New Album leaked

Well technically Devin Townsend and everyone involved probably don't care a rat's ass about this forum anymore. They've had a new one up at hevydevy.com for a while now.
I don't see the problem, even so. There's hardly anything you can do about albums leaking, except not sending promos. What's the problem in letting people talk about it, official forum or not?

And the new SYL sounds pretty disappointing, but it's a pretty bad rip as well.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Well technically Devin Townsend and everyone involved probably don't care a rat's ass about this forum anymore. They've had a new one up at hevydevy.com for a while now.
I don't see the problem, even so. There's hardly anything you can do about albums leaking, except not sending promos. What's the problem in letting people talk about it, official forum or not?

And the new SYL sounds pretty disappointing, but it's a pretty bad rip as well.

The problem is, it's stealing! By announcing it, bragging about it, and letting people know where to get it is a slap in the face to the artist, and it doesn't matter if he cares about the forum or not. This is NOT a mp3 forum, or a music trading forum. It's not a place to pass along information to steal the artists work, and there is nothing you can say that can justify that. People should have some respect for the bands. It's one thing to talk about a review, or the CD if you have an official copy, or hell, even if you did steal a copy off the internet, and want to talk about the music, our of RESPECT, if nothing else, you should not post garbage like "The new cd leaked on the p2p's!" That is wrong any way you look at it.

Maybe being an artist myself, i'm more sensitive to this, but I promise you, Devin is not sitting at home with a huge smile on his face, happy that his music leaked early. No one needs to get it rubbed in their face in a forum he paid for, and if he cares about the forum or not doesnt matter, he still paid for this, and until it expires, it's still HIS.

Devy did post on the other message board and said that he hopes that people are enjoying the album...obviously he would probably like it more if the album didn't leak, but I think that lately bands as well as others are realizing that you can't really do anything, and so they decide not to get all that stressed over it.
I guess you are right in that people should have that much respect as to not post about a leaked album on a band's forum if the band objects. In some cases the band doesn't, like with the new Dark Tranquillity album we've been given pretty much free hands to talk about the album as long as no information about how and where to download it is posted.
It is stealing and wrong ,for a given value of "wrong", in my books as well, but the ends justify the means. I'll probably even end up buying To Welcome The Fade or The Knowing some day, unless I somehow don't like them in the future. ;) I don't think I'd even know of your band if it wasn't for this filthy illegal thing called filesharing. Of course that doesn't make it any less illegal, but it is my personal justification.

Anyway, no one here is giving out information or bragging about downloading the album, so I don't know what you're on about with that. "P2P" is not very specific.

I didn't expect a negative reaction from anyone when I created this thread. I'd delete it, if I could.

I just know that Mr. Townsend encourages people to download his music if they want to, because he knows that everybody who even remotely calls him/herself a fan, will buy the CD when it's finally out (like I will, for example). Besides that, I don't even have a "P2P" program installed on my computer because I don't really like MP3s. I still haven't heard the album. It's just that I was curious and in case of THIS album, waiting is just too hard - especially now that already tons of people have heard it and are writing about the album on the forums (that happend already before I created this thread) - and like somebody already said, he said on the new official forums that he hopes everybody enjoys the new ("leaked") album.

As I said, I'd delete this, but it isn't technically possible.

Yes it is...all you do is delete the first post. I would however appreciate you not deleting the thread, because I did take some time to write those posts and it would be kind of annoying if they just disappeared.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Yes it is...all you do is delete the first post. I would however appreciate you not deleting the thread, because I did take some time to write those posts and it would be kind of annoying if they just disappeared.

I searched for a "delete" button/option everywhere, but didn't find anything. All I can do is edit the text of the first post (which I already did).

I guess this is sort of a suicidal move towards my posts, but you click the "edit" button like you obviously already did, then you look at the left side of the page where a circle saying "do not delete message" is checked, you change that to the circle "delete message" below. Then you click the "delete this message" button in the middle of the page below those two circles.
And that's what you won't do now, right? :)

i agree with everything said above about not-stealing and not-downloading/sharing files, but want to ask you this:
what if people aren't able to hear the album in any other way than downloading it off the net?

i live in fucking serbia, and there haven't been original CDs here to buy for over a decade, especially the metal ones (even from bigger labels such as century media).

i, as a real fan of some band, will find some way to buy an original CD from my fav, but really cannot afford to buy all the CDs i wish to hear.

discouraged1 said:
i agree with everything said above about not-stealing and not-downloading/sharing files, but want to ask you this:
what if people aren't able to hear the album in any other way than downloading it off the net?

i live in fucking serbia, and there haven't been original CDs here to buy for over a decade, especially the metal ones (even from bigger labels such as century media).

i, as a real fan of some band, will find some way to buy an original CD from my fav, but really cannot afford to buy all the CDs i wish to hear.

My complaint is not about downloading, because there is nothing that will stop this. My point was to have enough respect for the artist to not announce or brag about the fact that you did it, and certainly NOT on one of the bands own forums. It's just WRONG.

Is it still wrong when the band approves of it? I don't mean bragging of course...because, as I said, no one here has done so. For example, Devin (SYL) and Dark Tranquillity don't seem to have a problem with fans discussing their leaked albums on their official forums, as long as no info about how to download the album is posted.

I might be a huge flaming diamond-encrusted retard, but I think trying to enforce any sort of morals in such a widely accessable and anonymous domain as the internet is a pretty futile pursuit. People are assholes. Then again, I might also be somewhat of a misanthropist.

this isnt something thats been a problem in the 21st century, its been going on since the 80's at least. new bands come around and people want to hear them so they get a recording from a live show or a taped song on a cassette. so this has been going on and it only has gotten the attention because of the mass amounts of trading and d/ling and also the obvious reason lars ulrich. but in both senses its wrong and right to do d/l from artists. its right in the sense you want to sample the songs BEFORE you buy the whole record. and in this day and age cds arent too cheap either. i dont know about all of you but i dont have an extra 18-20 bucks lying around to throw away on a cd from a band that ove never heard of or only heard a 20 second clip in 64kb rate. i cant make a decision like that and neither can alot of other people. and in the wrong sense obviously the stealing portion of it but thats common sense now but its going to happen and will happen till the media changes and it becomes impossible to use a computer to make copies. thus creating a paradigm shift that NO ONE will want.

my friend who is a HUGE SYL fan has a downloaded copy of new SYL. it is probably off a promo because it has some ups and downs with the volume occassionaly.

the album rocks. like Terria, but stronger and angrier.

of course he will buy the original CD.
he was just dying to hear it asap.

cheers