. Honourable mention to Damage Done though. I like all their albums Projector onwards to different degrees, and The Gallery has it's moments too.

Reactions: drawntoblack
The Gallery, The Mind’s I & Character are my favorite.

I agree about what you said regarding Moment. The thing is, according to me, it applies to Atoma too.

I've also been messing around this weekend trying to learn some of the fun bits on the new album. Ignore me badly trying to work out the rhythm guitar behind Chris's solo because I'm shit, but Meet Your Maker has some really fun riffs to play in it, the verse is really groovy If you can get it tight, I seem to have (for the most part) figured out the chorus by ear, and the intro/outro is just pure chugging. My type of guitar riffs haha

I know that this is subjective but, the same way that modern IF is not for me, I don't see how their previous career is for someone with that way of thinking because the differences are just to big.

Reactions: The Grayfox
I know that this is subjective but, the same way that modern IF is not for me, I don't see how their previous career is for someone with that way of thinking because the differences are just to big.

Not necessarily. I got into the band around the time of R2R/STYE. I remember listening to a lot of those two records and they definitely served as a gateway into death metal and other music with harsh vocals for me. Then I slowly started going back into the earlier stuff and definitely picked and chose songs, some were too much, some were way better than R2R but gradually with time I developed a sense of what I liked and what I didn't, as well as criteria for why I held those opinions.

Reddit is just funny. I guess there are probably some legitimate opinions there, a lot of people however are very directly disingenuous for karma. I'm sure label has some interns doing indirect social media PR too since it's such a large part of things nowadays. The closest to reality reddit gets is when you sort comments by controversial, and even then it's heavily curated.

As far as "best album ever", good luck getting into an argument with anyone sane and trying to convince them that any 16 bars of music off Foregone Siren Battles is better than the interlude-solo section of Zombie Inc.